Interactive cut scenes... a rant. Possible FC3 spoiler...if you really, really care.

spacing guild

[H]ard|Gawd
I hate them. They make no sense. They aren't dramatic... they are for console gamers. They are the bane of today's video games.

Far Cry 3 story... decent so far. I generally like to stalk and slice dudes up... the story is just to open more environment so I can stalk and slice people up.

Then I get to this underwater cut scene. Am I supposed to be thrilled by this? I have to mash this guy underwater... I have no idea what to do. I press all the keys ... it says "mash" then I die.

I quit, thinking I'm at a checkpoint, to find out the key combo to kill the underwater guy. I log back in... I have to do the mission all over again.

Please make another Stalker. These "open world" checkpointed saves games...are retarded.

Far Cry 2 let me do whatever I wanted in whatever order I wanted. If they made Far Cry 3 with Far Cry 2 open world, it would be pure win.

Mash is an old TV show. Either entertain me with a cut scene where I don't have to do anything, or leave me to do my business.

Just let me stalk and kill bandits. That's all I really want to do.

/rant

I remember when interactive cut scenes made arcade games EPIC. Die Hard comes to mind. Great arcade game that would have you running down a hallway and have to press a button fast to dodge a hit or jump over something. I'd always miss them and I'd have to re-put quarters in to get the mashing just right.

Atleast you don't have to put a quarter in each time you do it on a pc-game :p

Yeah they are pretty shitty, i'd just prefer to watch the animation they setup for me rather than watch it 5-10 time because the dickhead devs can never be bothered to sync my custom controls with what they have screen, in nearly every single game i have played lately, i dunno why they even put control menu's in game.

Serious question, whats the chances of suing a developer based on discriminating against the disabled, making me rest my hand in ways that are stressful and aggravating.

I dont think i could i just think WASD sucks, but if we could find someone missing fingers iam sure that would stand up in court and you could sue the fuck out of some dev's for making woeful control menu's.

I remember when interactive cut scenes made arcade games EPIC. Die Hard comes to mind. Great arcade game that would have you running down a hallway and have to press a button fast to dodge a hit or jump over something. I'd always miss them and I'd have to re-put quarters in to get the mashing just right.

Atleast you don't have to put a quarter in each time you do it on a pc-game :p

Maybe that's why I don't have the hatred for QTE and "interactive cut scenes." I mean, I remember playing Dragons Lair as a kid in the arcades and thinking it was awesome.

I like cutscenes that are between chapters or sections and help build story or setup the new area ... I would agree that the FC3 style interactive cutscenes were pretty ridiculous though ... I don't think we should mix game play and cutscenes in a game

I like cutscenes that are between chapters or sections and help build story or setup the new area ... I would agree that the FC3 style interactive cutscenes were pretty ridiculous though ... I don't think we should mix game play and cutscenes in a game

"Touch boob" or "Don't touch boob, you're a gentleman, you don't want to move too fast"

*hits Touch Boob* "You chose to be a gentleman, your kid will be proud"
My kid?

Damnit Citra!

I have to mash this guy underwater... I have no idea what to do. I press all the keys ... it says "mash" then I die.

I quit, thinking I'm at a checkpoint, to find out the key combo to kill the underwater guy. I log back in... I have to do the mission all over again.

I remember this part. I also remember it telling me which key to press to "mash."

Other than that, agreed - keep the QTEs out of my cutscenes.

Good game, I enjoyed the whole thing - of note is the flamethrower mission - great use of licensed music.

I remember this part. I also remember it telling me which key to press to "mash."

Other than that, agreed - keep the QTEs out of my cutscenes.

Good game, I enjoyed the whole thing - of note is the flamethrower mission - great use of licensed music.

Yeah.. I got the first mash key good enough, but it's a combo to kill him. So the first three times, I hit the first mash key, then I mashed the rest of the fucking keyboard as I failed.

Speaking of cut scenes...

I don't know how other's feel, I've played a lot of games over the years, but Vaas has got to be one of the best video game bad guys of all time.

Agreed on the flamethrower mission... I had to use molotovs bc I traded the flamethrower in before the mission. Just seemed too easy.

Back