Intel’s Monstrous ‘Ponte Vecchio’ 7nm GPU Enters Alpha Stage, Spotted*

erek

[H]F Junkie
Opinion? Is this legit or what? Hard to tell anymore what's real and what's not :-\

"This not only shows that Ponte Vecchio is something Intel has been working on for a while now, but also indicates that P.V is a derivative of the Arctic Sound GPU family - which was targetted directly at the Data Center. While you will have to wait for the 17th for the full disclosure according to VCZ, we can assume that this is going to be a bleeding-edge product that is not going to be aimed at gamers. Intel has also previously confirmed that their 7nm Ponte Vecchio GPU remains on track for Q4 2021 launch."

1587679848028.png

https://wccftech.com/intels-monstro...gpu-enters-alpha-stage-spotted-in-eec-filing/

Yeah the Q4 2021 date and this looking more like a concept makes me wonder lol.
And as viivo pointed out, datacenter is the last place you'd be concerned with vanity (form over function). The rounded metal enclosure is just...no.

Not aimed at gamers doesn't mean data-center. It means a shit tonne of RAM and OpenGL/CL and a high 4 digit price tag.

And as viivo pointed out, datacenter is the last place you'd be concerned with vanity (form over function). The rounded metal enclosure is just...no.

The picture is just a reuse of a render someone made like six months ago of the supposed consumer DG2 card.

True datacenter GPUs don't have fans and just use the jet engine airflow of the chassis
My best guess is consumer blowers are still better price/perf. For Nvidia, directly developing and producing higher end blowers basically hurt them in the datacenter market. Moving their entire consumer lineup to axial fans gets them a win-win. Consumers cheer for superior axial coolers and Nvidia no longer has to directly develop, field, and support premium blower GPUs at consumer prices. That cost gets passed to the AIB vendors, who have largely responded by raising the prices of their blowers... and I can say from experience that evga's in-house blowers just suck.

That picture is nothing more that a concept design done for marketing.

Right, it's been a slow news month, so a site like wccftech just digs through their archives. The GPU is likely nowhere near ready for engineering samples yet.

In another six months, then I would believe this to be in customer's hands.

I have no clue what the cooling concept on that render is.

It looks like it's supposed to be a hybrid (air/water) card. missing the radiator and a few other parts.

That actually looks pretty cool. Something different at least.
They are usually passive, there is no fan you could install in a GPU that would give better airflow then you are going to find in the proper rackmount case.

I'm guessing we'll learn about it when they have their partner connect on may 21

Reminds me of when I made a fake xbox 360 render before it was revealed and it was the first result in google image search.

edit: this is what was the first result on google images for months
xbox360.pngxbox3602.png

Last edited:
Back