Internal CPU errors on Asus z490-E with i9 10850K even at BIOS default settings - bad board?

With respect, you have not yet run the system at stock settings.

Okay, this is hard for me these days, especially with so many more options in a modern BIOS. Like I said, I haven't overclocked or adjusted similar settings in a BIOS for many years and it's a new thing to me that loading optimized defaults doesn't automatically do that. In the past, loading optimized defaults instantly cured most woes I had. It's different today apparently. So what settings do I have to set exactly? is there a spec sheet or guide for default z490/10850K settings in bios? It can be overwhelming.

Okay, this is hard for me these days, especially with so many more options in a modern BIOS. Like I said, I haven't overclocked or adjusted similar settings in a BIOS for many years and it's a new thing to me that loading optimized defaults doesn't automatically do that. In the past, loading optimized defaults instantly cured most woes I had. It's different today apparently. So what settings do I have to set exactly? is there a spec sheet or guide for default z490/10850K settings in bios? It can be overwhelming.
2933 is the spec for the CPU. I would disable XMP and manually enter the same timings and 1.35 volts for the RAM, just with the speed reduced to 2933. Or you can go all the way down to 2133 as someone else suggested. Either way will work fine for purposes of troubleshooting the processor. Then, if your problems go away, you can play with the voltages a bit if you want to make 4000 work, or you can try a lower speed like 3600 or 3733, possibly with faster timings to compensate.

2933 is the spec for the CPU. I would disable XMP and manually enter the same timings and 1.35 volts for the RAM, just with the speed reduced to 2933. Or you can go all the way down to 2133 as someone else suggested. Either way will work fine for purposes of troubleshooting the processor. Then, if your problems go away, you can play with the voltages a bit if you want to make 4000 work, or you can try a lower speed like 3600 or 3733, possibly with faster timings to compensate.

Yeah, tried your stock settings and it crashes WinRar test and gives hardware errors in HWinfo at LLC lvl 2. But tomorrow's another day. I'll go ahead with my plan to breadboard, install the 280mm cooler and play with the ram sticks in the slots then I can decide what I want t do if I still get errors at stock settings.

Yeah, tried your stock settings and it crashes WinRar test and gives hardware errors in HWinfo at LLC lvl 2. But tomorrow's another day. I'll go ahead with my plan to breadboard, install the 280mm cooler and play with the ram sticks in the slots then I can decide what I want t do if I still get errors at stock settings.
It sounds like you have an RMA in your future. I guess tomorrow you'll know what part.

It sounds like you have an RMA in your future. I guess tomorrow you'll know what part.

Right. If the ram checks out after I try each stick in a different slot, alone and together, it's likely a bad board (haven't ruled out the cpu but it did run Prime95 for an hour yesterday with no errors), maybe a faulty VRM (can't forget that burning smell Day 1... I'll inspect the PCB carefully)? I shouldn't need to overclock everything to LLC lvl 4 just to run stock and memory at 2200MHz.

Right. If the ram checks out after I try each stick in a different slot, alone and together, it's likely a bad board (haven't ruled out the cpu but it did run Prime95 for an hour yesterday with no errors), maybe a faulty VRM (can't forget that burning smell Day 1... I'll inspect the PCB carefully)? I shouldn't need to overclock everything to LLC lvl 4 just to run stock and memory at 2200MHz.
What's the update here, have you discovered the source of the burnt smell?

What's the update here, have you discovered the source of the burnt smell?

When I first smelled that burnt smell I had just taken it out of the box and had it breadboarded on my table so I could make a quick & dirty test to make certain it booted before putting it inside my case so the fact that it was a brand new motherboard and had just been powered on for the first time outside the case might have made a normal new motherboard smell enhanced (at least I hope this was the case). I inspected the PCB carefully and no obvious scorch marks anywhere and the cpu & the socket looked fine. But every stress & stability test - from Prime 95 to Handbrake - I run with the new board at 4000MHz XMP profile and LLC lvl 2 now passes with flying colors and the only weird issue comes up while unraring certain archives. I've decided not to RMA it (today is the last day I could have returned it to newegg), but I'm registering it with asus so I at least have recourse if there was a serious problem after all.

But thanks for asking, and thank you to you and everyone else in this topic (yes, even Nasel who offered not entirely useless advice about AI Suite 3 though his disposition sucks rocks lol) who offered valuable information in this thread so at the very least I learned a few things about the newest generations of motherboards & cpus. I'm still learning.

Last edited:
When I first smelled that burnt smell I had just taken it out of the box and had it breadboarded on my table so I could make a quick & dirty test to make certain it booted before putting it inside my case so the fact that it was a brand new motherboard and had just been powered on for the first time outside the case might have made a normal new motherboard smell enhanced (at least I hope this was the case). I inspected the PCB carefully and no obvious scorch marks anywhere and the cpu & the socket looked fine. But every stress & stability test - from Prime 95 to Handbrake - I run with the new board at 4000MHz XMP profile and LLC lvl 2 now passes with flying colors and the only weird issue comes up while unraring certain archives. I've decided not to RMA it (today is the last day I could have returned it to newegg), but I'm registering it with asus so I at least have recourse if there was a serious problem after all.

But thanks for asking, and thank you to you and everyone else in this topic (yes, even Nasel who offered not entirely useless advice about AI Suite 3 though his disposition sucks rocks lol) who offered valuable information in this thread so at the very least I learned a few things about the newest generations of motherboards & cpus. I'm still learning.
Hope all goes well, Asus support is one of the worst. If they see any damage they likely will try to blame it on you and refuse the RMA.

XMP settings are not "stock settings", they typically far exceed CPU memory controller ratings. A lot of products now are sold pre-overclocked, or with features that overclock for you without explaining the why's and howtofors.

You should be running the CPU at bone stock, the memory at the CPU JEDEC speeds, and everything else at their native speeds. If you still have issues you have a component you should return.

An example: one of my older workhorse computers is an old Nehalem LGA 1366 computer. The Xeon CPU has an IMC (CPU - Integrated Memory Controller) rated for DDR3-1333. But I'm running RAM with an XMP profile of DDR3-2000! When it is that far out of spec, you have to tinker with it to get it working - it isn't the RAM/XMPs' fault necessarily either, that's just the memory manufacturer "pre-applying" an overclock that is basically guaranteed to work once you've setup the rest of the system to handle it.

The CPU you have is rated for DDR4-2933, it'll do more if you help it to. Make the system stable before going for performance, overclocking decreases stability so doing anything else is an exercise in insanity... For ddr4-4000 you may need more settings beyond just setting XMP, DDR4-4000 has worked 50/50 for me so far with XMP only on different systems - X299, Z390, etc. Some systems won't set the memory DRAM voltage for you to 1.4V or whatever your kit is rated for at XMP, that right there could be all the problem is. Manually set it to 1.4V like suggested already. Most modern bios' have "optimized XMP" and normal XMP, where they try to give you faster performance by tweaking the timings out of XMP spec, I haven't had much luck with it.

To test if it's the ram going bad if it still acts up at JEDEC, pull all but one and test each stick under the same settings. Could have one bad stick, or the motherboard/CPU could be having problems.

Another reason I elected not to return it other than the fact that it gives me no issues outside of (possibly corrupted) Winrar archives is because the board is OOS at newegg (not their third market sellers, who are as bad as scalpers selling the board for $150-$500 more than the MSRP). Didn't want to wait weeks again to get a new one, especially since the board seems more difficult to get for its retail price these days, though I notice that the asus store now supposedly has it in stock for MSRP. One of my most embarrassing building experiences was when I returned a celeron cpu when I became convinced it was bad because a certain piece of software I used extensively use to bug out with black screens. I learned later that it was either a memory leak with Windows 98 or the software itself but not the chip. I didn't want to be that guy that returns a component that turns out to be perfectly working because of buggy software or something was pushed past its normal parameters.

Tried to install EVGA's Flow Control software for my 280mm cooler and my system tried to automatically restart after asking if I wanted to install the third party EVGA driver (I hadn't given it permission yet) along with error messages complaining about the EVGA program. Windows Event viewer system logs didn't show anything really out of the ordinary though. So I rebooted and re-installed the program again. Then ran SFC scan and windows had to fix corrupt files. I consider this abnormal behavior so I'll be running the memory check program someone mentioned above along with hints on how to use it to see if I get errors with ram. I'm remarkably chill about this and it's actually something to keep me occupied. I guess with age comes mellowness... or the exact opposite of that for some people lol

If you care about the files on your storage drive(s), if you have any, you shouldn't be booting into the OS as you could lose them to corruption. If it's a fresh install then nevermind.

I would pull up memtest onto a bootable flash drive and see if that gives you errors, if you do have important files. Errors means it's either the CPU, Memory, or motherboard.

Prime95 also has a memory-focused stress test if you want to try and see if it is the memory, that'd make sure.

I can't remember if you have any settings listed here, but you should take pictures of your BIOS settings for us to see if something is amiss.

If you care about the files on your storage drive(s), if you have any, you shouldn't be booting into the OS as you could lose them to corruption. If it's a fresh install then nevermind.

I would pull up memtest onto a bootable flash drive and see if that gives you errors, if you do have important files. Errors means it's either the CPU, Memory, or motherboard.

Prime95 also has a memory-focused stress test if you want to try and see if it is the memory, that'd make sure.

I can't remember if you have any settings listed here, but you should take pictures of your BIOS settings for us to see if something is amiss.

I never had issues installing windows on the new board from a Ventoy USB stick I created that I have all my boot tools on but I did install a lot of Asus crap like Armoury Crate which I kind of regret, plus I'm using that latest build of Windows which I don't really like so I'm thinking of doing a fresh install of 1909 and install all asus drivers manually instead of letting AC do it. I'll try that Prime95 memory test but it passes the default Prime95 cpu torture test fine. I use to use memtest86 but I've lost faith in it since it failed to find fault with a bad DDR3 stick I had, even after letting it run overnight.

My BIOS settings are the optimized defaults/autos with the exception of the XMP #1 profile which to the best of my knowledge only increases your ram's clock speed to 4000MHz and pushes its voltages to 1.4v (my g.skill ram is rated to run at 4000MHz with XMP, btw). I feel fortunate that my problems don't seem as severe as some others experiencing instability in new builds here on hardforum. Today I ran another Winrar torture test after deleting one certain archive that seemed troublesome. I had five instances running simultaneously with no HWiNFO64 cpu internal errors reported or crashes. One of those five archives was a massive 119 GB RARing of Red Dead Redemption 2's entire installation directory that I made myself. No errors or crashes while making it.

Edited to add: that strange spontaneous restart Windows attempted after trying to install the EVGA software mentioned in an earlier post of mine might have been caused by a Winareo tweak I used called "Kill Not Responding Tasks" that disabled a driver installation service so I removed it from my Winareo setup. Be careful what you monkey around with in using Winareo to help make default Windows 10 less painful.

Last edited:
Back