Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why would use mesh? Rings scale well to eight cores.

if its ring thats 1 less worry, which i wouldnt have brought it up in the first place. didnt x299 8core uses mesh? above 6 it used mesh or it used mesh starting from 6c i cant remember. i know ring scales well, but if it use mesh its fine too as long as we can clock that mesh frequency to at least 4000mhz+

AFAIK all SkyLake-X uses mesh, starting from the 6-core 7800x(which makes it kind of pointless). I would expect an 8-core CFL to use ring just because it would be weird for them to re-architecture around mesh for the last 14nm product, especially when that might make it worse for some desktop applications...

AFAIK all SkyLake-X uses mesh, starting from the 6-core 7800x(which makes it kind of pointless). I would expect an 8-core CFL to use ring just because it would be weird for them to re-architecture around mesh for the last 14nm product, especially when that might make it worse for some desktop applications...

thats one great news. now just hoping the security fix will not lower its performance.

Really gotta wonder about clockspeeds on these- I like the idea of a consumer socket 8-core, but it's going to be a very hard sell next to Ryzen if they price it higher and both stock and overclocked clockspeeds aren't up to 8700k levels.

Since it isn't detecting a name like i7 8790K or some gobbly gook code name but it is detecting Intel CPU 0000 which to me, suggests its an early ES, expect clocks to rise.

I would speculate that there will be more than one 8-core part. At least an 8 core version of the(edit) i7 8700 that can boost close to 3.7 ghz all core on a cheaper B360 which will be good competition against the r7 2700 as well as a new flagship that can hit close to 4.5 ghz with a z370/z390 and crush everything.

I am guessing this is the former.

Last edited:
Since it isn't detecting a name like i7 8790K or some gobbly gook code name but it is detecting Intel CPU 0000 which to me, suggests its an early ES, expect clocks to rise.

how long does it usually take from ES to actual CPU release?

Depends, 3-6 months is my guess coz 14nm is mature and its Coffee Lake Again(or should I say Skylake?.

really hoping for a plugn play and that intel will not screw with it to make it incompatible on z370.. 8 core no HT will be awesome in my laptop. im currently 6c/12t at 4.9ghz, average load temp peaked at around 78-81c in laptop. 8c with turned off HT will prob only run a tad hotter than this.

Intel loves leaking its own stuff nowadays, eh?

Intel Technical Documents show two Coffee Lake S 8 Core SKUs, 95/80w.
X8yFhA2.png

Intel Tech Documents said:
Test Plan/Procedures describe the test suite and procedures used to perform validation and peripheral, environmental, thermal, qualification, emissions, reliability, compatibility or performance testing. Rev 1.5 - added 2 new 8C SKUs: CFL-S 8C 95W & 80W and updated other 6C/4C SKU limits.

Side note:

Intel Coffee Lake 8 core @3.1GHz Base clock, KBL Platform, spotted on Sisoft

Genuine Intel(R) CPU 0000 @ 3.10GHz (8C 16T 3.1GHz, 8x 256kB L2, 16MB L3)

So I am guessing the 3.1 ghz model is the higher end 95w part and the 2.6 ghz model is the 80w cpu (probably locked).

Currently rocking an AMD 880k (4GHz) with 2400mhz ram.

What kinda of performance upgrade would I see going to an CFL i3 with 2400mhz (cas15) ram?

Mostly do internet, youtube, older games ( War Thunder, KF2, AoE II, Red Orchestra 2, SC2, etc... so single/dual thread performance is paramount.)

Since I don't overclock. Would a non-k i5 be worth consideration? ( I gain 2 cores and turbo features) I plan to make any upgrades last me atleast a couple years.

Last edited:
Since we know there will be ZERO IPC improvement over 8700K/7700K, this 8C needs to hit 5.0GHz just as easily as my 8700Ks do.
What are the chances? What will the stock boost clock be?

Currently rocking an AMD 880k (4GHz) with 2400mhz ram.

What kinda of performance upgrade would I see going to an CFL i3 with 2400mhz (cas15) ram?

Mostly do internet, youtube, older games ( War Thunder, KF2, AoE II, Red Orchestra 2, SC2, etc... so single/dual thread performance is paramount.)

Since I don't overclock. Would a non-k i5 be worth consideration? ( I gain 2 cores and turbo features) I plan to make any upgrades last me atleast a couple years.

They don't test those games but here is the i3-8100 with 2400 RAM. The i5-8400 is much faster, 110 FPS instead of 81 in Ashes. https://www.techspot.com/review/1499-intel-core-i3-8100-i3-8350K/page3.html

Since we know there will be ZERO IPC improvement over 8700K/7700K, this 8C needs to hit 5.0GHz just as easily as my 8700Ks do.
What are the chances? What will the stock boost clock be?

same as 8700k both are on 14nm++. with more cores its a bit harder so i'd say best binned are sitll gonna be 5.3ghz

as long as they will support Z370 chipset.... I might give it a go.... my i5-8600K only barely reaches 4.8GHz 1.34v stability so gladly get a hopefully better chip.

People with 240-280mm AIOs are going to have thermal issues at 5ghz and above on 8C CFL, at least if they are actually maxing out all 8 cores(prime95 or even just video encoding probably). Heck it isn't even that hard to overheat your VRM with an 8700K if it's not a top tier ROG board, Taichi, etc.

We already have a 14nm 8c/16t intel chip for consumers, the i7-7820X. How much better could the next i7 8c/16t part be (besides being cheaper)?

Well, SL bins the 7820x up to 4.9ghz, and I know it can hit 5ghz if you are willing to pour on the vcore and have serious cooling to handle the heat, so the answer is probably 5% better at MOST. And you'll definitely need a custom loop to handle that.

We already have a 14nm 8c/16t intel chip for consumers, the i7-7820X. How much better could the next i7 8c/16t part be (besides being cheaper)?

Mesh vs Ring bus. SKL-X is no better than Ryzen at gaming and in some cases worse, even with a huge overclock. An 8 core CFL would give stellar performance on all fronts.

The 7820x would still have its place for those that need extra i/o nor quad channel memory.

Mesh vs Ring bus. SKL-X is no better than Ryzen at gaming and in some cases worse, even with a huge overclock.

Several reviews disagree about the gaming capacities of the 7820X compared to Ryzen.

That being said, can we assume that clock-for-clock single thread performance for this new 8c/16t chip will be the same as on the 8700k, with a potential +33% (8 core over 6 core) in multi-threaded tasks, and the same thermal output an overclock-ability as the 7820X?

Or do I have that all wrong?

Well SKL-x and this are a different node, so not comparable. It potentially had 33% more mt performance than an 8700k given the user delids his new $400? cpu, attaches a 360mm cooler, and gets a Z370 board with some nice vrms.

So it will be at the same speed as Kaby lake with no bios updates. ;)
Or did they fix all the problems? If the speed gets reduced any more it will be on par with bulldozer.

But 28 cores at 5ghz(minus 15%) is still dam sweet. It would do wonders for DC projects! :)

The article just says Intel will release A new X-series processor, not several processors which would be the case for Cascade Lake. Perhaps they are talking about the 28 core parts (7990XE?).

It is difficult to believe the series will jump from 18-core to 28-core without intermediate SKUs.

28 cores at 5ghz and all you need is an 1800W chiller and insulated tubing for sub-ambient cooling. Whatever. That's literally existing hardware in a new sku.

28 cores at 5ghz and all you need is an 1800W chiller and insulated tubing for sub-ambient cooling. Whatever. That's literally existing hardware in a new sku.

well yea i dont think people are that dumb not to know its not possible at the same node and architecture. we are simply in for the hype and hoping intel would give best of their binned chip with this 28 core, so with sufficient cooling it can still do wonders.

real expectation prob 4ghz on 28 cores with TB3 working on 1-2 cores, not sure.

Dayman i was so sure intel will show an 8 core CFL-S cpu at computex, we got 2 days left and still nothing.. me worried

edit: just checked semiaccurate on intel's stuff they posted on the 4th, doesn tlook like it has 8 core CPU at computex this year.. damn

Last edited:
Dayman i was so sure intel will show an 8 core CFL-S cpu at computex, we got 2 days left and still nothing.. me worried

edit: just checked semiaccurate on intel's stuff they posted on the 4th, doesn tlook like it has 8 core CPU at computex this year.. damn

At this point I think it's considered 9th Gen because if this

New S series line(desktop processors) by the end of this year

At this point I think it's considered 9th Gen because if this

New S series line(desktop processors) by the end of this year

this be 14nm++ right? hoping for another round of binning on 14nm before 10nm+ make its way to market.

Back