Intel's DG2 gaming GPU's ready to roll

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Raja Koduri showing off the B0 stepping of the Xe-HPG DG2...3070 kiiller?

https://twitter.com/Rajaontheedge/status/1399966271182045184

DG2.jpg

I dunno about you guys, but I'm seeing a curvy burlesque dancer in that die shot.
thats raja's goofy face...

i hope this can add some competition but the whole 3070 level performance for a first release is a little unbelievable to me...

Thought it was a "Fragile" coffee cup with steaming coffee.

If they pop out a low end card under $100 for light gaming, I am buying one for Plex day 1

3070 killer? HA! I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't see it. Maybe they can put out something to challenge the 3060 and even that could be hard to do. Even if raw performance can get there, I have absolutely zero confidence in Intel's drivers and even less confidence in their ability to market the damn thing or price it well.

3070 killer? HA! I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't see it. Maybe they can put out something to challenge the 3060 and even that could be hard to do. Even if raw performance can get there, I have absolutely zero confidence in Intel's drivers and even less confidence in their ability to market the damn thing or price it well.
I know from their results in Enterprise their Ponte Vecchio GPU's are beasts that are giving the biggest from NVidia a run for its money in that space, so I am optimistic for the launch. But even if they launched a 3080 killer I doubt I would heavily consider it for their first-round Intel has this fun habit of launching cool things then letting it die a slow death after the first year, so even a 3070 killer is a stretch unless they are seriously undercutting it price wise. I mean Intel is a huge well-known brand for sure but as far as gaming GPU exploits go they might as well be a noname brand entry competitor because they have absolutely no historical data to back this up.

People doubting Intel can compete with mid range Nvidia parts.... forget just how much Nvidia has been pouching the dog the last few years. lol
AMD essentially did nothing on GPUs for damn near 3 years and have been able to keep pace. Nvidia hasn't exactly been racing against themselves. Intel competing with the 3070 on their high end golden die parts shouldn't be all that big a deal. I mean it is Intel so its very possible they can't... but really any company that pours $ in for a couple years at this point should basically be able to match Nvidia. Whatever actual lead they may have had at some point they pretty much pissed away.

people won't care about their lack of experience in the dedicated GPU market if they can put out a solid product...Intel is a name people trust, just like Apple...if Apple released a new GPU next week people would buy it

Reactions: ChadD
like this
People doubting Intel can compete with mid range Nvidia parts.... forget just how much Nvidia has been pouching the dog the last few years. lol
AMD essentially did nothing on GPUs for damn near 3 years and have been able to keep pace. Nvidia hasn't exactly been racing against themselves. Intel competing with the 3070 on their high end golden die parts shouldn't be all that big a deal. I mean it is Intel so its very possible they can't... but really any company that pours $ in for a couple years at this point should basically be able to match Nvidia. Whatever actual lead they may have had at some point they pretty much pissed away.
NVidia and AMD have basically been relying on node improvements for any of their performance increases for the last while, yeah they add some new features but both of them at hitting brick walls on what monolithic designs can do without being something too risky to actually mass produce. MCM designs are going to be game-changers when they hit, and I think that the Unreal 5 engine is finally going to have the capabilities to use them, but since that is a year out I would say MCM's are 2 years at best.

Intel has a lot of experience in GPU's just not fast ones, their mobile Iris XE stuff is properly whooping AMD here but given AMD is still using Vega for even their recently announced parts is to be expected... like why AMD. But it does appear that Intel's investors are tired of letting Intel take a distant back seat to NVidia and AMD in what is a very lucrative market space that they have all the IP patents needed to compete in.

I desperately want Intel to come out swinging on these dGPU's because both NVidia and AMD have been releasing rehashes of the same boring stuff now for the past 5 years or so.

people won't care about their lack of experience in the dedicated GPU market if they can put out a solid product...Intel is a name people trust, just like Apple...if Apple released a new GPU next week people would buy it
I'm actually sort of excited by Intel entering the game. I'm a Linux user... I admit to using windows 10 for gaming. I have at times done away with windows, and at some point some game convinces me to update a windows drive.

Intels opensource GPU drivers are without a doubt better then AMDs... they just haven't had the hardware to make that matter much. Until hopefully now. I am actually really looking forward to Intel adding a proper GPU control UI to clear Linux. That is what has always been lacking in Linux is a good developer produced and supported GUI interface.

This is the perfect market for Intel to launch into. As long as they don't release a giant turd, it will instantly sell out. Hell, a turd would probably sell out.

Competition is great for us, the consumer. I hope they do well and would love to see them gut punch both AMD and Nvidia.

This is the perfect market for Intel to launch into. As long as they don't release a giant turd, it will instantly sell out. Hell, a turd would probably sell out.

Competition is great for us, the consumer. I hope they do well and would love to see them gut punch both AMD and Nvidia.
Does Intel face the same supply constraints that the other GPU manufacturers are up against? I know they have their own fabs, but I don't remember reading where they were producing the GPUs and whether they were doing so in-house.

Does Intel face the same supply constraints that the other GPU manufacturers are up against? I know they have their own fabs, but I don't remember reading where they were producing the GPUs and whether they were doing so in-house.
Not to the same degree, Intel has their own supply and contracts and while they may be only getting 80% of their usual, their 80% is still 3x more than everybody else’s 100%

Not to the same degree, Intel has their own supply and contracts and while they may be only getting 80% of their usual, their 80% is still 3x more than everybody else’s 100%
So you're saying there's a chance that normal people might get their hands on one?

The main issue with chips is contracts are drawn up months ahead of time. Intel has planned to have a launch for this for some time... so the fab space may have been reserved for them over a year back. I don't know if they actually have production already turned out... but even if not good chance they have at least some space paid for and reserved for as much as a couple years back already.

thats raja's goofy face...

i hope this can add some competition but the whole 3070 level performance for a first release is a little unbelievable to me...
These cards will sell out no matter what if they can match a vega64 :). Watch the dam Miners buy these up as well

512 execution units? Compared to 32 execution units on the 11700K? So maybe 16 times as fast as the integrated graphics in a Rocket Lake chip. Hmmm... how fast is that? Anyone have a calculator?

Depends entirely on how they structured their contract with TSMC. They might have tons of wafers, they might only have a small run. Knowing Intel, it isn't a small run, at all.

The HPG series is being made on TSMC 7nm, possibly 6nm since that's essentially the same node with enhancements.

Ready to roll? Not yet.

I expect at least 400k cards to be produced for launch early next year, possibly sooner but not likely.

It is going to be a big deal. Not sure what kind of deal yet, but does have excellent potential. It is down to software at this point.

And it was designed for N6.

Edit: 400k for 1H22 is my low estimation.

Last edited:
512 execution units? Compared to 32 execution units on the 11700K? So maybe 16 times as fast as the integrated graphics in a Rocket Lake chip. Hmmm... how fast is that? Anyone have a calculator?
Well the 11700k, is about half the performance of a GT1030, so we are looking at 8x faster than that as a reference, which puts it a little ahead of the 3060TI.

Depends entirely on how they structured their contract with TSMC. They might have tons of wafers, they might only have a small run. Knowing Intel, it isn't a small run, at all.

The HPG series is being made on TSMC 7nm, possibly 6nm since that's essentially the same node with enhancements.
Intel already stated that their order for their 180,000 6nm wafers was for a different project and their GPU solutions were only viable at the Intel 7nm or TSMC 5nm processes and smaller.

Back