Internal Documents Show Apple Knew the iPhone 6 Would Bend

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, May 26, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

A court filing obtained by Motherboard suggests that Apple released the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus despite knowing that they were susceptible to bending even under normal use. The company insisted that there were no defects after complaints began, but internal reviews showed that engineering changes were necessary.

Soon after the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were released in September 2014, several customers said that their phones bent easily. Those cases went viral, which caused Apple to release a statement that said the phones were structurally sound: Apple “performs rigorous tests throughout the entire development cycle including 3-point bending, pressure point cycling, sit, torsion, and user studies.

2. Simmonz

Simmonz 2[H]4U

Most companies are out to screw their customers, Apple just got caught is all. Nail their balls to the wall but don't think others don't do the same.

3. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

They performed them, they never said they passed them. PR-spin.

4. msshammy

msshammy n00bie

Worked on thousands of these at the shop. Majority of them were always bent in some way or another. Lol, 90% of those the person took it out of their back pocket when handing it to me.. Would cause so many problems. Bends would cause batteries to swell, Screens to pop up, crack, etc. Made us a lot of money, but it was obvious there was a design flaw.

Wyodiver likes this.
  5. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

I am certified as an ACiT. We actually check for bending and we dont service if the phone's bent.

6. alamox

alamox Limp Gawd

iphone 6 bent x7.2 time easier than the iphone5, yet to apple that is not a flaw, maybe they were aiming for a fodable phone pretty early on.
    curious to see how the sheeples who defended apple then reacts now.

geok1ng and Crosshairs like this.
  7. Crosshairs

Crosshairs Administrator Staff Member

My Samsung doesn't bend....:)

geok1ng, Splorch, potency and 5 others like this.
  8. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

I noticed 9to5mac not talking about this yesterday. Will see if Macrumors is the same story.

geok1ng likes this.
  9. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

My LG V20 doesnt either

geok1ng, N4CR and Crosshairs like this.
  10. alamox

alamox Limp Gawd

Samsung is for the Hardcores who are not scared of dying in a blazing fire.

11. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

Please. I actually experienced an iPhone battery fire firsthand while working on iPhones. Btw, my location checked in 2x swollen phones yesterday, 5x in total within the last 2 wks.

geok1ng, sleepeeg3 and msshammy like this.
  12. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy Limp Gawd

well remember most companies try to deflect when there's something wrong with their product

DigitalGriffin likes this.
  13. naib

naib Gawd

why do people put their phones in their back pockets...

14. T_A

T_A Limp Gawd

Most are women so logic is already out the door, but (straight) men who do this? god knows

15. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

It's as if people in general would logically plan out their pocket contents so that they would put their key to back pockets and the phone and that wallet up front.

Sorry, but idiocy is an unavoidable universal malaise.

16. p.i.m.p

p.i.m.p Gawd

you lads should check Louis Rossmann on youtube, he repairs stuff on his channel but mostly listening him talk about apple.

he was right about the butterfly keyboard long before shit hit the fan, listen to this guy

17. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

I find it funny that the more iPhones I service, the more I agree with Rossmann.

18. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Limp Gawd

When you cater to the technologically illiterate, you're much more likely to get burned. People who dont understand technology will not understand how to properly use or handle it. I use an iPhone 6s everyday for work. I dont have problems with it bending but I'm also not sitting my ass on it or trying to test its flexibility.

19. [21CW]killerofall

[21CW]killerofall Aliens...

I don't put anything in the back pockets. Way to uncomfortable for me. Cell phone in my left front pocket and everything else in the right one.

MMitch, uberjon, sleepeeg3 and 2 others like this.
  20. Grimham

Grimham [H]ard|Gawd

I was furnished an iPhone 6 for work, always kept it in my back pocket. It was in perfect condition up until the day they upgraded me to a 7. That was over two years.
    I'd have to think that it has more to do with careless people.

21. sleepeeg3

sleepeeg3 [H]ardness Supreme

So they're easier to steal?

22. Luke Wells

Luke Wells n00bie

Some 'flex' would decrease the probability of the display shattering on impact. This was probably the intention. You'll also notice that apple needed to change their strategies with display adhesives after stiffening the aluminum chassis. That was needed to re-introduce some flex on drop impact. Apple branded the new adhesive as water resistant but it was probably just a corrective action for adjusting the chassis rigidity.