Intel's Fall Desktop Launch Event is Live

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Intel is streaming their Fall Desktop Launch Event, where they will officially announce the Core 9000 series lineup.

Starting at 10 a.m. EDT/7 a.m. PDT Monday, Oct. 8, Intel will kick off its Fall Desktop Launch Event in New York City. You are invited to join our livestream as Intel’s Anand Srivatsa, vice president and general manager in the Client Computing Group, delivers the keynote and invites special guests on stage. Tune in and learn about Intel’s next line of desktop processors for gaming, content creation and high-end PCs.

Preordered 9600k for $262 (it's $263 in the Amazon listing) is a bit cheaper than the 8600k from Newegg ($279). FWIW, B&H wants $279 for the 9600k preorder.

I guess i7s are dropping hyperthreading from now on? Seems a bit ridiculous that you gain two cores, but lose threads with this generation. Especially with the i9 costing as much as it does.

I don’t know if HT is worth $110 more, honestly I am more interested in the 2700x vs 9700K.

moar coars++

Unlike Coffee Lake, there's no accompanying price cuts. The price cap has been raised to make room for the 8-core models.

its not on amazon for me

I just hit refresh on this page and the price went away from the listing. It had popped up when I searched for "Intel 9600k" earlier and was a pre-order with availability on the 19th. No crazy dodeca-box.

I could make a screengrab and upload it somewhere if it's important.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just hit refresh on this page and the price went away from the listing. It had popped up when I searched for "Intel 9600k" earlier and was a pre-order with availability on the 19th. No crazy dodeca-box.

I could make a screengrab and upload it somewhere if it's important.
Link works for me, $289

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
X299 refresh looks pretty underwhelming, oh well it will save me money then, might upgrade when there are CPU's with spectre/meltdown fixes then.

X299 refresh looks pretty underwhelming, oh well it will save me money then, might upgrade when there are CPU's with spectre/meltdown fixes then.
This. Few hundred MHz and some pcie lanes isn't compelling enough in the face of spectre.

I'll save my money and see what AMD has on tap next Christmas.

This. Few hundred MHz and some pcie lanes isn't compelling enough in the face of spectre.

I'll save my money and see what AMD has on tap next Christmas.

Supposedly they have fixes available for spectre baked in with no performance decrease. If it addresses all the variants, I don't know.

Supposedly they have fixes available for spectre baked in with no performance decrease. If it addresses all the variants, I don't know.
Source? I thought they didn’t do any mitigation on this. Cascade yes, not this. I’d love to be proven wrong.
Getting one regardless. Please provide source if you can..

They’re still having to use software. Software = slowdown. Not a 100% hardware fix. I bet there is zero change in the massive performance hit NVMe and Optane take.
The thing is there will now, be no way to test a before/after as the new BIOSs are required just to run the new CPUs.

It would take clocking a 9600K exactly like an 8700K with an unfixed BIOS and comparing...

They’re still having to use software. Software = slowdown. Not a 100% hardware fix. I bet there is zero change in the massive performance hit NVMe and Optane take.
The thing is there will now, be no way to test a before/after as the new BIOSs are required just to run the new CPUs.

It would take clocking a 9600K exactly like an 8700K with an unfixed BIOS and comparing...
Depends on nature of fix. Only way to know for sure is to test. But the site implies there are negligible performance impacts

Back