Interesting PS4 Cooling Article....ignore if old

Whach

[H]ard|Gawd
Just read this after thinking about putting my PS4 vertically. Seems as if it was designed to run horizontally, but the IR images i've seen suggest vertically is better (maybe due to a greater exposed surface area?). I suppose I could lay it flat on a vented surface. What do you do with yours?

It's interesting they suggest having it vertical. I have mine vertical with the stand but I guess it makes sense if you consider the heat bouncing off the vertical table it's sitting on. (More area around the system is open to air)

The cooling aspect of the system is certainly far different than the Xbox One or General PC builds. It's the same principles just heavily customized around the sum of all of it's parts.

My PS4 is in a room that stays between 68-74 degrees and never gets loud and never really seems to get hot. I've felt crossfired 7970 Ghzs full bore running that GPU burn in app or Uniengine demos and it is not even remotely that loud or hot.

I got incredibly lucky with my PS4, some of them are loud and do get hot though.

I was also lucky that my PS4 had no issues as well. Hopefully it'll stay that way. I've put mine on a flat surface that has some ventilation slits underneath the console.

I would put it vertically, but i'm still nervous from the PS2-disc scratching era - I know I know, its all fine now. now if i could just get some dust filtering on the vents going....

If you look at the thermal images in this link it shows that the system is actually running cooler while horizontal. The slides of the cooling design would actually suggest that horizontal is better, and these pictures are a strong argument for that case. It shows that horizontally the heat is being spread out over more area, not being concentrated over the APU. Meaning less corrosion from heat on the internals over time.

The difference in temps is really not enough to argue to the layman that one way is better than the other. But the thermal design suggests that horizontal is optimal. I think they just kept the vertical option for people accustomed to it and for people who need to place it vertically for their own storage situation.

If you look at the thermal images in this link it shows that the system is actually running cooler while horizontal. The slides of the cooling design would actually suggest that horizontal is better, and these pictures are a strong argument for that case. It shows that horizontally the heat is being spread out over more area, not being concentrated over the APU. Meaning less corrosion from heat on the internals over time.

The difference in temps is really not enough to argue to the layman that one way is better than the other. But the thermal design suggests that horizontal is optimal. I think they just kept the vertical option for people accustomed to it and for people who need to place it vertically for their own storage situation.

?? Those images are from the same source. And from that article, vertically is still cooler than horizontally, unless I'm reading the comparative images incorrectly.

i have to give vertical stand a shot.. stopping by gamestop after work today

I just bought one of these and placed the ps4 on top of the slits with the ps3 underneath. Pretty happy with it so far.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
?? Those images are from the same source. And from that article, vertically is still cooler than horizontally, unless I'm reading the comparative images incorrectly.
The hot spot on the top side of the console while standing vertically is 116 degrees, while the one sitting horizontally is 114 degrees. The exhaust temperature while standing vertically was 146 degrees, while it is 138-140 while sitting horizontally. The vertical image shows the heat concentrated around the APU on the right side of the console, while the horizontal images shows the heat dispersed across the entire surface area of the case.

As I said, I don't think that the difference in temperatures will really matter when it comes down to placing your console in your entertainment center or desk.

I have mine in my HVAC room in my basement on the wall behind my TV.
It sits horizontal on a wire frame shelf thats suspended for max airflow.
I also have 2 thermaltake mobilefan 120mm USB fans. one blowing on the front of the machine, the other on the underside of the shelf at the rear blowing up to help exhaust the heat as soon as it exits the ps4. fans are USB so they shut of and on with the system.

The hot spot on the top side of the console while standing vertically is 116 degrees, while the one sitting horizontally is 114 degrees. The exhaust temperature while standing vertically was 146 degrees, while it is 138-140 while sitting horizontally. The vertical image shows the heat concentrated around the APU on the right side of the console, while the horizontal images shows the heat dispersed across the entire surface area of the case.

As I said, I don't think that the difference in temperatures will really matter when it comes down to placing your console in your entertainment center or desk.

ahhh. Gotcha ;)

To be fair it looks like the angle for the exhaust measurement was quite different. The vertical image looking directly into the vents.

My PS4 is sitting horizontally inside an entertainment center's closed door. I use a Thermaltake Mobile Fan 12 120MM to draw air out the back. It appears to run cool enough that I don't need to use any other methods of cooling.

I also have 2 thermaltake mobilefan 120mm USB fans. one blowing on the front of the machine, the other on the underside of the shelf at the rear blowing up to help exhaust the heat as soon as it exits the ps4. fans are USB so they shut of and on with the system.

I thought from all the discussion that the USBs are powered even when the system is shut off...so you can charge the controllers without operating. is this still the case? I know the charging controllers it uses more wires than say a phone charger...could this be how it tells the USB's to send power?

I know if I put my system in the standby mode, my controllers still charge. I think they still charge in the shutdown mode as well but haven't really paid attention as I hardly shut down that way.

Charging

When you connect the PS4™ system and the controller with a USB cable, the controller's battery is charged. The PS4™ system must be turned on or in standby mode. You can check the charge level of the battery on the screen that is displayed when you press and hold the PS button for at least 1 second.
While in standby mode, the light bar slowly blinks in orange. When charging is complete, the light bar turns off.

It takes approximately 2 hours to charge the controller when the battery has no remaining charge.
Charge the controller in an environment where the ambient temperature is between 10 °C and 30 °C (50 °F and 86 °F). You might not be able to efficiently charge the controller in other environments.
Even when not using the controller for a prolonged period of time, completely charge it once a year to keep it functioning.
Battery life varies depending on how you use the controller and the environment in which the controller is used and stored.
To charge while in standby mode, you must set a checkmark in (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode] > [Supply Power from USB Ports].

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/basic/usecontroller.html

Back