Intel's P67 and H67 motherboard lineup

So I called this number, 916-377-7000 and I swear it sounded like I called the other side of the world! I could barely hear the woman I was talking to. She also seemed a bit clueless and, when I told her that I wanted to get my board replaced, she tried to disuade me from going through Intel to do it. It was preferable, in her words, to go through my retailer. Well none of the retailers have the DP67BG board in stock yet. She said it would take forever going through Intel because I would be placed in a long queue and they couldn't promise me when they would be able to ship my new board! I was flabbergasted by that. I then asked if they even have the DP67BG in stock and she had no, not until sometime in April. After that I just said that I would call back in a couple of weeks to see what the new status was on the replacement boards and I politely ended the call.

I took a chance after this call to try and see what Intel Live Chat would tell me. I got into a Live Chat with a rep and asked how I could go about getting a replacement board. He simply asked for the part number and serial number and told me that he would authorize an RMA and that I could send the board to the nearest Intel Return Center which is Kentucky. I should be getting my new board within 4 to 5 days after they receive it! All I need to do is send them the bare board and I get to keep all of my accessories, etc. Hopefully Intel won't care that I damaged my board trying to install a watercooler. I damaged some traces and the board is inoperable but why would they even care. Aren't all of these borked boards supposed to be replaced regardless of their condition?? Fingers crossed!!

I fixed the typo in the phone number. Sorry about that!

I didn't get that experience at all; I explained I was doing "the big Intel recall to replace B2 with B3" and that my vendor (Antonline) wouldn't help me and told me to call Intel, and they seemed to have no problem with that and forwarded me to a guy who took the info. Live Chat would probably have been better for me since I don't hear that well, so I would recommend doing that instead since the result is the same. I was assured that they have the motherboards in stock, possibly because I have the (less popular?) DP67DE instead of the DP67BG.

24 hours later, I haven't gotten the email that's supposed to have the instructions yet, though. If I still haven't gotten one by Thursday I'll do the Live Chat to get them to send it.

That's odd, I got my email while I was still in Live Chat. Do you know if Intel, as well as all the other manufacturers, are accepting motherboards even if they are non-functioning?

One other thing that's odd about Intel. They are making me pay shipping! I think that's ridiculous!

One other thing that's odd about Intel. They are making me pay shipping! I think that's ridiculous!

Actually, most companies require you to pay shipping one way (or put it this way, the company pays one way, the customer pays one way). However, a few companies require the customer to pay for shipping both ways.

That's odd, I got my email while I was still in Live Chat. Do you know if Intel, as well as all the other manufacturers, are accepting motherboards even if they are non-functioning?

I just tried Live Chat and it looks like I need to wait until business hours tomorrow. I wish I'd done it that way instead of over the phone; much less stressful getting email addresses and serial numbers communicated by typing than by talking!

As far as non-functioning goes - you're on your own there. Ship & Pray.

Actually, most companies require you to pay shipping one way (or put it this way, the company pays one way, the customer pays one way). However, a few companies require the customer to pay for shipping both ways.

That is strange, given that it is their problem. Asus paid shipping both ways.

Talked to Intel Live Chat today and got the email sent. Here's a partial quote of the instructions which are part of the Standard Warranty Replacement (SWR):

General instructions for returning a product to Intel:
- Please enclose a copy of this email with your return
- Write the order number on the outside the box
- Return ONLY the products approved for return as noted in the product list above.
VERY IMPORTANT: Keep all accessories with you; we do not guarantee return of unauthorized parts. Intel will not be responsible for keeping any parts or accessories that are not included in this order.
- If you are returning a desktop board, then be sure the processor socket (PnP) cap is properly placed on the processor socket. If you do not have the PnP cap, contact Intel Technical Support so the part can be shipped to you. If you send the board without the PnP cap, Intel may reject the package and return the product to you.
- When sending product/s to Intel for warranty claims, we recommend the use of the original packaging, or make sure you package the product to prevent physical damage during shipping (Intel is not responsible for product that has been physically damaged prior to or during shipping.).
- If you do not have the original packaging, please use other safe means to send the parts. For a board product, the replacement(s) will be shipped to you in a brown box.

Upon receipt of your returned product to the Intel depot your replacement product will be released to ship. A shipment confirmation will also be sent to you to confirm the transaction
- The customer is responsible for shipping the defective product back to Intel. Please ensure you use a traceable courier service and make note of the tracking number so your shipment can be tracked if necessary

As part of the existing product warranty terms, the following actions may be taken:
- Intel Desktop Board and Sever products that are returned with Physical Damage ( damage due to product external causes ) via Standard Warranty Replacement will not be accepted, and Intel reserves the right to:
- Return the product to the customer at our expense with a letter of explanation.
- Customers who consistently return products with Physical Damage via the Advanced Warranty Replacement benefit may be subject to suspension of the AWR benefit.

I sent my DP67BG to Intel and they received the board on Monday, April 4th. Hopefully I get my B3 revision board soon!

I got my shipment confirmation email today from Intel. My new B3 revision DP67BG is on it's way!

I received my new B3 revision DP67BG board today. It came in a plain brown box and all that I received was the board and also a new tube of some Dow Corning TC-1996 thermal compound - never even heard of it before. The only change identifying the board as a B3 revision is a sticker with an AA number of G10491-303. That's the new AA number for the B3 revision. Also the socket cover is different than before. The previous one had LOTES on it and the new on says Foxconn. I am going to install it later today and see how she works.

I am still a bit miffed that Intel had me pay for my own shipping to send my affected board to their RMA center. They did pay for 2nd Day Air for my replacement board though.

I sent my DP67DE in and it arrived at Intel on Monday the 11th; tonight they sent me notice with a tracking number that they would be sending me the replacement DP67DEB3, apparently to be sent out tomorrow morning (Friday), 5 business days after they got it. Looks like others in the US should expect a week's turnaround then.

Got my DP67DEB3 in the mail today. In the shipping box was:

The original blue box
The motherboard
The paste wasabipeas mentions above (I assume this is the pre-applied thermal paste that Intel applies to its default CPU coolers)
Two SATA cables
Instructions and paperwork

They did NOT include the backplate (the cutout piece that installs on the case to match up with the external ports).

So, everything my original retail version had, plus the thermal paste, but minus the backplate. The two SATA cables were a pleasant surprise; I kept my original ones because, by their instructions, I assumed I would get nothing back but the motherboard itself. I'm glad I kept the backplate!

The AA part number (on the box and on a sticker on the motherboard) has changed from G10217-204 to G10217-205. The serial number is significantly different.

There are a lot more stickers labeling things on the motherboard than I seem to recall. In particular, the SATA ports are clearly labeled now and I'm sure they weren't before; the blue ports are now labeled "SATA_6G 0" and "SATA_6G 1".

Working on installing it now.

Last edited:
Awww Evil...you got way more than I did :( I didn't even get the original box, they just shipped the board to me in some generic brown box. Does the blue box you received mention anywhere on it that it's the B3 revision? I was hoping to get a retail box with my board in hopes that it mentions somewhere on the box that's it's the new revision. It would be helpful, especially when I try to sell the board in the future. But I guess I shouldn't complain at all since I did damage my board when I was installing a CoolIT Vantage water cooler. I gouged a nasty hole into the board and it was inoperable after I did that. I should just be grateful that Intel sent me a new board 'cuz I was seriously expecting that they would deny me.

I also didn't get any SATA cables like you did. By the way the thermal paste they sent us is the same that comes with the high-end LGA1366 processor - the 980X. I am using that paste now and it's working well for me. It's pretty much the same thing as Shin-Etsu and IC Diamond 7.

I am loving my DP67BG board. I easily got my 2500K to 4.5GHz at only 1.368 volts. I am hoping to be able to get to 4.8 or even 5.0GHz in the next few days when I have more time to tweak my settings.

Last edited:
Does the blue box you received mention anywhere on it that it's the B3 revision? I was hoping to get a retail box with my board in hopes that it mentions somewhere on the box that's it's the new revision.

The sticker on the side of the box with the product info does say BOXDP67DEB3.

Booted up no problem. BIOS version is 0037; the last one mentioned in this thread for DP67DE and DP67BA was 0051, and I see Intel put up 0055 in February.

So I installed the 0055 BIOS. The .exe version of the BIOS update still incorrectly reports that it successfully installed the new BIOS when it actually failed, so you will want to use this method instead:

1. Download the zip version and unzip it.
2. Boot into BIOS, go to Boot -> Boot Display Options and enable "Display F7 to Update BIOS", save and exit.
3. Upon next bootup, hold down F7 to get the BIOS updater.
4. Browse to the folder on your hard drive where you unzipped the BIOS and choose it.

I ran IntelBurnTest with my 2500K CPU and Hyper 212+ cooler; at stock settings, CPU-Z reported Multiplier stable at 34x, idle temps at 32C, load temps at 61C, and performance at 47 GFlops. When someone can explain to me the proper method for overclocking this motherboard, I'll try overclocking, but won't bother until then.

Last edited:
Anyone else having problems with the intel integration assistent?
I just installed a brand new DP67BA board, I'm assuming its B3 since it wasn't available until this week. (Revision 09, and board layout is slightly different than my old board). Downloaded the newest IIA from the downloads page of this board, fire it up, and get an error...

---------------------------
Error
This motherboard is not supported by Intel® Integrator Assistant
OK

I downloaded the latest Intel Integration Assistant 1.1.7.872a and it works fine with my DP67DEB3.

It doesn't really do very much interesting to a consumer, to be honest. Looks like corporate environment stuff (branding, serial numbers, and so forth). The BIOS settings you can change with it are extremely limited, with absolutely none of the overclocking stuff.

When someone can explain to me the proper method for overclocking this motherboard, I'll try overclocking, but won't bother until then.

Evil, I don't think you are going to have any more OC success than you have already had.

I have duplicated your results with the DP67DE, and took it a bit further, looking up and down the MSRs with CrystalCPUID and "biobits". There is no indication in the MSRs as to why the processor is dropping from a ratio of say 45 to in my case to 33 (I have a i5-2500K). I am water cooled and my temps don't go above 50 degC.

If you continue to stress the CPU while in the 33 ratio state, you will sometimes see it drop to a ratio of 16, especially if stressing with OCCT/Linpack instead of Prime95. When this occurs, bits 2 and 3 of the IA32_THERM_STATUS MSR show as set, indicating "PROCHOT# or FORCEPR# has been asserted by another agent."

I don’t think the CPU is doing it, rather it is the (under designed) motherboard VR 3 phase circuitry. I don't know how it implements the 33 ratio, but the 16 is when it cries for help from the CPU via this signal.

Using HW monitor, I note that the drop to 33 occurs whenever the CPU power goes a little above 90 watts, even when the bios power settings are changed (they appear in the RAPL MSRs, but these move the CPU logic limits, not the motherboard VR). This should not be happening this low, as this CPU has a TDP of 95 watts. If you have a minimal stock cooler, the temp and/or current should be approaching their limits at the TDP wattage by design, not 5% under it.

I see Intel has a design change for this board to upgrade it to a 4 phase VR (see http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fqdms.intel.com%2Fdm%2Fd.aspx%2F78581A74-FBE1-411A-ADAF-B0AECE2DDADF%2FPCN110549-01.pdf&ei=jCOzTaH3KMaltwf3hJHqDg&usg=AFQjCNFW1t_BRRB4NKhw4uMY5lN1oLLD1g). They may have realized this board was too weak to reach the TDP.

Ready_Eddie, the way I read that PDF is that the design change is to start shipping the motherboard with the 0055 BIOS update (available on Intel's support site) and that part of that BIOS update includes updating it from a 3 phase VR to a 4 phase VR, which is apparently possible with just the BIOS update. Were you doing your testing with the 0055 BIOS?

Ready_Eddie, the way I read that PDF is that the design change is to start shipping the motherboard with the 0055 BIOS update (available on Intel's support site) and that part of that BIOS update includes updating it from a 3 phase VR to a 4 phase VR, which is apparently possible with just the BIOS update. Were you doing your testing with the 0055 BIOS?

Actually, what that notice means that existing DP67DE and DP67BA boards will still be of a 3-phase VRM design, but the new BIOS will be the first BIOS version that supports new-production DP67DE and DP67BA boards with the 4-phase VRM. The versions of those two boards still on reseller shelves had been built with the 3-phase VRM design (and no software/firmware update will change that).

Actually, what that notice means that existing DP67DE and DP67BA boards will still be of a 3-phase VRM design, but the new BIOS will be the first BIOS version that supports new-production DP67DE and DP67BA boards with the 4-phase VRM. The versions of those two boards still on reseller shelves had been built with the 3-phase VRM design (and no software/firmware update will change that).

well, i don't have time to tear down my build and RMA my B2 DP67DE, until sometime in august(lol)

i guess ill wait to see if intel does have 4VRM design for this board

Agreed.

If you will notice, this is Rev 01 of the document. When I first came across it, it was Rev 00 dated March 23, and there was no mention of the 0055 BIOS, just the design change to be released starting with the G10217-300 production run.

Insanity, you've got one too, when the G10219-300 AA hits the selves:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fqdms.intel.com%2Fdm%2Fd.aspx%2FB4F8FD23-7633-46D6-AB57-B4F37055102F%2FPCN110486-01.pdf&rct=j&q=Product%20Change%20Notification%20DP67BA&ei=R8XOTdXbJ8HdgQep-pWnDA&usg=AFQjCNEvBEDu7YHKq9HlNefU10sFHMDaHQ

My plan is to turn in my B2 board, sell the B3 board on eBay, and get an ASROCK Z68 micro board.

Cheers.

Actually, it appears I have one of those boards. My SATA ports died in april and I RMAed the board in the last week of april, when I received the new one I noticed the different power layout but didn't think about it. I just compared the photos I took of the board I sent in with my new one and the new one has an addtional capacitor/block thingy on it.
If you guys want I'll check how well it overclocks tommarow, I just cant use the SATA 3 ports and overclock at the same time ever since the last bios for the BA board, so wont be doing it anymore tonight.

Ok, it appears that does not help against the throttling issue. After about 5 minutes @ 75watts /4.1ghz my CPU goes back down to 3.3ghz / 50 watts. However I have not seen it drop down even further.

I don't know what the BIOS is like for the other Intel P67 and H67 boards but to stop throttling with my DP67BG you need to increase the TDP and TDC settings in the BIOS.

I bumped them up 25% or so, and it made no difference. WIth my B2 revision I had doubled the limits and it still occured.

Actually I had to change three settings to get throttling to stop. Here's what I had to change:

TDC Current Limit Override: = 200
Burst Mode Power Limit:= 200
Sustained Mode Power Limit: = 180

I've tried raising these limits too. I can say the Burst Mode Power Limit and the Sustained Mode Power Limit are showing up in their appropriate RAPL MSRs, but where the TDC Current Limit Override is going has me puzzled. I suspect somewhere other than the CPU.

Intel released a new bios for the BA board in the last week or so. While it fixed an issue I was having with overclocking and the SATA III ports, the throttling is still present.

It looks like someone has figured out why the throttling happens: you need to use a downdraft cooler to cool the uncovered VRMs. Ironically, the stock Intel cooler happens to cool that area even though your CPU temps may register 10C hotter; third-party coolers might not be giving any airflow to the VRMs, which triggers the throttle.

http://www./forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/42668-overclock-diary-my-intel-dp67de.html

I found this because I got around to updating BIOS and drivers; the latest DE/BA BIOS is 0072 from September 2011, and the chipset drivers just got a full round of updates on January 2, 2012.

Edit: that link is broken because HardOCP doesn't like that site (with good reason). In this case, they appear to have been wrong - see next post.

Last edited:
Final answer: neither the DP67DE nor the DP67BA are allowed to hold an OC for more than a couple of minutes, because Intel reserves permanent overclocking for its Extreme boards, such as the DP67BG. The DP67DE and DP67BA will throttle an OC to x33 after several minutes, and this behavior cannot be altered by the user, so there is no point to getting a K version CPU for these boards.

Someone in a "DP67DE overclocking diary" reported being able to get a permanent OC, and I myself thought I had a permanent OC working in post #52 of this thread. I now believe that neither of us were doing proper testing due to not understanding the source of the throttling.

For very detailed information about this intentionally designed limitation, see this very informative thread on Intel's forums.

Back