Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newegg increased the 8700K to $419.99 today.
Man think of the MILLIONS in law suit someone is going to file and win against Newegg soon.

They probably have a SemiTruck full of 8th gens. And they are releasing lots of 10 at a time to slowly elevate the market price. Someone is gonna burn.

All these companies pull shit like this. They just have to get caught.

How are you going to cool it at 1.425? I personally wouldn't go over 1.3v.

Other than digital penis there is no need to push these so hard. 5.2 is great for a one time bench. But back that shit down to like 4.7 or 4.8 and let it rock that way. The difference in whatever it is you are trying to gain is not worth the power and heat and wear on that Si chip you are causing.

Man think of the MILLIONS in law suit someone is going to file and win against Newegg soon.

They probably have a SemiTruck full of 8th gens. And they are releasing lots of 10 at a time to slowly elevate the market price. Someone is gonna burn.

They're "only" making $40 extra a pop. It's not really enough to justify intentionally limiting stock, especially since the chips are only available for about 20-30 minutes PER DAY.
Has Amazon even sold a single 8700K in the US? All the other retailers are super short, too. These chips are rare as hell.

They're literally selling at $650 on Ebay. MORE EXPENSIVE than a retail 7820X. Newegg could have launched the 8700K at $500+ and they still would have sold every single one. The world is flipped on its head, lol.

Other than digital penis there is no need to push these so hard. 5.2 is great for a one time bench. But back that shit down to like 4.7 or 4.8 and let it rock that way. The difference in whatever it is you are trying to gain is not worth the power and heat and wear on that Si chip you are causing.

It's at 5GHz / 1.285v now and seems happy.

I never planned on pushing it to the limit, I just had it binned to get an idea of what that limit was. As I said, not sure how good 5.2/1.425 is.

Here ya go ....

Here is my system :)

Of course its not 100% stable but I am working on it. I think I have it stable at 1.25 5ghz all core OC. It will boot and run windows fin at 1.20/5ghz, use browser fine, youtube, music etc.... but cinebench siezes it 50% of the time and Prime95 will lock it down.

I think I have a golden CPU no doubt maybe even platinum but that is really reaching for the stars. It might be gold plated silver but its acting like gold none the less.

https://valid.x86.fr/wczuku

wczuku.png

Last edited:
(y)
They're literally selling at $650 on Ebay. MORE EXPENSIVE than a retail 7820X. Newegg could have launched the 8700K at $500+ and they still would have sold every single one. The world is flipped on its head, lol.

$650!? Let I saw they were 500+...Jesus. It's a dick move but if people will pay it, why not. Hmm. Makes me consider selling my unopened 8700k while I wait for a mobo... Decisions decisions

(y)

$650!? Let I saw they were 500+...Jesus. It's a dick move but if people will pay it, why not. Hmm. Makes me consider selling my unopened 8700k while I wait for a mobo... Decisions decisions
Yeah more like $630-$650 to be precise...

It's really not that hard to buy one at normal price from a retailer.
Some people are just very desperate.

I will most likely be buying more if the price holds up. This is a great way to turn my Newegg gift cards into cash.

Last edited:
(y)

LOL... I'm in the same situation. But eBay charges a 10% final value fee. I got my 8700K for $370 from B&H so $650 - $65 fees - $10 shipping - $370 = $205 net profit, but if I have to pay ~$440 for a new one from NewEgg (after CA tax) in a couple of weeks, I look at that as another -$70 so $135 profit? Barely enough for me to consider it when it's just sitting around on the table... but I think me and my puppy will just hang onto it.

PtTkT80.jpg

Last edited:
Randomly refreshed Newegg and the 8700K is in-stock.

EDIT: Apparently I have godlike timing because I loaded the page immediately after they went in-stock.
Just ordered one, gonna flip it on Ebay to pay for my delidded/binned chip.

The demand is quite excessive. All those SB owners holding out so long. They come in stock now and then, else filling backorders. Its not that hard to get unless you want it next day.

Lawsuit for what? Newegg can price whatever they want. Its called a free market.

Why people still give Newegg their money is where you have to ask the question. But I dont think you can sue people for stupidity like that.

The demand is quite excessive. All those SB owners holding out so long. They come in stock now and then, else filling backorders. Its not that hard to get unless you want it next day.
Newegg is getting stock daily, so it seems silly to pay nearly double (+$250) for the 8700K. In fact, if you're observant, Newegg refreshes their stock at 3 PM EST. So you even know when they will show up.
If you're really lazy, pull an RSS feed off the Intel subreddit and add alerts for the word "stock". Boom, done.

I know some people have a lot of money to throw around, but there's no way it's worth that much to save the effort. I could've bought at least four 8700K's by now and I haven't even been trying!

Missed the highlighted K. Sorry.

Truth is that it's not a 65W part. It can be, but you'll probably not see the full 4.3ghz in a SFF rig like the Dan Case I'm using with L9i. If I put it in an NCASE M1 with a bigger cooler, I'm fairly certain it would be ok.

Curious as to what the temps might be for a delidded 8700 (non K-series) with a 120mm AIO as the cooling solution (in a Phanteks Evolv Shift chassis)...

I don't get it. At $500, you guys should be looking at the 7820X instead. Sure you pay a little more for the board, but at least you have a (theoretically) upgradable X299 board instead of a one trick pony Z370.

None of the x299 chips have the IPC of the 8700k much less the OC headroom.

I quoted my self to clear up what I was saying.... But were talking like a few points of CInebench here. I think like less than 8 points give or take and that is with the 8700K oc'd to 4.8 and higher.

THe more I look at the 7820x the more I am thinking of taking my 8700K back and getting one instead. I have a few more days to make my mind up.

I don't get it. At $500, you guys should be looking at the 7820X instead. Sure you pay a little more for the board, but at least you have a (theoretically) upgradable X299 board instead of a one trick pony Z370.

I think a fascination with hitting 5 ghz has more to do with it then anything. But the 7820x has mesh architecture and some will avoid it due to that.

It's about the games. 7820X is a fine workstation CPU but for gaming the 8700K rules the CPU world.
Would you be able to tell if you had the 7820x and 8700k both running at 4.5? Yes, in fps it might be greater, but I bet it would not make a difference.
8700k is good if your only gaming.

I quoted my self to clear up what I was saying.... But were talking like a few points of CInebench here. I think like less than 8 points give or take and that is with the 8700K oc'd to 4.8 and higher.
What does the 8700k do at 5GHz in Cinebench single thread?

Would you be able to tell if you had the 7820x and 8700k both running at 4.5? Yes, in fps it might be greater, but I bet it would not make a difference.
8700k is good if your only gaming.
There are still a lot of things that are single thread limited, it's not only gamers demanding high single core ipc & speeds. My four year old eight core here never holds me back in multi threaded loads, it is ALWAYS a single threaded workload when I have to wait on the computer. The biggest problem for me is AutoCAD and specifically attaching pdfs that causes me constant slowdowns in my workflow.

There is still plenty of software that isn't, and never will be, multi thread capable. So these increases still hold great value.

There are still a lot of things that are single thread limited, it's not only gamers demanding high single core ipc & speeds. My four year old eight core here never holds me back in multi threaded loads, it is ALWAYS a single threaded workload when I have to wait on the computer. The biggest problem for me is AutoCAD and specifically attaching pdfs that causes me constant slowdowns in my workflow.

There is still plenty of software that isn't, and never will be, multi thread capable. So these increases still hold great value.
How much slower at 4.5 is the 7820x in single threaded?

How much slower at 4.5 is the 7820x in single threaded?
I dunno, I have my old amd 8350 @ 4.6ghz. I can tell you that it's single threaded performance is certainly lacking, that's why I want Intel for my next machine. I thought saying it was 4 years old would have helped identify that from the 7820x which released this year. I had hoped things would have moved forward using all these cores back then, but obviously software never caught up. This is why the 8700k is appealing to me, less cores but each one should be doing significantly more work. I think if Intel had a 4 core chip that clocked to 6ghz I would prefer that too, but no such thing exists.

My 7820x boosts to 4.6 Ghz on all cores without making any OC adjustements in bios, gaming wise I have little complain so far other then that borderlands 2 is a bit choppy at times.

I dunno, I have my old amd 8350 @ 4.6ghz. I can tell you that it's single threaded performance is certainly lacking, that's why I want Intel for my next machine. I thought saying it was 4 years old would have helped identify that from the 7820x which released this year. I had hoped things would have moved forward using all these cores back then, but obviously software never caught up. This is why the 8700k is appealing to me, less cores but each one should be doing significantly more work. I think if Intel had a 4 core chip that clocked to 6ghz I would prefer that too, but no such thing exists.
Significantly more work than the 7820x per core? I don't think so. Maybe with a Ryzen, but for gaming it would not make much of a difference since most new games use 4+ cores.

Last edited:
8700K back in stock at Newegg. It seems to becoming more available. Mine arrives today.

Significantly more work than the 7820x per core? I don't think so. Maybe with a Ryzen, but for gaming it would not make much of a difference since most new games use 4+ cores.
Significantly more than my 8350. I am not comparing to the 7820x, I never was lol. Perhaps my post was a little confusing originally. I am not interested in the 7820x as I don't deal with much in the multi threaded world. What little I do is done on my plex server, which has a Ryzen 1700x. For MY needs on my new pc, single thread speed holds the crown. The 8700k still has the most value, because the extra cost for the cores of 7820x are not useful to me. I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer for the 8700k to have some real availability.

Back