Intermittent wireless problems with Linksys B router

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Rurik, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Rurik

Rurik [H]ardness Supreme

Just puchased a Linksys 802.11b router, Model BEFW11S4

I have three computers. Two desktops, one hardwired to the router, the other with a D-link wireless NIC. And a Dell Latitude notebook with a Orinoco NIC.

Just set the network up about 2 weeks ago, started up fine. WEP enabled, SSID changed, SSID broadcast disabled.

Now, for some reason, every 2-3 days the wireless will stop working. I'll be surfing, and lose connections. I've gone and turned SSID broadcast back on, and Windows will see the network, but if I try to connect, it just times out. This happens on both my wireless machines, so it has to be the router.

To fix it, I just get on my 3rd desktop, that has a hard line, and just access the router setup (192.168.1.1). I don't make any changes, I just immediately click "Save Settings" and the wireless instantly starts working again. A few more days go by and it goes down, I go back in, click save settings, and it's back up.

I did update to the newest firmware for the device, too.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

2. mrbobo

mrbobo Gawd

Try disabling the WEP, and re-enabling the ssid broadcast, I realize this isn't a permanent solution but it will help in the troubleshooting process :). What kind of enviroment is this wireless network in, are you trying to broadcast through many walls?

3. Rurik

Rurik [H]ardness Supreme

I'll give that a shot. It's in a tri-level house (ie, half the house is two stories, the other half is in the middle with large ceilings. The router is on the top floor on one half. The two desktops are in the room directly below it, the laptop is everywhere. So, really, the signal only goes about 10', through one floor.

4. mrbobo

mrbobo Gawd

Weird I have the same brand / model router and I seem to get a good signal almost anywhere.

5. Rurik

Rurik [H]ardness Supreme

Oh, when it works, it has a great signal (88%-94%). Even when I can't connect, it has a good signal.

6. MixPix

MixPix Gawd

If you have WEP enabled try unchecking IEEE authentication when your viewing the available networks. Although it should make the connection drop more than every few days.

7. diabx0r

diabx0r [H]Lite

I personally have had 2 of those routers, and they both ended up giving me problems.

WRT54G is my new baby.. and it's going strong.

That, and the WRT54G's options are infinitely nicer.