International SIM Card -- Visiting USA from Tunisia

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all,

This is my first time actually getting a SIM card for traveling purposes. I actually just got a phone to do it. I got an LG Optimus 7 unlocked and will be traveling to USA. I did some reading and was kinda shocked about how much money it costs to make simple phone calls from USA to Tunisia and vice versa. One website I saw said they charged $2.50 a minute. That's pretty outrageous.

I'm hoping some of you may lend your experience on this. I know that AT&T is probably the most reliable (I'll be in NYC) but for emergency purposes, I'd like to call back to Tunisia. I actually don't want monthly plans as I'm not going to be using my phone except for special cases. I'd text more often than talking. So I'd like some sort of pay as you go where in Tunisia people can recharge their account and make calls for whatever amount they put in the account.

Which carrier should I sign up for? Is there a cheaper price for making calls? Which offers pay as you go service rather than a monthly plan?

Thanks all! :)

I know Net10 has an "unlimited" talk, text, data international plan for $60/$65 a month; Net10 runs under ATT or T-Mobile. I know Cricket does too, but I don't know how they are in NYC.

Other than that, you might have to get Google Voice, use Skype, or just buy a phone card.

Take a look at Net10, Simple, T-Mobile (They are month/month only now, no contract), in NYC T-Mo or ATT will be your best bet, ATT just released a month/month service as well, cannot remember what it is called though. As for calling back home on a cell, i'd check with using Google Voice, or a phone card tbh, but call / ask the customer service reps for the companies to get actual information.

Thanks to everyone for the quick ideas. These are spot on. I'm leaning to one of Net10's offerings and even the phone card idea. I'll definitely give them a call if I have a question. Again, appreciate it.

Back