Intermittent Asus Q-Codes 40 and 00

This is worrying me.

One of three things always happens when boot my computer. Either

1.) The video card doesn't initialize. I see the BIOS splash screen and then the machine boots, but the screen is black or: no BIOS splash, and the monitor is flickering between really dark and mostly dark. A reboot always solves the problem.

2.) Machine boots and runs fine, but displays Q-Code 00 on the mobo: CPU not detected. I have a hard time believing that since the machine runs just fine with code.

3.) Machine boots and runs, showing Q-Code 40. I find online that this means it's awoken from a sleep state, but i don't sleep my machine; I just turn it off.

These shenanigans are giving me a headache. Any takers?

Update: extra weirdness!

In the 00 case, the machine first boots normally, giving the A0 Q-Code, then a few seconds later it changes to 00. All the searches I've found on Q-Code 00 are cries for help along the lines of "Computer won't even POST!", confusing me further.

What are your specs? Had the same problem some time ago on a Asuss X99 Deluxe. Turned out to be the cpu twice. I was running my ram with the intel xmp 3200. Fried two I7 5930K cpus. The good thing is that they where covered under warranty.

I'm running an Intel i7-4790k, and G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz DDR3 on an Asus Maximus VII Hero. Funny you should mention that, too; this only started showing up after I enabled the XMP for this RAM. Maybe I'll take the BIOS back to default and enter my RAM clockspeed manually instead.

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue with asus q-code 00 a z87pro and a 4770 and stock, kingston hyperx xmp 1600 MHz. This happened after a windows update last week. Restarted and left for work, come home and the machine boots into 00.

Thought maybe the psu wasn't providing power to the board, swapped the psu's from another machine and encountered the same result. X58 booted just fine, so it's not the psu.

Did a Bios flash and cleared cmos per asus tech support instructions and now the machine powers off after displaying the qcode 00. About done with Asus at this point.

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue with asus q-code 00 a z87pro and a 4770 and stock, kingston hyperx xmp 1600 MHz. This happened after a windows update last week. Restarted and left for work, come home and the machine boots into 00.

Thought maybe the psu wasn't providing power to the board, swapped the psu's from another machine and encountered the same result. X58 booted just fine, so it's not the psu.

Did a Bios flash and cleared cmos per asus tech support instructions and now the machine powers off after displaying the qcode 00. About done with Asus at this point.
Were you running the ram under XMP. I sometimes puts to much voltage into the cpu. I fried 2 cpus 5930k's running my system at the 3200mhz XMP. I now run my system with the ram clocked at 2166mhz no XMP. Try a new cpu or old one if you are lucky enough to have an extra one.

RMA'd my board to Asus, new board posts just fine, huzzah.

Thanks Asus and Raja for the quick fix.

To answer your question, I was running under XMP, but this was just an XMP profile of 1600 MHz, so something spectacular.

Back