Interesting cheap JBODs available

Well what do you know, sent them an email using my work address (a fairly well known tech company) and I got a reply within a few hours. Problem is they asked for the serial number and as I feared it was to check if I had a support contract. Basically they won't even send me a user manual without forking over the cash for the support. :(

Well what do you know, sent them an email using my work address (a fairly well known tech company) and I got a reply within a few hours. Problem is they asked for the serial number and as I feared it was to check if I had a support contract. Basically they won't even send me a user manual without forking over the cash for the support. :(

I'd try calling them. Things like user manuals and firmware updates should always be made available online.. It's not like you're actually asking them for any real help.. just the resources to do it yourself.

Got some benchmarks though, I'm thinking these are unusually low for an eight disk RAID5. The stripe is set to 256k but that's pretty much around where I need it to be. I have write-back and read cache enabled.

Those are some pretty poor results. I'd blame the Adaptec here. It's a rather old card now. You have any other cards to test with? Also that 100MB/sec burst rate looks suspicious, are you sure you are getting 8 lanes PCIe on your raid card?

On my Areca 1880, I can get 800MB/sec reads to external SAS JBODs. Granted, I'm using Intel SAS expanders rather than this particular JBOD, but the results should be similar.

Guys, I've got some pretty cool news. Like I said last week, they accepted my offer and I was going to pick up mine from their Novi warehouse. Turns out, they decided to send it to me free of charge over the weekend! I have it sitting next to me right now. Now all I need is some SFF-8088 cables and a SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 bracket before I can start working with this thing.

Like the OP said, there's a decent amount of room in here for attempting a power supply replacement with something more efficient. I'm thinking an Antec Earthwatts 380w power supply would do just fine.

Oh and FYI: I offered them $150 for the one I bought...

I'll see about giving them a call. They might've got the wrong idea when I contacted them using a business email address.

I don't have any other cards to test with unfortunately. I did try disabling NCQ but that just resulted in slightly lower results. I am using Seagate 7200.11's and 12's so they're not really the greatest drives out there but I did get much better results when using my PERC 5/i. Not really sure of any way to check what speed the PCIe slot is running at, any applications that would do it or would it be through the storage manager or something?

Ordered 4 of these today...will be able to confirm LSI adapter and HP Expander compatibility.

I've got a Proliant DL380 G5 with a P400 controller. Would an HP SC44GE HBA likely be compatible with this or should I get a different controller?

Just got off the phone with a support rep. He is able to find SE3016 in his database but apparently there isn't any documentation, firmware, spec sheet or anything like that. He said it was because Rackable equipment is made to the specs requested by each buyer so some models are different than others, though I think he's probably thinking more along the lines of their servers.

Wow, that is a really cheap way to add 16 bays to my SAS topology. Tempted...

EDIT: Offered $150 each and got two (one for me and one for a friend). $145 was too low so I'm thinking $150 is about the lowest the seller is setup to accept.

Did the seller counter anyone's offer?

I was declined at $140 and $145, but $150 was accepted.

Last edited:
I offered $150 and got countered with $275. I countered with $150 again several hours ago and haven't gotten a reply. Maybe you have to order more than one to get the $150 price?

EDIT: He went down to $260. lol

Last edited:
I offered $150 and got countered with $275. I countered with $150 again several hours ago and haven't gotten a reply. Maybe you have to order more than one to get the $150 price?

EDIT: He went down to $260. lol
The ones from the second link in the OP (digitalmind2000) will go for $150.

Tried getting the serial connection to work but no dice. Used information from here to make a cable. Tried different data rates, flow control, still nothing.

Guys, I've got some pretty cool news. Like I said last week, they accepted my offer and I was going to pick up mine from their Novi warehouse. Turns out, they decided to send it to me free of charge over the weekend! I have it sitting next to me right now. Now all I need is some SFF-8088 cables and a SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 bracket before I can start working with this thing.

Like the OP said, there's a decent amount of room in here for attempting a power supply replacement with something more efficient. I'm thinking an Antec Earthwatts 380w power supply would do just fine.

Oh and FYI: I offered them $150 for the one I bought...

Let us know! Curious to see if your testing yields similar results to previous posts!

Ordered 4 of these today...will be able to confirm LSI adapter and HP Expander compatibility.

Hey Packetboy.. any ETA on your order ? :)

I'd love to get a few of these for work but really want to know that they work fine with the LSI HBA's before committing..

What's the difference between a JBOD and a MAID?
I had to look it up myself :D taken from wiki
In computing, a massive array of idle disks (more commonly known as a MAID) is a system using hundreds to thousands of hard drives for nearline storage of data. MAID is designed for 'Write Once, Read Occasionally' (WORO) applications. In a MAID each drive is only spun up on demand as needed to access the data stored on that drive. This is not unlike a very large 'Just a Bunch Of Disks' (JBOD) but with power management.
If anyone has a more real world definition I would love to hear it for my personal knowledge.

I also bought one of these for $150 with free ship. I will be getting it at the end of the week. I also got an Areca ARC-1882 to go with this, and I will let the group know how it goes when I get it installed. Currently using an ARC-1120 with 8 Hitachi 2TB drives, and I am getting about 350MB/sec throughput with RAID6.

So tempted to get one anyways - would be perfect as a SAN for the ESXi server I want to build and play around with. ZFS baby.

I had to look it up myself :D taken from wiki
In computing, a massive array of idle disks (more commonly known as a MAID) is a system using hundreds to thousands of hard drives for nearline storage of data. MAID is designed for 'Write Once, Read Occasionally' (WORO) applications. In a MAID each drive is only spun up on demand as needed to access the data stored on that drive. This is not unlike a very large 'Just a Bunch Of Disks' (JBOD) but with power management.
If anyone has a more real world definition I would love to hear it for my personal knowledge.

Pretty good. A few things - when it comes to MAID it doesn't need to be hundreds of thousands of disks - a lot of the RAID cards that the ppl use on this forum support MAID. I guess its supposed to save £$€ in terms of power costs and prolong disk life.

JBOD isnt really to do with power management, its just a heap of disks without any RAID value - all with their own logical volume typically. No redundancy or resilience to failure of one disk. However, it does allow software RAID to be plastered over the top of it if one wishes - see the various threads from the ZFS boys in this forum - which of course does add those features (and a heap more).

I also bought one of these for $150 with free ship. I will be getting it at the end of the week. I also got an Areca ARC-1882 to go with this, and I will let the group know how it goes when I get it installed. Currently using an ARC-1120 with 8 Hitachi 2TB drives, and I am getting about 350MB/sec throughput with RAID6.

Would love to hear how you get on. I'm in a quandry on this one - could buy a bunch but scared that they wont work with my Areca. Might be safe and just buy one of those Supermicro JBOD beasts.

Hey - how did you get free shipping?

I put in a Best Offer for $150 with free ship and he accepted it.

I guess I must be retarded.. because I can't see how you do that.. Do you just include a note saying "+Free Shipping" in your offer? Or is there something else I am missing?

I guess I must be retarded.. because I can't see how you do that.. Do you just include a note saying "+Free Shipping" in your offer? Or is there something else I am missing?
Yes, put it in your note and it becomes your best offer terms.

Yes, put it in your note and it becomes your best offer terms.

Ah right - thanks.. I guess that person is realising the boxes are now popular. I offered 150 and free ship but they said no free shipping (but stayed at 150)..

Damnit, why do sellers ship with signature required and not tell the buyer or list it in the item description! Don't these people realize that employed people aren't home to sign for packages? :mad:

(I purchased 2 of these from digitalmind2000 and Fedex tracking shows they attempted delivery 20 minutes ago)

Turned down my offer of 150 with free shipping. He want 160 to ship to Canada or 35 to ship an hour away from me at the border. Still deciding.

No, I got it from digitalmind2000. However, I did get a 10GbE switch from mrrackables.

I just bought a NIC from mrrackables, came quickly (I think they are a few miles away) and was in great condition.

Damnit, why do sellers ship with signature required and not tell the buyer or list it in the item description! Don't these people realize that employed people aren't home to sign for packages? :mad:

(I purchased 2 of these from digitalmind2000 and Fedex tracking shows they attempted delivery 20 minutes ago)

Mine was delivered today from digitalmind2000 FedEx Ground (only took 1 day!) and they left it at my front door. I can't test it yet, but I'm impressed with the build quality. There is zero dust in mine or any sign of wear besides a couple scratches in the top when it was slide out of the rack.

Wish I had some cash right now. I'd order a couple of em. Waiting for packetboy to get his and see what compatibility is with LSI cards.

Back