interested in eInk reader, need opinion from someone who has kindle/sony ereaders

paperwastage

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently a college student(majoring in Computer Science and Economics), been really active in reading books, newspapers everyday(unlike most of my fellow students) and stuff...

i understand that eReaders aren't the best solution for reading college textbooks or HTML APIs, but I think they'll be useful in other ways (organize notes, homework/practice exam solutions for my classes, reading books/magazines...)...

I currently have a AT&T Touch Pro 1 (phone/online function) and a Dell Axim x51 (using for music/video watching)... i like to experiment with new/old technology to accomplish what I want... i have read books on my 3.5" Axim x51 before, but i rather not have the eye strain

I'll be heading down to BestBuy to see their display models, but can anyone who has used an eReader give their opinion on whether the technology is good enough, or wait? (if i want to test how a pdf looks like in a ePub format, what tool should i use to convert and emulate the kindle resolution etc...)

right now, i'm looking at the Kindle 1 refurbished($150) and the Nook ($259). I am heavily leaning towards the nook, and my mouse cursors keeps hovering above the pre-order button.... hmmm.....

Last edited:
If you are unsure if you will like it, go with the Kindle 1 refurbished and then wait for the Kindle DX to drop in price. Its larger and more text can fit onto the screen if wanted or larger text with proper word alignment. The n00k isn't much better and is only better with the fact it can do ePub books and lending, but the choices are slightly slimmer at the moment. Color book covers don't provide anything really useful in my opinion.

The difference between a converted file and the regular isn't much.

I suggest try out the Kindle. You can at least still sell it for the same price you bought it for, unlike the n00k regularly. Buy the n00k and wait for Christmas when it will shoot up in price and then sell it if you don't like it.

I disagree with the Kindle recommendation. Kindle can't natively do either PDF or ePub, and when you convert them to Kindle format, they look awful, especially with textbooks that might have charts. I could only get behind the Kindle if you were only looking to read novels.

Of the two you point out, I think the Nook would work better, but truth be told, all the eReaders have some warts. Definitely try them out--for some people the flashing between pages is a dealbreaker. With that said, the screens are amazing; I hate reading on backlit LCDs due to the eyestrain, but have no problem with the eReaders.

I have a Kindle v2. Not worth the cost currently; a lot of room for improvement still, and the lack of native pdf support is lame. As mentioned above, converted pdfs often look bad. I'm not sure how quickly this will improve, though, as Amazon is mostly interested in selling books and periodicals via Kindle, not necessarily making the Kindle a great all-around ebook.

Give it a couple of years to mature, I think.

Bear in mind that Amazon will soon be releasing a firmware update to enable native PDF support on the Kindle v2.

I saw some E-ink sony readers in Bestbuy. Reading the pages required no extra eye focusing strain similar to normal LCD screens. The texts are sharp, and they got that right. What I didn't like was the sluggishness of the page turning as the words actually are drawn in front of you. I think the refresh rate is pretty low, but its a book and it does what it should. I am waiting for them to get lower than $100.

I have a sony reader. The 505 version.

I keep my study notes on it, along with a few dozen books and newspaper feeds. The page turn is 1-2 seconds out of my life, so no big deal, and it's very easy on the eyes.

I'm about to pick up a kindle 2 this Christmas. The reason that I decided on the kindle instead of a nook or the like is largely because of amazon. I like the way they operate the kindle store (many books I'm interested in are far less in price than the same book on barnes and noble) and because the nook will not be shipping until at very least early January. Something else to keep in mind is that the nook only allows you to share a book once, ever. I also don't care to have my ereader do anything other than read books, so a second screen is moot to me.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was hoping to get an ebook reader for my gf for christmas. I was planning on getting the nook, but it is out of stock for the year. Between the Sony and the Kindle, which would you folks recommend?
I was thinking the Sony Touch might be the best for her because I think the touch screen would be much easier for her to use.

the touch screen creates a glossy glare which the kindle does not have. My eyes cant take glare, so the newer sonys arent good for me. See what your woman likes.

Last edited:
Yeah. I have the older Sony because I wasn't wild about the touch screen. Glare and it doesn't look as crisp to me.

Just so you know im thinking of the Kindle just because it offers a better platform than the sony. The whole market is similar to the iphone vs competitors or ipod vs competitors. Apple provides a great environment for its product to work in and the other's only try to compete. In this situation its Amazon who is providing the best environment and other makers like sony and B&N who are just trying to compete.

Last edited:
I would argue there are issues with the Apple comparison, but that's not important. I would also suggest the kindle. It's a truly beautiful device and the expanding global coverage is a nice touch. Your issue with just looking at gen 1 is that you won't get the pdf support, but I'm not sure why you've taken gen2 off the table given that it's the same price as the nook. It's not really a fair comparison and you seem set to make it that way.

In honesty, a lot of the functionality is going to be shared, so it does somewhat come down to looks and UI. If at the same price you think that the nook falls into your aesthetics, then you should probably go for it. Barring some terrible unforseen error (though warrenty should cover) I imagine you'll be happy you did.

Just received a Kindle 2 yesterday. While it has its shortcomings with respect to native PDFs, it's a great device.

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that the Kindle is currently the only ereader that currently gives you any web browsing capability. Yes, it's primitive, but in advanced mode it does support JavaScript and cookies, so doing things like checking Gmail, weather, Google, etc., is doable, albeit somewhat sluggish.

Great in a pinch though, and a viable substitute for cellphone browsing IMO.

If I can find a refurbed DX, I want to pick one up for better (larger) PDF viewing.

If any of the other ereaders ever incorporate fulltime internet connectivity at no cost (GSM not wi-fi) then they will be worth considering. Until then only the kindle is really viable IMO.

I always have my Kindle's Internet Connection turned off, until I can find out the root password to ssh into it, and disable its snooping ability. The last thing I need is Amazon keeping track of what I read. I also will never pay for a ebook, just wont happen.

I always have my Kindle's Internet Connection turned off, until I can find out the root password to ssh into it, and disable its snooping ability. The last thing I need is Amazon keeping track of what I read.

Excuse me sir, your tinfoil hat is on crooked...

Excuse me sir, your tinfoil hat is on crooked...

Its well known that the kindle sends back logs and other data to amazon on your usage. Data like what titles you are reading, how fast you are reading the books, what type of books, drm info, etc. Id rather Amazon not know this, especially on a intellectual level.

There's a very good reason why the ALA suggests local libraries not keep records on which patrons rent/borrow which books. Nothing to do with a tin foil hat, its common sense.

Back