Interesting - Seagate Rebranding "gaming" drive as "compute" drive

Back in 2016 I bought a Seagate Firecuda 2TB 3.5" SSHD as the game drive for my new rig. I've been very happy with the performance and just now got around to buying a second one, as I'm getting to the edge of the space on my first.

I used my Amazon purchase history to try and track down the exact same drive (might Raid0 them later, idk) and purchased a second drive.

Just got the drive, and thought I'd been had - the label is different. The graphic is different, and where it says "GAMING" on my original drive, it says "COMPUTE" on the new one. Looking a little closer though, the model numbers are identical. I'll be curious to see if my computer recognizes them as the same hardware once I plug the second one in.

This is a mild curiosity thread more than anything else. =)

Likely related to the relabeling efforts by most HDD manufacturers lately. For example, WD had the standard drives and the Black label drives. Now you have NAS, computer, performance, DVR, enterprise.... ( https://francisuniverse.wordpress.com/2018/06/20/wd-hd-colors-explained/ ). Other vendors are doing the same. And lets be honest, that was 3+ years ago. It's not uncommon for anything to be rebranded/relabeled. I've been using the Logitech Performance MX mouse, which is unchanged from when it was released, and it's no longer packaged the same.

Likely related to the relabeling efforts by most HDD manufacturers lately. For example, WD had the standard drives and the Black label drives. Now you have NAS, computer, performance, DVR, enterprise.... ( https://francisuniverse.wordpress.com/2018/06/20/wd-hd-colors-explained/ ). Other vendors are doing the same. And lets be honest, that was 3+ years ago. It's not uncommon for anything to be rebranded/relabeled. I've been using the Logitech Performance MX mouse, which is unchanged from when it was released, and it's no longer packaged the same.
Yeah, I'm not surprised about the different label or anything, more so that they used to market the drive for "gaming" and now market it for "compute".

There are now faster devices available. Current spinning drives are ALL just storage. For an OS, or from a performance standpoint, it would be SSD or M.2 drives. But if it works for you and you are happy with it, stick with it.

likely is the same spinning rust they always were, was just a "modernize" of naming in their product stack..make something appear new without actually being new ^.^

that being said, there are different drives for different usage types such as NAS or security systems etc, as HDD (storage) has a small controller per drive, maybe with "modern" drives they are able to tap into the "work performance" setting so that the "system" can speed things up more so than normal (a fast/side lane)

I doubt it, but, when they throw compute into the naming, if they actually use as such, it can have big performance/stability difference (like changing from power save to make+ power use mode)

it would not be "impossible" for at least one HDD maker to "wise up" stop this red-green-purple drive bulshit, just let the system tell the drive how it will be used "everytime, on the fly"

Back