Interesting PALiT HD 4850 length, midget

wolf2009

[H]ard|Gawd
Look at this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261027

See these pics and see how short it is compared to reference card , ( see the distance from the end of the PCI-E connector) , even when the Palit card is zoomed in more . It has to be a good 2 inches shorter than reference HD4850 .

Capture126.jpg

Capture127.jpg

Now Why do companies make such large cards, when everything can be done in a short size ?

To be fair, the heatsink doesn't extend as much, at least not over the...PWM's I think they're called? And there seems to be a smaller amount of capacitors as well. I don't know how this redesign can affect performance, but I'm sure its there. Hopefully only for the positive, but with there seeming to be less capacitors, I'm not so certain. Will wait to see what the experts can chime in on as far as that.

wow i hope this comes out to australia so i dont have to upgrade my case. New cards these days are way too long

Now Why do companies make such large cards, when everything can be done in a short size ?

The heat created from the chip and the RAM doesn't have as much space to spread the heat out, therefore causing more heat in a smaller space... which means you have to have an after market cooler, which may not as cost effective.

I dunno.

Back