International prepaid sim card?

SockMan!

2[H]4U
Does anyone have any experience with international prepaid SIM cards (that can be bought in the US) such as the ones from Telestial?

My mother is going to be visiting Thailand for a while. She wants to take a cell phone with her, and In order to keep complications to a minimum and prevent Bill Shock, we want to get her a basic unlocked cell phone and prepaid SIM card that can be used in Thailand before she leaves the US (mainly so we can set it up, show how to use it, and know the phone number ahead of time). This will be used strictly for International calls - no data, no SMS, and probably no local (in Thailand) calls. It will just be used for emergencies and perhaps the occasional (short) status update.

Does anyone have any experience with international prepaid SIM cards (that can be bought in the US) such as the ones from Telestial?

My mother is going to be visiting Thailand for a while. She wants to take a cell phone with her, and In order to keep complications to a minimum and prevent Bill Shock, we want to get her a basic unlocked cell phone and prepaid SIM card that can be used in Thailand before she leaves the US (mainly so we can set it up, show how to use it, and know the phone number ahead of time). This will be used strictly for International calls - no data, no SMS, and probably no local (in Thailand) calls. It will just be used for emergencies and perhaps the occasional (short) status update.

Have you considered utilizing a smart device with a Skype calling plan? If she is only going to use it for emergencies and occasional status updates then I see no reason for dealing with a cellular service. Unless she is going to be in remote areas of Thailand, finding wireless networks isn't going to be an issue.

whatever you get here won't compare to the price you'd pay over there. Using a Thai sim would be infinitely cheaper. All she'd need to do it pop the SIM in and tell you guys the number. You can buy an unlocked basic flip phone here and program in all the US based numbers before she goes.

Have you considered utilizing a smart device with a Skype calling plan? If she is only going to use it for emergencies and occasional status updates then I see no reason for dealing with a cellular service. Unless she is going to be in remote areas of Thailand, finding wireless networks isn't going to be an issue.

She is going to be staying mostly in rural areas. Internet is not an option and she's not the type to understand that, let alone Skype. The most easy to use and basic cell phone is a requirement. Naturally, I'd get the cell phone here - the ones in Thailand are crap.

She at least knows the basic concept of SIM cards, so she might be able to make do with getting one there. However, I am investigating other options that may result in a more "seemless" experience (setting it up for her before she leaves), even if it costs a little bit more.

whatever you get here won't compare to the price you'd pay over there. Using a Thai sim would be infinitely cheaper. All she'd need to do it pop the SIM in and tell you guys the number. You can buy an unlocked basic flip phone here and program in all the US based numbers before she goes.

Bump.

That's what I'm leaning toward now - getting the cell phone here and the SIM card in Thailand. She said that she may use it there for local calls too.

Thanks for your help!

That's what I'm leaning toward now - getting the cell phone here and the SIM card in Thailand. She said that she may use it there for local calls too.

Thanks for your help!

Do you know anyone in thailand that could buy & mail you a sim? Then it would be totally seamless.

Do you know anyone in thailand that could buy & mail you a sim? Then it would be totally seamless.

She does know people in Thailand, but I don't think they'd be able to send anything in time. I may just have to get something here for her something to use initially (even if it's a little expensive) and then have her acquaintances swap the cards for her at the earliest opportunity.

This shouldn't be a problem, but my mother struggles to use anything electronic. Explaining how to swap the SIM cards was an exercise in frustration; I think it just confused her more.

Back