Interesting find - Intel Burn Test Stable (100 passes), Prime stable, OCCT FAILS

supastar1568

Limp Gawd
All,

Recently have been working to get my e8400 3.80 Ghz stable, truly stable. With my settings I have passed 100, yes 100 passes of Linpack, 24 hours of Prime95 small FFT, 12 hours blend, and 7 hours of memtest. All games play fine. I decided to experiement with the last stability utility on my computer, OCCT. I did an 8 hour "mix" test and got a Code 4, calculation error after an hour and 20 minutes. I find this to be very interesting. Any hints to what it may be?

I am thinking I need to up my northbridge. My CPU seems stable with the 24 hours small FFT and the punishing linpack. Memtest justs tests the memory itself. The "mix" in OCCT may require an uppage in northbridge voltage. What do you all think?

Why not bump it up a notch and give it a try? If its that stable in anything else, and you dont have issue...id probably just let it go.

seems to me your processor got damaged thru all those testing you have done...whats your vcore? loading your proc with linpack and prime95 is torture...you gain little from it..

As we all say, one test stable does not translate to another netting the same results. My 20 pass IBT, 8 hr OCCT and 8 hr Orthos stable system crashed games, browsers and whatnot. Bit more tweaking and it's been good.

@hondacity, very doubtful it's been damaged.

yeah, no damage, processor has never been above 1.35 volts in BIOS.

After a couple of days of testing, I figured my issue out. I downclocked my memory and took it completely out as a factor. I got it to the point where the CPU is stable at my set voltage. It now passes all of my tests consistantly.

Previously, I had my memory at stock settings except I manually input a TRD value of 7. This was giving me issues on the northbridge and FSB. IntelBurnTest would not pick this up, when OCCT did.

Looks like you're all set then. Go play some games, browse some prono and see how things go - the ultimate stability test imo :D

As we all say, one test stable does not translate to another netting the same results. My 20 pass IBT, 8 hr OCCT and 8 hr Orthos stable system crashed games, browsers and whatnot. Bit more tweaking and it's been good.

@hondacity, very doubtful it's been damaged.

Exactly the reason why I stopped excessive stress testing some time ago. I now run Orthos, Prime95, or OCCT for half an hour to see if it is stable. Then I play several different games for prolonged periods with other applications running in the background to see if it is truly stable.

Unstable setup ultimately lead to applications/programs crashing, BSOD, or system restart even if it passes various stress programs for hours on end.

Back