Intel’s 905P Optane M.2 SSD Will Be Available in October

1TB/2TB models would need to exist
Those speeds seem a bit low compared to what other M2 drives are capable of but willing to wait and see on that
Power consumption and heat? That could spell trouble too

Think I'd like to see what it can do and then weigh the size price performance out

I'm... moderately interested.

Switched back to a SATA M.2 from an NVMe stick because I needed to free up a SATA port elsewhere and don't notice the difference for desktop usage.

These things should actually show a noticeable difference to the 'feel' of a desktop system and the release of a full-speed NVMe version will be nice so long as they keep the capacities reasonable and don't blow the prices out of the water.

My optane 900P is still in the box because I couldn't make it fit in my Dan case lol.

1TB/2TB models would need to exist
Those speeds seem a bit low compared to what other M2 drives are capable of but willing to wait and see on that
Power consumption and heat? That could spell trouble too

Think I'd like to see what it can do and then weigh the size price performance out
You don’t buy Optane for sequential workloads, but for 4K Random Read performance.
Optane blows all other M2 drives out by 5x-6x in 4K low-qd random reads. This is what equates to a snappy experience, not sequential hero numbers.
Buy a 970 Pro for sequential workloads.

Yes I am interested in one of those to replace my 960Pro as a boot drive SOLELY for the huge performance advantage it has on 4K Random Reads - i.e. Daily Desktop responsiveness.
It is the only drive that can make a day-to-day difference.

Even for sequential workloads you would have to use both a source and target drive with of the same performance class to see the difference. Yet, unless you need real time performance such as 4K / 8K video editing even modern mechanical drives are fine for occasional big file transfers.

Micron/Intel has been hyping this 3D Xpoint shit forever and have basically done nothing with it so far (at least on the consumer front). Maybe when Micron releases their competitor product later this year early next year it will help on pricing.

Micron/Intel has been hyping this 3D Xpoint shit forever and have basically done nothing with it so far (at least on the consumer front).

They've been working on shrinking the controller for M.2; you could already get the U.2 drive and a cheap adapter kit for M.2 and get full speed, or just get the PCIe variant.

This was pre-orderable from Newegg - anybody see anything? Reviews? Anything?

Back