Internal BluRay drive?

night_2004

2[H]4U
I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information about BD drives, but what I have found is that most/all of the drives you can buy online are OEM drives with limited(no) software for playing BD movies. Any suggestions on software that actually works and/or hardware (Samsung, Sony, etc) that might have bundled hardware?

Last time I was looking for BD equipment (2009?) software was buggy as hell and there were tons of DRM issues that I recall reading through. VLC wasn't an option either but maybe that's changed? Has anyone messed around with open source / free software for BD playback?

I'm not terribly interested in ripping (not enough space if disks are 50GB+) but it's something I'd like to be able to do later if I acquire more drive capacity...

The only point to buying a BD drive is to rip your BD to play back with software that is not TMT or PowerDVD.

If you want to play the discs then buy a standalone player. No hassles and they just work.

The only point to buying a BD drive is to rip your BD to play back with software that is not TMT or PowerDVD.

If you want to play the discs then buy a standalone player. No hassles and they just work.

QFT

Agreed. I have a BD setup in my HTPC that works for everything now but it took some tweaking and had plenty of issues initially. If you want it to do full HD bitstream audio and 3D, you will have a much easier time with a standalone player.

But, if you want to take the chance, any BD-ROM drive will do fine - just get a copy of TMT5 or PowerDVD to accompany it.

Well this is going to go into my main rig. There's no TV in the room so I was planning on watching some movies in the background while getting work done.

Back