Intel's NUC (smaller than ITX) Socket 1155

And why is that?

The Mac Mini uses a 35w TDP CPU with a much higher clock speed, and that is the reason the case is larger - to keep it cool. This makes it the better choice if you do anything CPU-limited.

The Core i5 in the base Mac Mini clocks at 2.5 GHz (3.2 turbo), as-opposed to the fixed 1.8 GHz of the NUC (18w TDP).

Last edited:
Just use a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor if you need one, the apple one is $30, that's the point of thunderbolt, you can use it for all your external connections.

I don't really see a point spending an extra $30, using an adaptor while you can have the Lan port intergrated with much less cost and fuss

TB is designed for external display, high speed storage etc., occupying the TB with Lan adaptor has no point at all!!!

Last edited:
I don't really see a point spending an extra $30, using an adaptor while you can have the Lan port intergrated with much less cost and fuss

TB is designed for external display, high speed storage etc., occupying the TB with Lan adaptor has no point at all!!!

You daisy chain the thunderbolt port, that way you only have one connection running to the back of the PC, everything connects through that one port. The ACD is a perfect example of this, thunderbolt to it and then it does display, audio, ethernet, usb and has another thunderbolt port if you need to add more.

You daisy chain the thunderbolt port, that way you only have one connection running to the back of the PC, everything connects through that one port. The ACD is a perfect example of this, thunderbolt to it and then it does display, audio, ethernet, usb and has another thunderbolt port if you need to add more.

Except that low-cost Thunderbolt daisy chaining is a pipe dream because of the extra cost of the second controller chip.

You can pay an ungodly amount of money to get one included with the ACD, or your can pay an ungodly amount of money to get a version not attached to a display:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5933/...re-belkin-thunderbolt-express-dock-matrox-ds1

God knows why anyone would pay $400 for a dock to overcome the shortcomings of the NUC when it costs more than the computer you're attaching it to. They should have just made the case slightly larger and put the goddamned Ethernet connector on there.

Except that low-cost Thunderbolt daisy chaining is a pipe dream because of the extra cost of the second controller chip.

You can pay an ungodly amount of money to get one included with the ACD, or your can pay an ungodly amount of money to get a version not attached to a displayed:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5933/...re-belkin-thunderbolt-express-dock-matrox-ds1

God knows why anyone would pay $400 for a dock to overcome the shortcomings of the NUC when it costs more than the computer you're attaching it to :D

yeah, pretty much. it seems the only point of the double thunderbolt model is to be able to daisychain a bunch of them together. i dont see what the point of this is, but maybe there is one.

You can pay an ungodly amount of money to get one included with the ACD, or your can pay an ungodly amount of money to get a version not attached to a display:

God knows why anyone would pay $400 for a dock to overcome the shortcomings of the NUC when it costs more than the computer you're attaching it to. They should have just made the case slightly larger and put the goddamned Ethernet connector on there.

Who said it was low cost? If you want the low cost version, buy the one with the ethernet port and plug all the wires in you want, that's why they're offering multiple versions. The one with the thunderbolt port is an alternative to the mac mini.

The DC3217BY and DC3217YE support gigabit LAN as standard (both models), the DC3217 BY *adds* Thunderbolt - you actually don't sacrifice Thunderbolt for either LAN or HDMI.

Common NUC features (both models)

CPU - Intel Core i3-3217 (22nm Ivy Bridge based on i3-3225)
Five USB ports (two internal and three external)
Gigabit LAN (integrated)
Dual HDMI (1.4a)
Two mini-PCIe slots for expandability (mSATA included as standard)
dual 1.5V DDR3 SO-DIMM slots (up to 4 GB per slot/8 GB total)

So who says you have to sacrifice one for the other?

The DC3217BY and DC3217YE support gigabit LAN as standard (both models), the DC3217 BY *adds* Thunderbolt - you actually don't sacrifice Thunderbolt for either LAN or HDMI.

Common NUC features (both models)

CPU - Intel Core i3-3217 (22nm Ivy Bridge based on i3-3225)
Five USB ports (two internal and three external)
Gigabit LAN (integrated)
Dual HDMI (1.4a)
Two mini-PCIe slots for expandability (mSATA included as standard)
dual 1.5V DDR3 SO-DIMM slots (up to 4 GB per slot/8 GB total)

So who says you have to sacrifice one for the other?
I'm sorry, but I must be blind.

power-brick.jpg

Find me the ethernet port

Have actually looked at the models? If you are seeing a second HDMI port and ethernet on the DC3217BY, you might want to have your vision checked. RAM capacity is also 16gb, not 8gb.

Anyone get their IYE in yet? I soldered a USB header to the unpopulated socket, but there's obviously missing components on board, since it does nothing when I try to connect a device. I seriously doubt they would cut traces and tape out, so it's probably a few pairs of SMD resistors (probably even 0 ohm jumper ones...). If anyone has a GKE somehow (eng samples, etc), can you provide a high res shot of the board? :D

I can't find any data sheets that shows a proper USB implementation, so I don't know what's missing. Just from a visual check, I see diff pair routing going to some unpopulated pads. I'm guessing it's a 0 ohm SMD resistor jumper block, but I can't be sure... it would be nice to get a few more USB ports via internal headers :rolleyes:

Got mine last week. It's a fine little box... built it with 10GB of RAM and a 128GB Intel SSD. No wifi. I have Windows Server 2008R2 running on it and I am going to put it in as a Terminal Service box at our small remote office. Just finishing up installing SQL2012 Express on it right now. For big ops it seems a bit CPU bound but the average user won't notice much. During single threaded operations is where I see it the most.

Looking forward to seeing more of these things out there, and some better drivers to address the thermal issues under load when using wifi. PErhaps some official Server support as I had to hack in the drivers from the Win7 x64 package.

Otherwise, it's an awesome little platform that should be incredibly versatile.

Third unit (DCCP847DYE) available now. Its a Celeron 847 based unit.
Link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-kit-dccp847dye.html

Newegg price: $179.99

Neat, but for only a $100 more you can get a Zotac ZBox ID42 with an nVidia GT610 GPU, WiFi, Bluetooth, USB 3, infrared remote, and flash card drive. The only relative drawback is it's a larger unit.

Unfortunately it appears that the Celeron 847 only has a HD2000 GPU. Also, the 847 is barely faster than a top Atom, so if you're trying to watch video that the GPU can't handle for whatever reason you could easily run into stuttering. Not sure I'd want it in a HTPC unit.

ekuest said:
mac mini is way bigger. :D

CHANG3D said:
And why is that?

You all had good theories but the real reason is that the original Mac Minis, which were 6.5" x 6.5", had an internal DVD drive which defined its dimensions - you couldn't make it any smaller and still have the internal DVD drive. One of the first models of the 7" x 7" Unibody Mac Minis still had the internal DVD drive as well as the new internal PSU. The Intel NUC, at 4" x 4", was never designed with an internal DVD drive in mind.

imo, NUC needs a few things going for it to go mainstream such as support an 65W cpu and mPCIe consumer ecosystem specially mobile gfx,sound cards,tv tuners etc.
currently none of these exist, hopefully by the time of haswell release, intel will work on some of these. till then, the smallest desktop grade pc will be itx based :/

@geostation

No. That is besides the point. Most people will be served just fine by a NUC in terms of desktop use. Bear in mind most people don't game on desktops, and furthermore, are moving away from desktops. Those features you state would clearly add bulk, and it's besides the point of its design. Those are things that could come, for the niche that would be those looking to do more intensive things with it.

On another note, HD2000 should be fine for HTPC. At least it works for me.

On another note, HD2000 should be fine for HTPC. At least it works for me.

I've built a few HTPCs based off Celeron 847 boards with HD2000 graphics and they do work very well as HTPCs with one notable exception which is the XBMC internal player (Eden or Frodo -- tried both) under Windows 7. DXVA mode gives you macroblocking and DXVA turned off shoots the CPU up to 90% utilization and the video is very jumpy.

Other than that, videos play smooth as butter in WMP and WMC as well as with OpenELEC. Power consumption was always under 30W even with Prime95 running. I haven't tried it but Windows 8 + Frodo is reported to work fine.

I would assume the Celeron 847 NUC would behave the same as the Celeron 847 mini-ITX motherboards.

The Mac Mini uses a 35w TDP CPU with a much higher clock speed, and that is the reason the case is larger - to keep it cool. This makes it the better choice if you do anything CPU-limited.

The Core i5 in the base Mac Mini clocks at 2.5 GHz (3.2 turbo), as-opposed to the fixed 1.8 GHz of the NUC (18w TDP).

The current Mac Mini also has a built-in power supply (no external power brick).

Just got my IYE for the annual HTPC update :)

oh, and just to remind everyone (because I apparently forgot), this package does not come with the power cord from the wall to the brick for some stupid reason. Luckily a nice guy @ best buy fished one out of the parts bin in the back for me (rather than having to buy a new brick or wait for one to be delivered).

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, my Runcore Pro-V (T501) mSATA SSD did not work with NUC, but my MyDigitalSSD Smart Series worked fine :)

Just got my IYE for the annual HTPC update :)

oh, and just to remind everyone (because I apparently forgot), this package does not come with the power cord from the wall to the brick for some stupid reason. Luckily a nice guy @ best buy fished one out of the parts bin in the back for me (rather than having to buy a new brick or wait for one to be delivered).

I think the reasoning is that the device can be sold in different geos, so stocking specific cables to specific geos is an overhead cost... :confused::confused:

That's what I've heard from some 'internal' musings, but I think it is silly.

I think the reasoning is that the device can be sold in different geos, so stocking specific cables to specific geos is an overhead cost... :confused::confused:

That's what I've heard from some 'internal' musings, but I think it is silly.

yeah, that's the only reasoning I could come up with that made sense ;)

Finally got mine. I doubt anyone here is ever going to use one, but I can confirm that it works with the Intel 313 series. Got myself the 24gb one and it's working nicely (I have a thing for SLC). Less than half used up by a fresh installation of Windows 7.

Back