Intel's new Core i9-10900K already pushed to 7.7GHz across all cores

Impressed?

• Total voters
I assume everyone who voted No routinely overclocks their chips to 7GHz and beyond using liquid helium ??
mixture of AMD diehards and people that forgot the spirit of the forum they're on.

There was a time when posting some bullshit like "what's the point of an extreme overclock" got you a flyswatter to the face around here.

Tune in next week for "delidding is overrated".

Last edited:
Just a mixture of AMD zealots and people that altogether forgot what forum they're on.

There was a time when posting some bullshit like "what's the point of an extreme overclock" got you a flyswatter to the face around here.

Tune in next week for "delidding is overrated".
Is it cool? Sure but still impractical. It is still not even full stable. Overclock like this only last long enough to run a test or two.

Extreme overclocking was a novelty that came and went.
A few people might still be into it, but there's no purpose to it anymore.

It's been done. And redoing it doesn't impress anyone.

Computers are complex enough that architecture matters more than clock speed.

I like PC hardware, and I have messed with overclocking in the past, I still find this kind of silly.

I mean, it's cool, but it's also not useful. Just booting into Windows (XP, no less) and taking a CPU-Z screenshot right before the system crashes. I don't know, nothing was accomplished.

Now if there was some calculation made, a record breaking benchmark, Crysis at 120 fps. I mean a completion of a test. That would be more impressive to me. Still cool, though.

The art of overclocking is to take your PC and carefully test overclocks until you find perfect everyday stability, and then dial it back a notch, just in case.

Just throwing ice at something until you get a big number using obsolete software and then crashing the machine is nothing but a waste.

Maybe scientific research on chip stability can benefit, but I don't think I'd be "impressed," even if the data gathered was useful.

Extreme overclocking was a novelty that came and went.
A few people might still be into it, but there's no purpose to it anymore.
I think it's interesting from the standpoint of seeing limits and capabilities and knowing what's possible. These stunts can also have trickle down effects and give people ideas. That I wouldn't try this at home doesn't change anything.

Strapping a rocket to a car would be a novelty too, and yet there's always going to be the one or two people "well you know that rocket looks impractical". The rest of us enjoy the hell out of seeing what happens.

Last edited:
Yeah, and, I mean, there may not be a purpose to anything at all.

Yet we are still here so I guess we can make the best of it. LOL.

I think it's interesting from the standpoint of seeing limits and capabilities and knowing what's possible. These stunts can also have trickle down effects and give people ideas. That I wouldn't try this at home doesn't change anything.

Strapping a rocket to a car would be a novelty too, and yet there's always going to be the one or two people "well you know that rocket looks impractical". The rest of us enjoy the hell out of seeing what happens.

Usually, it would explode. :D

I appreciate this answer, but comparing the resistance of copper to superconductor is a poor way to get your point across since superconductivity resistance works off of different principles than metals.

Im not really comparing copper to superconductors.

To those in denial that extreme overclocking that isn't even stable enough for tests is a thing of the past just look again at the poll. Yes this is hardforum.com but that is not useful in reality and even us tech fans are getting apathetic to the whole circus act. Like others said, what will be next? A DOS 6.2 version of CPU Z so that you can take the screenshot with even more unstable settings? Make it a BIOS even so that you don't even have to waste time loading any OS, since it isn't about being actually meaningful but about showing big numbers for a second or two on screen and then crash!

To those in denial that extreme overclocking that isn't even stable enough for tests is a thing of the past just look again at the poll. Yes this is hardforum.com but that is not useful in reality and even us tech fans are getting apathetic to the whole circus act. Like others said, what will be next? A DOS 6.2 version of CPU Z so that you can take the screenshot with even more unstable settings? Make it a BIOS even so that you don't even have to waste time loading any OS, since it isn't about being actually meaningful but about showing big numbers for a second or two on screen and then crash!

It's a world record. How many world records are actually useful? I don't understand why people have such a big stick up their ass about this stuff.

Scope this out

He makes me feel not so bad with my 9900K at 5.0GHz and AVX offset of 1... and other than a negative voltage offset of 0.020, pretty much stock so that it idles in the thirties with sub 30W power usage.

It's a world record. How many world records are actually useful? I don't understand why people have such a big stick up their ass about this stuff.

The thread has a poll, we answered the poll and explained but apparently that means that we have a stick? No dude, get bent honestly.

The thread has a poll, we answered the poll and explained but apparently that means that we have a stick? No dude, get bent honestly.

Every single post about extreme overclocking has people bitching about it not being "useful" or asking "why" or whatever nonsense. So, yes, it is totally fair to say people have sticks up their asses about this stuff.

I voted that I was impressed. It is cool that the dude got to 7.7 GHz. That is definitely an accomplishment.

It's also not very useful for me, without actually completing a benchmark or some advanced calculation, that was why I shared what I thought.

That's like requiring a drag car to drive full throttle across the country to authenticate it's 1/4 mile pass.
If you cant pass Prime in smallFFT and custom blend using all your ram after your overclock, then you may be "good enough" for web browsing and gaming, but you better not be working with any files you actually care about because you risk a few bits of corrupt data here and there with a slightly unstable CPU.

Wake me when this happens on air cooling, then I'll be impressed.

Back