International student building a computer from scratch

wahoyaho

Gawd
Hi guys, I'm an international student and I'll be moving to the US for graduate school in August. I'm thinking about buying a new computer from scratch for when I get there, and this is what I have so far.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20892707

Any comments and/or suggestions and advices are welcome. Thanks!
PS: I plan on getting the I5 2400 for ~$157 at MicroCenter when I arrive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
A little bit of everything, little bit of gaming, entertainment (music, videos), work, web, etc

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Trying to keep it as cheap as possible while have acceptable name brand components. Definitely trying to keep it under 1K.

3) Where do you live?
I'll be in Boston, MA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Pretty much everything I have in my wishlist, unless I missed something essential for the computer to run.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Light overclock for GPU probably.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I'm using 22" 1680x1050 right now and haven't really found a reason to get a 1920x1080 monitor yet. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise?

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next month, August 2011.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
Anything extra is just a bonus.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 7 64bit

A month is a long time away, especially since new deals will be posted come August and what we recommend now won't be the same as next month. Bump or re-create the thread with 2~3 weeks before buying at most :D

A month is a long time away, especially since new deals will be posted come August and what we recommend now won't be the same as next month. Bump or re-create the thread with 2~3 weeks before buying at most :D

The combo deals between now and then will change. You'll want to wait until Newegg's August combos come out to get final pricing.

In the meantime, to give you an idea of specs, you're probably looking at something roughly like this:

$150-$180 -- Microcenter Core i5 2400/2500k
$120 - Some P67 or Z68 motherboard
$50 - 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$200 to $250 - Radeon 6870 to GeForce GTX 560Ti or Radeon 6950 (depends on pricing and budget)
$60 - case (HAF 912 or similar)
$60 - 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drive (Samsung F3 usually)
$60 - 100 good power supply (probably a 600 to 750W unit)
$20 - DVD burner
Total: $750 before shipping/taxes

Leaves room for an SSD boot drive, a good monitor, etc. I guess you'll need a keyboard and mouse too, but that could be anywhere from $20 to $100 depending on what type you want. And who knows, maybe the combo prices will be even lower next month.

Back