Internal DVD Drive AND Daemon Tools stopped working.

criccio

Fully Equipped
I just noticed this all at once today. The PC in question is my main rig, in my sig. I went to mount an ISO today, as I always do, by running Daemon Tools Lite (newest version), and assiging the ISO to my one virtual drive. Well the Autorun didnt pop up as it usually does, so I went into "Computer", and was surprised to not see anything at all apart from my hard drives. The DT Virtual drive is always there, along with my internal Samsung DVD writer. They are ususally drives D: and E:.

Now I went into Device Manager, and my DVD drive is listed there, but with a small exclamation point nest to it. In the Properties for it, it says the drive could not be loaded because it is missing or corrupt. So I uninstalled it, then rebooted. Once rebooted, Windows saw the drive, and tried to install the drive, but failed.

Something is affecting my optical drives, physical AND virtual. The only things I can remember installing recently that might conflict is VMWare Workstation 6, and MediaMonkey. Both of which I installed from installers I downloaded, so i dont know if the DVD writer was working before, but i suspect it was, as I installed The Orange Box about a week ago with it.

Anyone have any opinions on what could be causing the issue?

Daemon tools was uninstalled, and cables are fine. Still nothing. The driver installer always fails.

I figured I had a problem no one else ever had. I cant tell you how many times I have had a computer problem, posted about it online and nobody had any idea what was wrong.

Clean re-installation time? I hope not, although it wouldnt be the end of the world.

The question remains, what is causing my optical drives drivers to fail to install?

under device manager - uninstall the drive and reboot?

where are yu trying to install the drivers from? or these just windows drivers picking up the drive and then failing?

Now I went into Device Manager, and my DVD drive is listed there, but with a small exclamation point next to it. In the Properties for it, it says the drivers could not be loaded because it is missing or corrupt. So I uninstalled it, then rebooted. Once rebooted, Windows saw the drive, and tried to install the drivers again, but failed.

Windows is seeing the drive, (as it did when I first got this drive), and trying to install the drivers. Im not touching anything. It just says that it failed.

Alright, I was getting annoyed with not having my optical drive working so I did a reinstall. But before I did, i uninstalled every app I had installed, and It didnt fix anything.

Now the only app I haven't reinstalled is VMWare Workstation, and as you read above, is the only app im concerned that might have caused the issue in the first place.

Does anyone have any possible reason that VMWare Workstation might have caused the issue with my optical drive in the first place? Its the only app that I have that somehow interfaces with the drive.

Back