Intel's Layoff Letter To Employees

since he was talking about public k-12, the analog must be public university professors and not private university professors

if he was actually referring to private university professors then he would have to consider private k-12 institutions, which aren't unionized.
Right, because I didn't specifically say that private schools are good... oh wait, yeah I did. How embarrassing for you. So again, you were going to show us the percentage of university union membership compared to public schools? ;) Nope, I didn't think so.
As for the numbers, it's a strange request of him to ask for a comparison of how many public university professors exist vs. private university instructors.
Who are you even talking to? I said that unionized public school teachers suck compared to non-unionized private schools and universities. You called me a liar, and rather than admit that you're wrong, you pretend like you forgot how to read and try to confuse everyone, lol!

Its the Chewbacca defense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14

That does NOT MAKE SENSE! :D

It's going to be a long hot summer for this topic given recent events.
This is institutional racism, which means its prejudice against a specific demographic that is supported by the majority in power. The only way it would be comparable would be if there was widespread support for such attacks on black churchgoers, rather than just a lone nutter on his own, and that's just not the case so its apples and oranges.

And really, if various Muslim terrorist attacks (even had a glamour shot on Rolling Stones one in Boston) didn't cause a race war against American Muslims, or the random attacks on pedestrians (such as the knock out game) with primarily young black males attacking whites at 25x higher rate than whites attack blacks or random police officers killed by black assailants didn't create a race war against blacks, then a lone unconnected white murderer isn't going to make much of an additional wave in the constant daily ocean beating on the shore, and isn't going to cause any turmoil unless Jesse Jackson and wealthy Liberal race baiters and the like can stoke the flames and convince stupid people to get violent and start looting and rioting again. Of course the irony is likely that 1%ers were feeling the heat for too long in the whole 99% movement, and to redirect some of that aggression they likely influenced media giants to just try and stoke a race war to get "the peasantry" to fight among themselves.

So while the latter might be more difficult to tackle, the former type of institutional racism is easy to fix. You just create a law and then stop such discrimination, and it will end immediately because Intel will be complaint with the law.

... If you can't find a job in tech with 3 months.. You are either lazy, stupid, or just over valuing your skills. Of course I'm sure it's not fun to move either if you live in portland where all their is is Intel...

Those tech job positions they could be filling after these employees will be laid off will eventually be given to H1 visa holders as well, if they already haven't! And those visas usually last for 6 years. After 6 years, these very same H1 visa holders will be rotated.

This goes against current work law, but the enforcement of the current law is not enforced, allowing for such violations.
So, don't blame it on those foreigners taking your jobs in the long run, but blame the blind mice in gov't for tolerating such nonsense.

But, of course, your simplistic view makes those who lose their jobs look like they are responsible for what befalls them.

So while the latter might be more difficult to tackle, the former type of institutional racism is easy to fix. You just create a law and then stop such discrimination, and it will end immediately because Intel will be complaint with the law.

Old habits die hard. Rotten 'heritage' even more so.
What you see today, saw it's beginning in the pre-50's era. Do not think for a second it will go away that easily. Actually, it's a societal cancer. I don't think it could go away in 200 years!

Right, because I didn't specifically say that private schools are good... oh wait, yeah I did. How embarrassing for you. So again, you were going to show us the percentage of university union membership compared to public schools? ;) Nope, I didn't think so.
Comparing university union membership to public k-12 union membership is a spurious argument that you are making.

I do find it interesting that your consistent lack of research skills are an indictment of the private institution you may have gone to.

This is institutional racism, which means its prejudice against a specific demographic that is supported by the majority in power.
That is not the definition of institutional racism. At last look up the terms you want to argue about so often. :rolleyes:

... My household income is substantially higher, I have no mortgage, no car payments, no cell phone, no cable TV, and my rent and utilities are very cheap for my area and I'm highly annoyed I don't save more than I do now and have to watch what I buy so I can make regular deposits in savings and my extra (non-work funded) retirement accounts.

You sir, are not doing your part to prop up the US economy!:mad:
You are UN AMERICAN!!!!:mad:

BURN HIM!!!!:mad:

:D:D:D

It's funny how some people here are lashing out at unions when unions and their influence have been declining in the last 2 decades.

Let's not forget how corporations have fought and lobbied to diminish unions' influence, only to now, have their hands free to outsource US jobs, and now have foreigners move en masse to the US under foreign worker programs to replace US workers.

Yeah, unions are the clear evil in all this story!

Bravo, corporations are laughing their corporate rear ends off.

It's just one, one single guy who consistently lashes out at everything and pumps racist drivel into nearly every thread he can remotely justify his toxic viewpoint. It should be considered trolling at this point given how far he takes the threads off course and latches onto a thread, driving it into the ground, like a junkyard dog.

It's going to be a long hot summer for this topic given recent events.

I'm gonna share some very rarely shared CreepyUncleGoogle wisdom that comes from the countless bajillions of years of personal experience I've amassed by playing Candy Crush Saga. This is super important so you should at least think about it.

You've tried like several times to pull _that_ topic in to this conversation and while I totally understand that its upsetting AND that the subject you're dealing with in this thread (ducman69) is trying as hard as his little Texan self can to stir that pot, I suggest not trying to go there. Yeah, the whole thing sucks and there's a lot of people talking about it, but this particular audience in this particular part of the forum is very poorly equipped to engage in anything but a pouty-scream-slap-fest that won't accomplish anything. So seriously, for the sake of everything out there, keep that specific subject someplace else. It's super inflammatory and super controversial. Talk to real life people about it, get upset there, take action or whatever you need to do, but not here and not around these people. It won't help anything.

You sir, are not doing your part to prop up the US economy!:mad:
You are UN AMERICAN!!!!:mad:

BURN HIM!!!!:mad:

:D:D:D

:eek: Why fire? I promise if I had like two times as much money and didn't have to go into a relationship to get it, I'd spend more. There's a ton of stuff I'd like to buy. My wish lists are huuuugenormously prepared for any extra money I get. :D

Comparing university union membership to public k-12 union membership is a spurious argument that you are making.

I do find it interesting that your consistent lack of research skills are an indictment of the private institution you may have gone to.
I don't care what your opinion is, you said I'm a liar in claiming that university professors aren't heavily unionized like public schools... so we're still waiting for you as always to even attempt to back up your claim with numbers. Except you probably figured out you're completely wrong, so as usual try to confuse the issue or go on a total tangent rather than just be the bigger person and admit you made a mistake and apologize. ;)

For example, you say that a large institution like Intel (as well as schools and the United States government which are again large institutions) treating people differently based on their gender and race is not "institutional racism/sexism"... which is stupid, but whatever, if you would like to enlighten us with your definition then please do so.

Not that there is anything wrong with your usual "Ugh, you're so stupid, you don't even know what I know." ;)

It's just one, one single guy who consistently lashes out at everything and pumps racist drivel into nearly every thread he can remotely justify his toxic viewpoint. It should be considered trolling at this point given how far he takes the threads off course and latches onto a thread, driving it into the ground, like a junkyard dog.

I've had him in my ignore file for a week or two now (he is the only one in my ignore file) and it's been interesting to see how the threads turn into everyone else responding only to him. He doesn't deserve that.

If just a certain handful of people (who I am not criticizing in any way) put him in an ignore file, he would have no audience, threads would die five pages faster, and he would probably think he is winning. That, he deserves.

I've had him in my ignore file for a week or two now (he is the only one in my ignore file) and it's been interesting to see how the threads turn into everyone else responding only to him. He doesn't deserve that.

If just a certain handful of people (who I am not criticizing in any way) put him in an ignore file, he would have no audience, threads would die five pages faster, and he would probably think he is winning. That, he deserves.
Good points.

You've tried like several times to pull _that_ topic in to this conversation and while I totally understand that its upsetting AND that the subject you're dealing with in this thread (ducman69) is trying as hard as his little Texan self can to stir that pot, I suggest not trying to go there. Yeah, the whole thing sucks and there's a lot of people talking about it, but this particular audience in this particular part of the forum is very poorly equipped to engage in anything but a pouty-scream-slap-fest that won't accomplish anything. So seriously, for the sake of everything out there, keep that specific subject someplace else. It's super inflammatory and super controversial. Talk to real life people about it, get upset there, take action or whatever you need to do, but not here and not around these people. It won't help anything.

I've pointed many times that these issues are transcendent in our history. They have been around long before we were all born and will no doubt be around long after we are all dead. You are quite correct, no one has added anything new or helpful to the debate in these threads.

I was simply pointing out that recent events have only make talking about these subjects that much worse and indeed given the information that's come out today, it's now even worse than I thought.

I'm just applying a some of that liberal common sense.

I've pointed many times that these issues are transcendent in our history.
words1.jpg

Intel promising to change its workforce racial makeup or restricting white males from receiving funds they are making available isn't a complex issue. You either support businesses treating people differently based on their race or gender or you don't. The government defines racism as prejudice or discrimination directed against someone based on their race, and certainly you wouldn't argue that Intel wasn't being racist if they vowed to reduce their employment of black employees or made tens of millions of dollars available to white males only. You're either a racist/sexist supporting the interests of "your group" or you're not and believe in equal opportunity where individuals are treated as individuals and not a race or gender. Its really that simple.

tran·scen·dent+ (trăn-sĕn′dənt)
+adj.+
+1. + Surpassing others; preeminent or supreme.

Cmon man, he's proven he doesn't know squat about history, can't understand racism (or see his own) and can rarely even make a coherent sentence. You expect him to know that you used a word correctly instead of adding it to his imagined victories?

Cmon man, he's proven he doesn't know squat about history, can't understand racism (or see his own) and can rarely even make a coherent sentence. You expect him to know that you used a word correctly instead of adding it to his imagined victories?

What I find most interesting in these debates more so than disagreements over current policy are disagreements over history. And by disagreement I mean where in the world did some people come up with the stuff they say? We will be revisiting some of this history with new vigor in the coming weeks and months.

What I find most interesting in these debates more so than disagreements over current policy are disagreements over history.
No the disagreement is over whether history is relevant. You said I've persecuted you for over 200 years, when neither you or I are that old and don't even know who you are and you don't even know who I am or the life I've lived other than that I said I was white. You use "history" as justification for racist policies against white people alive today, that potentially never did anything wrong in their entire lives, but deserve punishment for "historical wrongs" that may not even exist.

And you're obviously not alone, as Eric Holder was repeatedly asked why hate crime charges weren't applied to anyone in a series of young black mobs over the years (even with witnesses hearing chanting of "its beat whitey day") or brutal random kidnapping/rape/murder events, and he said that hate crime legislation is only designed to protect people that were targeted for violence on a "historic basis," including African-Americans, Hispanics, Jews, and gays. And he is absolutely not wrong, that if you go back in time far enough, that blacks, hispanics, jews, and gays were targeted and attacked far disproportionately, but its 2015 now, and that simply isn't the case anymore and the numbers prove it. Of the nearly 770,000 violent interrracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and white, blacks commit 85% and whites commit 15%. In black violent crime cases, 45% of their victims are white and 43% black, whereas in white violent crime only 3% of their victims are black. So you can use whatever reasoning you want to try and legitimize why those numbers are OK to you, but the fact is that disproportional white on black crime simply isn't an issue anymore (and if there is an issue, its reverse).

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...f_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

So, no, we have absolutely no misunderstandings or disagreement about history.

You use history to justify prejudice discrimination against a racial demographic and feel completely morally justified by it. I take the position that this isn't 1915 its 2015, that times have changed, and I'd hoped we had gotten to the point that all people can be treated equally by the government and employers with an equal opportunity, with race and gender never being considered as factors in evaluating individuals. But according to neo-liberals, treating people equally is racism. :rolleyes:

No the disagreement is over whether history is relevant. You said I've persecuted you for over 200 years, when neither you or I are that old and don't even know who you are and you don't even know who I am or the life I've lived other than that I said I was white.

I never said anything even remotely like this. I've said that I was the first generation in my family born on American soil that didn't live under either slavery or Jim Crow.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...f_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

So, no, we have absolutely no misunderstandings or disagreement about history.

So you quote the same kinds of statistics and problems of with blacks that whites that you claim have nothing to do with you have quoted long before we were born. While saying that the American Civil War had has much with to do with slavery as the American Revolution had to do with tea.

And you point at my moral justifications?

The point is, after hundreds of years of slavery, it was abolished. Immediately following that, everything was a level playing field and everyone was presumed and treated equally. And it continues as such to this day.

Until YOU started discriminating against white people. :rolleyes:

The point is, after hundreds of years of slavery, it was abolished. Immediately following that, everything was a level playing field and everyone was presumed and treated equally. And it continues as such to this day.
People are individuals, which, yes you have already explained that you don't understand the concept. Your life is not harder than any other person in America that happens to be white. Its shocking, I know, but some white kid whose mom was a hooker growing up in a trailer park did not have life easier than Marcus Jordan who was born with a golden spoon in his mouth thanks to his father's hundreds of millions of dollars.

Being black doesn't inherently make you poorer with a harder life than everyone else in the country... I'm not saying you have to turn in your race card, but maybe think first. Maybe when you're wondering why the suicide rate for white teens is so much higher than black teens, you might reflect on the possibility that there are kids that might be facing an uphill battle in their lives even though they are, gulp, blessed with whiteness which apparently comes with a government benefit package.

So if you think that people from poor families need a helping hand, then do that, don't say "here's money for everyone who isn't a white male". Its not confusing.

And regarding parents giving their children an advantage, exactly how is it my fault again when some idiot decides that he doesn't like how condoms feel and runs away when his baby mama tells him she's pregnant? I'm just here enjoying my Papa-johns loaded Trancendental Pizza minding my own business, so maybe entertain the idea of personal responsibility for a change.

So your point is that the playing field is completely even and racism simply no longer exists (or never existed)?

Wow

Reading this thread im so confused. At the three large tech companies I worked at, all H1B holders I ever came across all made AT LEAST as much as everyone else, were HIGHLY educated, and contributed ALL taxes and fees this country imposes.

Again, they usually made MORE.

Some of you guys act like H1B holders do menial tasks. Never once seen that in 3 different companies in Silicon Valley. Every single company gave interviews to everyone, American, non American, whatever, and every single one hired whoever was best in the interview. Nothing more or less.

Some of you guys act like H1B holders do menial tasks. Never once seen that in 3 different companies in Silicon Valley. Every single company gave interviews to everyone, American, non American, whatever, and every single one hired whoever was best in the interview. Nothing more or less.
And they ended up with a primarily white and Asian male work force, something that Intel indicates is a problem that needs solving and has vowed to change, and is taking steps accordingly.

And they ended up with a primarily white and Asian male work force, something that Intel indicates is a problem that needs solving and has vowed to change, and is taking steps accordingly.

Still ducman69ing...you cannot prove the racial makeup of the people being laid off. Beyond that, you'd also have to prove some sort of bias exists in subsequent hiring processes. From the seat your behind is occupying in Texas, you're not going to be able to verify either of those things. Until there's some evidence of foul play, you're just coming off as a nutty social justice warrior screaming about discrimination (which I guess you can do now that white people are no longer a majority in Texas) while waving a virtual sign around on the Internet.

What I find most interesting in these debates more so than disagreements over current policy are disagreements over history. And by disagreement I mean where in the world did some people come up with the stuff they say? We will be revisiting some of this history with new vigor in the coming weeks and months.

It's nonsense like this which will keep perpetuating the "race" problem in America. You want acceptance, stop playing the race card, stop trying to force everyone to "embrace" African culture, history whatever.
African Americans have made tremendous contributions to American society, technology, etc. but so have European American, Asian Americans, Pacific Islander Americans, Indian Americans, Native Americans, etc etc etc. Why do we need to constantly put ONE group on a pedestal when everyone is supposed to be "equal"?

It's nonsense like this which will keep perpetuating the "race" problem in America. You want acceptance, stop playing the race card, stop trying to force everyone to "embrace" African culture, history whatever.

See the problem with that is that I wasn't born in Africa and don't have an ancestor that was to my knowledge for the last 200 years. I'm not trying to immerse anyone in anything. I was just pointing out obvious disputes over history. Given recent events and reading some of the posts on the subject, I've lost count of the number of posts I've seen saying the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery or wasn't started because of it. If whites simply read documents from their own culture, it's beyond clear that slavery was the preeminent cause of the Civil War.

The nonsense is the constant statement that somehow working for equal treatment is putting things on a pedestal, or that understanding our own past history is done with such heavily tinted rose colored glasses.

The nonsense is the constant statement that somehow working for equal treatment is putting things on a pedestal, or that understanding our own past history is done with such heavily tinted rose colored glasses.
Equal treatment doesn't mean giving preference to one race or gender over another or excluding one race and gender from funding... that's not equal treatment by definition.

Haha, hundreds of years of slavery. Like that's an excuse. Perhaps time will heal their wounds, but seriously... the Vikings were practicing slavery for a millennia, and who do you think the Romans got the idea from? Time for people to ship up, or ship out.

This fits a few people on here at times. Although from 1 page of replies in this topic (having missed a lot of things between page like 4 and 11) I think I know who you are talking about. lol And yes he is a prick that nobody would miss if he left

See the problem with that is that I wasn't born in Africa and don't have an ancestor that was to my knowledge for the last 200 years. I'm not trying to immerse anyone in anything. I was just pointing out obvious disputes over history. Given recent events and reading some of the posts on the subject, I've lost count of the number of posts I've seen saying the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery or wasn't started because of it. If whites simply read documents from their own culture, it's beyond clear that slavery was the preeminent cause of the Civil War.

To be completely honest, I was taught (in both high school in PA and college at PSU) that the Civil War was fought over state's rights, the specific issue which caused the war being slavery. I guess it becomes an academic's choice of words, but I think most Americans understand the Civil War started because of slavery.

I think I may have also come across as a bit harsh, but I grew up in Europe and never understood all the race issues in the USA. To me, and to many other "non-Americans" (purely anecdotal) I know personally, it seems that "race" is always highlighted in the USA. Every document I've filled out in the USA asks me for my race/ethnicity; now I ask, why is this necessary? If I want to teach the next generations that there truly is no difference between races besides physical appearance, then why would I try and highlight these differences all the time? Why must one ethnicity/race be given preferential treatment? Why a Black History Month? Why not an American Diversity History Month, celebrating all the contributions of every group? Why not an Irish Immigrants Diversity Month (this group was also heavily mistreated in the USA, look it up)?

My 2 cents.

It didn't have anything to do with slavery. It had to do with the federal government expanding its powerbase and not wanting the loose the lucrative income from the South.

The tyrant Lincoln (and yes, someone who has newspaper editors arrested and who has congressman arrested for disagreeing with him is a tyrant) didn't give a damn about black people. His plan was to ship them all back to Africa. This was a powergrab and nothing more.

Are you fucking kidding me? We got any holocaust deniers here too?

The civil war wasn't about slavery? Lincoln was a tyrant? Who ARE you people?

It didn't have anything to do with slavery. It had to do with the federal government expanding its powerbase and not wanting the loose the lucrative income from the South.

The tyrant Lincoln (and yes, someone who has newspaper editors arrested and who has congressman arrested for disagreeing with him is a tyrant) didn't give a damn about black people. His plan was to ship them all back to Africa. This was a powergrab and nothing more.

The North didn't start the war, the South did ... they had no right to secede and we should be thankful the North did win ... I don't know of any country split down the middle that has survived as two separate entities without a Civil War (look at the remnants of Persia) ... the Civil War certainly wasn't about slavery (although slavery was the catalyst) it was about Union (and the Union side won) ... Lincoln had extraordinary powers as president (but he was also the only president to have to manage the country in the midst of a Civil War) ... and he even held an election during the war (if he had been the tyrant you accuse him of being he wouldn't have done that ... and he had many advisers suggesting there not be an election)

Back