interesting cell phone incident

option141

Gawd
first off - i have no idea where this goes, so sorry if this isnt the place.

heres the story.

i have verizon wireless, along with my girlfriend. we text very frequently, and have since before i can remember.

we both have the same phone. i got this "same" phone about 1.5 months ago.

this is what has happened

her and i will be exchanging texts, and a text she recieves will be edited, or something will be tagged onto it.

the first time:
it was about two weeks ago, and i dont have it saved to type it all out. basically i sent a text talkin about what she should wear on a suprise date. she got the text, and the very last portion of my actual text was edited slightly, and more was tagged on. the edited portion had to do with thongs (wtf?), then the tacked on portion was "PS, thanks for that kiss ;)" wierd eh?

second time:
happened just now. i sent her a text talkin about future life (family, career, etc.). this time, nothing was edited, but apparently at the end of the text it said "i never wanted tong but not thongs..."

so heres the deal. what the shit? i've heard of people being able to grab texts outta the air. could this be it? i talked to a tech guy at my work about it the first time it happened, and he said it might be somethin funky in the signals.

any imput? anybody have this happen?

thanks,
seth

EDIT: she was in the same location both times i believe - her home. although i see it unlikely somebody would prowl around in her neighborhood looking for signals, if anybody's thinking that... i dunno. justadditional info

That's really wierd, almost scary. I've never heard of anything like this, although I see how it could be possible...

That's pretty odd. The equipment to run cell phones off of is not cheap, nor easy to come by due to licensing, so I would pretty much rule out a regular person having it. I would start by calling Verizon and telling them what's going on and see what they say. Seems to me like this would have to happen somewhere there, because if you sent a text, her phone would grab it as soon as it was sent from the tower since it's broadcast, I don't see how someone else could "grab" this message (making her phone unable to ever get it), and then edit it and resend it.

I recommend that both of you stop using your phones, Change service providers and phone models, and use someone else's personal information for the signup, like your parents or siblings. Better safe than sorry

Verizon is a CDMA provider iirc. CDMA voice data is theoretically impossible (we all know what that means :rolleyes: ) to decode/manipulate in real-time by a 3rd party, but I'd assume that Text messages go out as well, plain text. Now the weird thing is, the only place where it would be changed would be in the network itself, unless your or your gf's phone was hax0red (very unlikely). You should report this to Verizon ASAP, they probably have another large security hole in their network.

What phones do you have exactly? I'd also check out howardforums.com to see if there has been any info posted there about this.

with some cell companies (eg. nextel/sprint) it takes several minutes when a message is sent for it to get to most other company's phone. The text has to go through their network before going back out to the recieving person. So I dont see why it is not possible for some at cell phone company to beable to intercept these text and are able to manipulate them before they go back out. I would call up Verizon and kick a stink about it!

Back