interesting things to do with cell phones?

ice109

Gawd
i have 3 cell phones that are completely useless because they dont have service anymore, is there anything i can do with them thats intersting?

You could donate them. There are charities that collect old cell phones and sell them to raise money. Just run a google search for "cell phone donation", it'll bring up lots of hits.

give them to old people you care about. You can still dial 911 on cells without service.

Originally posted by NleahciM
give them to old people you care about. You can still dial 911 on cells without service.

dial 911 on all three simeltaneously and see if you get three times the response

^^^
joke
-------
don't do that

^^^
well...unless you really need to

^^^
or you enjoy fees from 3 ambulance companies

^^^
or a guilty conscience that someone who really needed it might have died because of you

lumberwoo2.jpg

ya donate them. you can dial 911 on them. but if its still under your name and some1 calls 911 your f**ked because they will send the bill to that number and that number was under your name. you could always make them into baseballs lol. or if ur going to get a new cell you can donate them to your company and get credit on ur phone. but still baseballs man. or turn them on and throw them into water:D jkbut ya baseball man

i walked into a bestbuy a few weeks ago and saw a box that you could drop your phone into. presumably it was going somewhere useful, but don't quote me on that. (okay, i don't really care if you do or not..) no, i would assume that they donate them if they work or if the don't probably scrap 'em for parts. at least that's how i'd do it. or, you could also bring them into a cellphone dealer like sprint or verison or whatever, and ask them if they take old cellphones that still work. heh... or the baseball approach would work too. i have two phones that don't have any service myself, and i did a fairly extensive search a few months ago. couldn't turn up jack. so yeah unless you get really bored, and want to dial whatever it is that you dial to talk to a live person (it depends on the service, etc. just try to place a normal call and play around with diff numbers including * and # and you should figgure it out) so you can try to talk to them for a while.... but yeah, lol, if that's not your thing you can always just donate them. course you can always scrap them yourself and mess around with the components... but that's your call. (pun intended, i suppose :rolleyes: )

Well.. you can take that little vibrate motor, use the speaker/mic for some amusing purpose. Hope it has a standard battery and use that to power something. If you are really creative I guess you can use the lcd for your case (Think thats impossible tho). Then you can have a board of spare parts...

hrm... only real savable things i can think of are the mic and the speaker. mic could be used for alot of interesting little circuits...

depending on what type of LCD display it is, it probably wont be usefull. exspecially if it's a newer full color larger one...

the vibrator motor would be interesting.

Useful parts:
speaker - maybe, they don't sound good
microphone
battery
vibrate motor
keypad leds
lcd - probably not

Unless you know a heck of a lot of electronics, can get your hands on a datasheet, and spend a lot of time, it is basically impossible to use the LCD.

Cellphone batteries are nice, they are usually 7.2volt with fairly high capacity for their size. They work well on small robots or for any relatively low current device. You could keep it just to play the games (if it has any).

You can build a Yampp (google for it) using a Nokia 3310 LCD as the screen.

Back