Interesting comparison between 360 and PS3 (numbers).

VoodooChi|d

[H]ard|Gawd
I did some googling to find the NPD sales numbers for each console, month by month, so I could compare the sales of the PS3 vs. the sales of the 360 from each consoles launch till February of the next year (because Feb is the most recent numbers we have for PS3).

Xbox 360
Nov 05: 330,000
Dec 05: 280,000
Jan 06: 250,000
Feb 06: 160,000

Total: 1,020,000

Playstation 3
Nov 06: 200,000
Dec 06 490,000
Jan 07: 244,000
Feb 07: 127,000

Total: 1, 061,000

So basically each console has/d sold the same number of consoles from its launch till February of the next year.

I think this is pretty good news in terms of the PS3 because of a few things.

1. The PS3 costs more. 100 bucks can make a big difference in peoples purchasing decisions. The fact the PS3 kept pace despite the higher price is definitely promising for its future.

2. The PS3 has a lot more competition. When the 360 launched it was in a one horse race. Although the PS2 continues to out-sell it every month they're not exactly competing against each other. When the PS3 launched it was already being ridiculed by many media outlets and the Wii hype was in full swing. Also the 360 had accumulated a fairly large and decent catalog of games as a 2nd competitor. Once again I think its ability to keep pace despite this challenge is promising.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting and I would share.

IT would make a lot more sense to compare the 360's first few months with those numbers. Those numbers mean absolutely nothing considering the 360 has been out much longer. If anything those numbers are bad for the PS3 ,you'd think a brand new console that's supposedly better should outsell the 360.. which it hasn't.

IT would make a lot more sense to compare the 360's first few months with those numbers. Those numbers mean absolutely nothing considering the 360 has been out much longer. If anything those numbers are bad for the PS3 ,you'd think a brand new console that's supposedly better should outsell the 360.. which it hasn't.

Seconded, that's the logic I see here as well, it doesn't look good at all.

The Xbox 360 was supply-limited through April of 2006. The Playstation 3 hasn't been supply-limited since late December.

Spin harder.

I do believe that is what he did.

IT would make a lot more sense to compare the 360's first few months with those numbers.

yeah unless i'm missing something, it does look like this is a comparison of the first months of each console. PS3 has been doing decently considering how long it's been out. i'm not sure how great of a comparison this is since the 360 was pretty much impossible to find during that time-period due to manufacturing issues. I know that Sony has been able to keep up with manufacturing the PS3 fairly decently.

Supply issues are a confounding variable that you can't overlook, so this comparison is fundamentally flawed. But it's interesting nonetheless. Personally, I think it is great to see that the 360 finally has some competition. That's only going to make things better!

yeah unless i'm missing something, it does look like this is a comparison of the first months of each console. PS3 has been doing decently considering how long it's been out. i'm not sure how great of a comparison this is since the 360 was pretty much impossible to find during that time-period due to manufacturing issues. I know that Sony has been able to keep up with manufacturing the PS3 fairly decently.

Supply issues are a confounding variable that you can't overlook, so this comparison is fundamentally flawed. But it's interesting nonetheless. Personally, I think it is great to see that the 360 finally has some competition. That's only going to make things better!

These are only US numbers. I believe that the PS3 has actually sold more worldwide at this point than the 360 did a year ago. The 360 had shortage issues, but that's Microsoft's own fault. The PS3 would probably have a lot more units sold worldwide had it been available in Europe since November, but again, that's Sony's own fault.

Anyway, this doesn't really say too much for obvious reasons, so it would be better to wait until November, December, or January to do a more solid comparison.

These are only US numbers. I believe that the PS3 has actually sold more worldwide at this point than the 360 did a year ago. The 360 had shortage issues, but that's Microsoft's own fault. The PS3 would probably have a lot more units sold worldwide had it been available in Europe since November, but again, that's Sony's own fault.

Anyway, this doesn't really say too much for obvious reasons, so it would be better to wait until November, December, or January to do a more solid comparison.

The xbox360 sold more consoles worldwide by this time last year than the PS3, but the xbox360 was selling in europe and the PS3 is not. No matter how you want to spin the numbers though, the fact reminds the xbox360 has a ~9 million console lead and the PS3 hasn't gain any ground (It actually lost ground so far because Sony's PS3 is not selling in europe yet).

No matter how you want to spin the numbers though, the fact reminds the xbox360 has a ~9 million console lead and the PS3 hasn't gain any ground (It actually lost ground so far because Sony's PS3 is not selling in europe yet).
i don't think this thread is about total units sold, rather, it's about volume. nobody is disputing that the xbox 360 has more units sold. the point here is that the ps3 is not doing poorly in its first few months on the market. the system is selling. i don't really see this as an issue of "spinning the numbers," it's just a fact.

if you want to talk units sold, the ps3 might take years to catch up to the 360. it might never catch up. but it's good that Sony is selling enough systems to create a viable platform for developers to spend money creating content for. in this regard, Sony is gaining ground regardless of the total sales. really, there's no reason to be so defensive! as i said before, competition stimulates innovation. i'm personally not wild about the ps3 as a gaming platform right now, but i don't perceive its existence as a threat to my ego. maybe someday the PS3 will be mature and affordable enough to be a serious alternative to the xbox 360. that would be the day i buy a PS3 :)

The xbox360 sold more consoles worldwide by this time last year than the PS3, but the xbox360 was selling in europe and the PS3 is not. No matter how you want to spin the numbers though, the fact reminds the xbox360 has a ~9 million console lead and the PS3 hasn't gain any ground (It actually lost ground so far because Sony's PS3 is not selling in europe yet).

No, it did not. By the end of 2005, the 360 had sold about 950K worldwide whereas the PS3 sold 1.25K at the end of 2006. Put that together with the European sales of the 360(45%of N. American sales by Microsoft's own reports and less than 50K in Japan, and about 20K per week in Japan for the PS3), and the PS3 has sold more at this point in time, but only by a very small amount. Had the PS3 been available in Europe the whole time, it would be more noticeable, but like I said, that's Sony's fault.

No one is disputing the fact that the 360 has a lead, but the comparison isn't between total sales to date, even so, there will be a more accurate illustration in November and after the holiday season. There isn't much more that can be said about the current sales.

also interesting about the actual sales of consoles right now (at least for december, january, and february):

US sales alone of 360 > US + Japanese sales of PS3

That's not good for sony.

360 had a world wide launch while ps3 was just usa and japan - that alone screws those numbers all up.

The ps3 does have slow sales numbers unless you look at movie sales and I have said it before here it seems like Sony is more worried about movies then games still at this point.

People can post 400 threads trying to argue this and that but it doesn’t change anything. The wii has sold more then both at launch and the 360 is still in the lead. People spent 600 bucks on a bluray player that can play some games at this point and don’t really have any other justification. OMG this avg game has came out for the ps3 and it ROCKS must go talk about like it’s the best thing ever! The ps3 needs some great games period and I may pick one up after that but right now it’s all wishful thinking. That may change but with only a few games staying Sony exclusives out there it’s your call to wait or jump right in....

LOL Wow! :eek:

Lots of people didn't get it.

These numbers are US. vs. US. for the exact same period of time in each consoles lifetime. There's really no better way to compare them in terms of volume of sales.

There's no spin. There's no alterior motive. I just thought it was interesting, and figured the rest of you would too, that the PS3 is selling better than the gaming media perceives it to.

I realize there were some production issues with the 360 but you could find them to buy in February last year just like you can the PS3 this year.

Yes, the Wii is absolutely dominating both of them in terms of volume. A lot of this is due to the hype surrounding the console and the fact that it had a system-selling app (Zelda) the day it shipped.

These numbers are US. vs. US. for the exact same period of time in each consoles lifetime. There's really no better way to compare them in terms of volume of sales.

There's no spin. There's no alterior motive. I just thought it was interesting, and figured the rest of you would too, that the PS3 is selling better than the gaming media perceives it to.

I realize there were some production issues with the 360 but you could find them to buy in February last year just like you can the PS3 this year.

Yes, the Wii is absolutely dominating both of them in terms of volume. A lot of this is due to the hype surrounding the console and the fact that it had a system-selling app (Zelda) the day it shipped.

Comparing markets in separate years, no matter what the product, isn't a valid economic comparison. I know you're not spinning, but 2005 is not 2006 is not 2007. Comparing how the wii does in january of 07 to how the 360 does in january 06 isn't economically useful to tell us anything, any more than comparing the ps3's sales in 06 to the ps2's sales for the same months but 5 years ago. It might be interesting but it doesn't tell you anything useful economically, because the market isn't the same in those two time periods.

I think that's the root of people's issue with number games like these.

The only sure comparisons are current sales. And yeah, the wii and DS are putting some hurt on the competition.

Comparing markets in separate years, no matter what the product, isn't a valid economic comparison. I know you're not spinning, but 2005 is not 2006 is not 2007.

I agree, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the numbers are interesting. I really think the one year lead the 360 has over the PS3 is what will prove to be its biggest problem during this entire generation.

The numbers are interesting but as Technoob said the market is different. The problem that sony is taking flak for is the numbers they have now won't allow them to eclipse or match that of the 360s. While they may be matching the 360s launch in terms of volume over the same initial period they need to do much better if they want to catch up or eclipse the 360s installed base.

I'm sure the impending European launch will help sales but what the PS3 needs is simply more (preferably unique) software to push sales. (a price drop wouldn't hurt either) :cool:

Oops, ya I missed those dates. (St. Patrick's Day at 4am.. good enough excuse for me ha) Anyway, how many 360's have sold during those exact months you show for the PS3?

Lol i thought everyone on this forum said absolutely no one was gonna buy a ps3!? Now they have to find picky excuses to carry on the bashing!! ;)

Apparently you dont get it. If Microsoft had only launched in Japan and the US they would have sold 500k more units in the US then they did on those charts. However they actually had the balls to launch in all three major territories at once...and they paid for it.

Where did you get those numbers? How about a direct comparison of the PS3 and the 360 from November until now.

The numbers are right, Engadget has the same thing posted and there source was from npd.

I didn't say they were wrong, I was saying I would like to see a direct sales comparison, not one of the 360's numbers from when it released. How has the 360 sold in direct competition with the PS3?

Nevermind, I found them myself

Nov 2006
PS3 197,000
360 511,000

Dec 2006
PS3 - 490,700
360 - 1,100,000

Jan 2007
PS3 - 244,000
360 - 294,000

Feb 2007
PS3 127,321
360 228,225

Interesting that a console that has been out a year, and already sold in the millions is outselling (and not just outselling, but outselling 2:1 in some cases) the one that just came out and is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread...

These types of comparisons are fun and all but the reality of the situation is this:

The PS3 is doing as good / better than the 360 did one year ago.

The 360 has a one year, 9 million console lead on the PS3.

CURRENTLY both the Wii and the 360 outsell the PS3.

So, if this were a race:

The Xbox 360 took off a year ago and has a ten lap lead.

The PS3 is now in the race, going just as fast as the 360 was last year...if not a little faster. Unfortunately, since then, the Xbox 360 has picked up speed and not only has a ten lap lead....they are going faster than the PS3 currently is. How can the PS3 catch up unless you seriously start speeding up (sales)?

A third car entered the race at the same time as the PS3. The Wii was doing 4x as fast as the Xbox 360 and has continued to go 4x as fast...meaning it is well on its way to passing the Xbox 360...if it doesn't run out of gas.

I'm scared and amused by the race comparison.

What if a crazed spectator runs onto the track?!?

So, if this were a race:

The PS3 is now in the race, going just as fast as the 360 was last year...if not a little faster. Unfortunately, since then, the Xbox 360 has picked up speed and not only has a ten lap lead....they are going faster than the PS3 currently is. How can the PS3 catch up unless you seriously start speeding up (sales)?

A third car entered the race at the same time as the PS3. The Wii was doing 4x as fast as the Xbox 360 and has continued to go 4x as fast...meaning it is well on its way to passing the Xbox 360...if it doesn't run out of gas.

With F1 2007 just having begun, this seems just that much more relevant. At least it does a good job of illustrating the situation.

12 months ago, who would have predicted that there's a good chance we'll see an exact inversion of last generation's console race?

Crazy.

Also, doesn't the NPD leave out the single largest seller of video games in the country? (Walmart) ?

Also, doesn't the NPD leave out the single largest seller of video games in the country? (Walmart) ?

Very true, but I didn't know they're the largest seller; NPD leaves out online retailers too if I remember correctly.

They do, but that only affects the pure numbers. When looking at percentages of sales, I really doubt Wal-Mart would skew the numbers at all.

With F1 2007 just having begun, this seems just that much more relevant. At least it does a good job of illustrating the situation.

Yeah, it was the first thing that came to my head when I saw these comparisons being tossed around.

What if a crazed spectator runs onto the track?!?

EXACTLY!!!

I remember the last time some crazed fans tried running out on the track (Gizmondo and N-Gage) ...-=SPLAT=-

These types of comparisons are fun and all but the reality of the situation is this:

The PS3 is doing as good / better than the 360 did one year ago.

The 360 has a one year, 9 million console lead on the PS3.

CURRENTLY both the Wii and the 360 outsell the PS3.

So, if this were a race:

Logical analysis and analogies aren't welcome here sir. Sonyland only permits the rampant, widespread delusion in regards to increasingly questionable exclusives and the spinning of European sales to make them look great.

Nevermind, I found them myself

Nov 2006
PS3 197,000
360 511,000

Dec 2006
PS3 - 490,700
360 - 1,100,000

Jan 2007
PS3 - 244,000
360 - 294,000

Feb 2007
PS3 127,321
360 228,225

Interesting that a console that has been out a year, and already sold in the millions is outselling (and not just outselling, but outselling 2:1 in some cases) the one that just came out and is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread...
You can't use those numbers for a comparison because your comparing 2nd generation software for the 360 aka Gears, RB6:V etc to first generation software on the PS3 and we all know great software = sales. And the PS3 just doesn't have that at the moment but neither did the 360 for the first 6 months after it's launch.

I like the racing analogy but to make a better point I will break this down a little more. Going by NPD numbers, At this point the 360 has an ~7 million console lead. If the PS3 continues its pace like the 360 a year ago (obviously increasing as better games came out) and besting it by a bit it should stay ~7 million consoles behind. This is NOTHING. The PS2 has sold over 100 million so if the difference a difference of 7 million consoles when one has had a whole year and the other a few months could be easily made up. One killer game can skew these sales numbers a lot. If the production price comes down FAST as many are predicting and like some analysts have predicted, Sony drops the price of the PS3 that will shake up the sales a lot as well.

There is no way the Wii will keep up its frantic pace so the running out of gas comparison sounds right.

Sony themselves have said that a price cut before a year is extremely unlikely, and of the 3 next gen systems, analysts estimate the ps3 is the least cost effective. Retailers won't even sell the 500 version anymore, and the 600 isn't coming down in price anytime soon.

The price of Blu-Ray and cell will go down remarkably fast because they were both brand new technologies when the PS3 launched. With increased production and other uses Sony is able to cut costs and subsidize other ones.

Back