Intel's new Core i9-10900K already pushed to 7.7GHz across all cores

Impressed?

• Total voters

erek

[H]F Junkie
Impressed yet?

"Overclocker 'Elmor' has pushed his Core i9-10900K all the way to 7.7GHz, or exactly 7707.62MHz -- on all 10 cores of the Core i9-10900K. Elmor kept his Core i9-10900K processor cool enough for the huge overclock with liquid helium cooling, and throwing 1.194V into the chip.

Elmor used an ASUS ROG Maximus XII APEX motherboard, and a single stick of DDR4-4600 RAM. He also used Windows XP for his legendary overclock of the Core i9-10900K at 7.7GHz, too."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7267...-pushed-to-7-7ghz-across-all-cores/index.html

Do I dare ask what cooling rods he used to keep the TDP from getting China Syndrome??? :eek:
The 8-bit soundtrack was a nice bonus. :D

I find all these extreme overclocks impressive. Definitely not real world and probably not too stable at those speeds. Still, pretty nice to see it!

Still waiting for something like that to be common place, though, and not considered "extreme" overclocking. It should be obtainable by water cooling or high end air. Even 6 GHz would be nice to have. Intel just hasn't brought the hype that they had a decade ago and before. Now, it's just the same ol', same ol' with minor improvements here and there but nothing real exciting. The overclock is impressive. The chip itself in the real world? Meh. At this rate, I'll upgrade again in 2025.

I mean, it's cool, but do you have to actually run a benchmark or SuperPI or something to prove it works?

Reminds me of this:

jbhdyhjozo141.jpg

I don't care about how high you can overclock using impractical cooling.

I agree. This is completely useless to anyone. Those guys most definitely get golden samples us mortals will never see.

Also, I'm getting tired of year after year +100/200mhz overclocks, maybe a couple of cores, etc.
10 years ago was much more exciting. Technology moved forward, exciting stuff happening.
Today we just get some more small improvements. I'm bored to death. Can quantum computing come out already? I want to see world in chaos.

LN2 results don't impress me much. I know, it was helium this time, same difference.

I agree. This is completely useless to anyone. Those guys most definitely get golden samples us mortals will never see.

Also, I'm getting tired of year after year +100/200mhz overclocks, maybe a couple of cores, etc.
10 years ago was much more exciting. Technology moved forward, exciting stuff happening.
Today we just get some more small improvements. I'm bored to death. Can quantum computing come out already? I want to see world in chaos.

Hey, for those who are Intel only, this is a big deal, I mean the availability of the cpu's they have now. Was not long ago that it cost what, about $2000, for a 10 core processor from Intel?

I think these types of overclocks show how good the engineering is on the Intel chips. Yeah, we are on the 5th gen of Skylake. But, it is really good stuff. I would rather have a refined skylake architecture; than have them jump to the next thing and not be ready.

Well, why go so cold? I mean isnt it enough to keep cpu below 100? Or like 80? So that it doesn't throttle...
Yeah it is interesting. I mean semiconductors generally conduct worse at lower temperatures. But metals conduct better at low temps. Capacitance might be affected a little? Probably not. Maybe there are hotspots in the chip that even when the surface is cooled fairly low they are still operating too hot? I doubt it, but maybe.

Yeah it is interesting. I mean semiconductors generally conduct worse at lower temperatures. But metals conduct better at low temps. Capacitance might be affected a little? Probably not. Maybe there are hotspots in the chip that even when the surface is cooled fairly low they are still operating too hot? I doubt it, but maybe.

While this is true, the colder temps help keep the electrons in their proper place. This helps to prevent leakage when pushing higher voltages.

Took liquid helium to do it, so probably consumed 10,000 watts in the process!

What other CPU has required such exotuc cooling for maxing-out it' frequency?

I mean what makes this even more of a novelty is that he used WinXP.

Edit: And by that I mean, could he have gotten a couple hundred more Mhz if he had simply booted into a DOS Shell and claimed a record OC? Would it have booted into Win10 at 7.7Ghz? My understanding is that usually they just go for a suicide CPU-Z screenshot. Is it easier to get into Windows long enough to get one with Windows XP? Are there any "rules" other than the suicide CPU-Z screenshot at any cost?

Last edited:
Well, why go so cold? I mean isnt it enough to keep cpu below 100? Or like 80? So that it doesn't throttle...

clock throttling has nothing to do with it. The conductivity and resistances are greatly improved in the copper within the CPU the colder you can go. Hence why all the quantum processors and superconductors and such are done at something like near 0 degree kelvin temps (often with a cooling system using LHE)
The top sponsored clockers have been using LHE for at least as long as I have been doing overclocking, which was the Athlon64 days.

clock throttling has nothing to do with it. The conductivity and resistances are greatly improved in the copper within the CPU the colder you can go. Hence why all the quantum processors and superconductors and such are done at something like near 0 degree kelvin temps (often with a cooling system using LHE)
The top sponsored clockers have been using LHE for at least as long as I have been doing overclocking, which was the Athlon64 days.
I appreciate this answer, but comparing the resistance of copper to superconductor is a poor way to get your point across since superconductivity resistance works off of different principles than metals.

I assume everyone who voted No routinely overclocks their chips to 7GHz and beyond using liquid helium ??

Then why did you take the time to post in this thread? Do you think your lack of care is so important that it needs to be shared with the world? Or are you just after those "likes"?
He asked if I was impressive. I responded with what I though about it. Stop being a douche.

Last edited:
Back