Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newegg has been having spurts of inventory for sale of 8700ks. It is almost like they are releasing chips in small chunks to justify the markup to $400 per chip. It seems to me that is unethical by all means. I really do not like newegg that much and never have.

I am waiting on Microcenter to get some chips but they don't have any and I haven't seen them get any. It as if Intel only wants Newegg to sell their chips right now.

There is no way Newegg is getting a truck in every few hours with a few chips on each truck. They probably got a pallet of product and have been playing games with people to make a few dollars. It is retarded and evil. Yes I am making a wild assumption here but cm'on.

(i). For all practical purposes, Z270 and Z370 are identical. It's like a rev. 2 Z270. There is less difference between Z270/Z370 than there was between Z170/Z270. Z390 is the real next gen chipset.

(ii). The Asus manager clearly stated, "Not really. It [the power delivery] makes a little bit of difference, but not much." You keep carrying on about lower end boards not being able to support overclocking. Nothing has changed. If you want a good overclock, you buy a higher end board with better power regulation. I see no reason why a locked i5 or i7 chip running a 65W TDP couldn't possibly work with a Z270 board because it doesn't have the power delivery pins? Or a milder OC than you'd get with a high end ROG board. You're full of shit (again) and we see through it.

The Asus manager says again that the only reason it doesn't work is because Intel locked compatibility.
bit-tech: So if you wanted and Intel let you, you could make Z270 compatible?
Andrew: Yes, but you also require an upgrade from the ME [Management Engine] and a BIOS update. Intel somehow has locked the compatibility.

This is clearly a strong arm tactic by Intel. Asus basically just beat around the bush and confirmed it.

(iii). I seriously doubt the Asus manager is forgetting the obvious. Essentially, he's telling bit-tech that there is no reason for the Z370 if you read between the lines.

(i) Did you miss the differences? Or you are going to argue that if the differences are not important/relevant to you then both chipsets are the same? That is a weird way to argue.

(ii) So you make here a version of what I said about how some chips could work or not on some boards and then ignore the quote that I provided about how Intle did the obvious move.

(iii) The Asus representative just says a I don't know, when he was asked about future plans. And he forgets the obvious that either new chipset is introduced now or next year.

Newegg has been having spurts of inventory for sale of 8700ks. It is almost like they are releasing chips in small chunks to justify the markup to $400 per chip. It seems to me that is unethical by all means. I really do not like newegg that much and never have.

I am waiting on Microcenter to get some chips but they don't have any and I haven't seen them get any. It as if Intel only wants Newegg to sell their chips right now.

There is no way Newegg is getting a truck in every few hours with a few chips on each truck. They probably got a pallet of product and have been playing games with people to make a few dollars. It is retarded and evil. Yes I am making a wild assumption here but cm'on.

They have what people want and will ransom it out accordingly, maybe it should not have been a paper launch

i mean wasnt microcenter selling it for 499?

I talked to a rep there a few days back when they had bundles for sale, and he claimed they had something like 438 8700K's at the time. I wound up buying a bundle with Maximus X Hero board for $630. Got about $20 bucks back from Ebates so figure it was an ok deal, especially with no taxes collected.

when newegg shipped out my 8700k i was able to get my 50 dollar refund from them since i bought the board and CPU but the CPU was backordered. They just processed it today.

Pre-ordered my 8700K from B&H on Oct 7 (minutes after the site came back from one of their random extended holidays). Order has been charged and gone to warehouse for shipping.

I guess I need to buy a mobo and some RAM now ;)

I've been keeping an eye on this page (Availability tab). I believe the warehouses they use are the same ones that fulfill other online retailers (NOT Amazon or Newegg, but some of the more regional ones).

Wow just got a txt alert that 8700k was in stock. Litearally 12 secs later out of stock. Wtf is going on Intel.

Also...

Microcenter called as I was on 8700k watch list. They had one in stock for 499 and wont budge on price. I said hell no.

Wow just got a txt alert that 8700k was in stock. Litearally 12 secs later out of stock. Wtf is going on Intel.

Also...

Microcenter called as I was on 8700k watch list. They had one in stock for 499 and wont budge on price. I said hell no.

I can tell you that it was never actually instock. I got the alert, and was already on the page and refreshed. It was never instock.

Also, if you purchase the 8700k with your Credit Card, if it has Price Rewind, you can get the difference back.

That is what I will be doing.

Anyone else got the AsRock cheap board? I don't understand why NONE of my cores are turboing according to HWMonitor 1.33? Nothing is exceding 2763mhz, I'm baffled?
New BIOS? I'm lost.

EDIT: Solved, hope it helps others.

I found it - thanks for making me persist guys, darnit phew.

The AsRock auto overclock of the BLCK (?) made the CPU force itself to a 27 multiplier, why - I don't know.
As soon as I dropped this to 100 instead of 102.3, the bios unlocked 28x multiplier mode.

I've just checked prime95 and hwmonitor, cpuz etc and it's now performing at 3900mhz most of the time. Max heat is now 54c not 44 for example.
Highest frequency thus far is 4002mhz on one core.

(I really never did set the BLCK to 102.3, I just built the thing and fired it up)

Last edited:
So my guy at Microcenter called and has an 8700k as I was on list. Basically they are not budging in price of 499 but they offer a 30 day price gaurantee which means if microcenter lowers or competitor has in stock for lower price they will refund the diff.

So... im gonna take a risk and buy onw and hope they drop in price soon.

Opinions?

Or should I be a dick and scalp even harder and offer it for like $599 lol.

Ok anyways with a board and chip combo you get 30 off so really the chip is being marked up 90 dollars instead of 120 over avg retail price of the out of stock vendors given the board savings.

No reason to bite at $120 over MSRP unless you need an upgrade immediately. 30 days might not be enough time for prices to stabilize.

So my guy at Microcenter called and has an 8700k as I was on list. Basically they are not budging in price of 499 but they offer a 30 day price gaurantee which means if microcenter lowers or competitor has in stock for lower price they will refund the diff.

So... im gonna take a risk and buy onw and hope they drop in price soon.

Opinions?
The price will drop in 31 days.

It's only money! Just buy it and enjoy!

Looking to upgrade current system (see sig) next month when the Black Friday deals start coming in. Debating whether to go with a 7820X or with an 8700K. At this point, though, I am not expecting the prices to come down in time for when I want to build.

If you are looking for an 8700K, setup an account with SMS notifications at Nowinstock.net. I bought from a batch this past week and they probably lasted an hour once notified.

If you are looking for an 8700K, setup an account with SMS notifications at Nowinstock.net. I bought from a batch this past week and they probably lasted an hour once notified.
I'm on that notification and it seems to have a lot of false positives. Which is really annoying. I think it is something on NewEggs site though.

Got a 8700k at MC today for 500 mofukn dollars sigh. This mother better OC to 5 at 1.2x volts or im gonna be a little heated.

I am glad I am not that desperate for a cpu upgrade. Paying 120 extra bucks to someone that is price gouging would piss me off and I would certainly tell them what I think right to their face.

Got a 8700k at MC today for 500 mofukn dollars sigh. This mother better OC to 5 at 1.2x volts or im gonna be a little heated.

You probably should have just gotten a 7820X if you were going to spend that much on a mainstream CPU.

You probably should have just gotten a 7820X if you were going to spend that much on a mainstream CPU.

Well I have a Threadripper but I was thinking thatas well today. I have 30 days to return so im not like losing here. Just wanna see what the coffee lake hype is all about.

If I do get an x299 im getting the x299 ITX that just came out. That would be onensick ass build

mhmm thats why i bought a 7820x

delidded it today am doing 4.9 ghz 3.2 ghz cache at 1.275/1.15v temps under normal loads are 70c on water its still got headroom to overclock more pretty dang happy with the 7820x at this point.

Well I have a Threadripper but I was thinking thatas well today. I have 30 days to return so im not like losing here. Just wanna see what the coffee lake hype is all about.

If I do get an x299 im getting the x299 ITX that just came out. That would be onensick ass build

Fair enough, I forgot from your other threads you have a Threadripper.

mhmm thats why i bought a 7820x

delidded it today am doing 4.9 ghz 3.2 ghz cache at 1.275/1.15v temps under normal loads are 70c on water its still got headroom to overclock more pretty dang happy with the 7820x at this point.

How does the 7820x compare to the 7700K or even the 8700K in benches? I am curious how gaming performance is. Obviously multithreaded apps the 8 core 7820 is going to beat the 6 core 8700k.

I finally upgraded my computer from an i7-920 to an i7-8700k. I did a few graphic benchmarks to show the differences between the two processors. 3dmark showed barely an increase in frame rates except for the cpu test, Superpositon benchmark showed about a 7% increase, and Rise of the Tomb Raider had a little increase in the overall frame rates but the min rates were a lot better in the geothermal section. These test were all done with no overclocking of the cpu or the graphics card on both systems The graphics card is a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, the 920 had 12 GB of ram and the 8700k had 16 GB of ram.. I thought I would get a little better increase in performance in these benchmarks but it doesn't look like it. The biggest increase in performance happened with X-plane 11 using Flyinside and Oculus. I went from about 20 FPS to around 55 FPS.
Here are the results:

Tomb Raider benchmark- all maximum settings except ambient occlusion on hbao+. Resolution 1440p.

i7-920
mountain peak 47.42 FPS (min 20.48, max 79.36)
syria 32.51 FPS (min 16.22, max 48.71)
geothermal 35.66 FPS (min 9.96, max 49.89)
overall 38.88 FPS

i7-8700k
mountain peak 53.08 FPS (min 23.22, max 111.53)
syria 33.26 FPS (min 22.43, max 62.71)
geothermal 34.97 FPS (min 23.75, max 49.75)
Overall 40.85 FPS

3dmark920.PNG 3dmark8700.PNG SP920.png SP8700.PNG 20171020_141850.jpg

Last edited:

At their quantities, they may know when the next batch is coming and will make that bet knowing they likely won't lose. My local supplier said they don't know and they're usually well informed, however do not do stock levels close to e.g. microcentre/newegg. They instead built 10x custom loop 1800x + V64 rigs for their latest expo this weekend, because of the 5x 8700k units they got hold of... they never push AMD either, enough said.
Went there the other day and they could only offer 8400 for a friends build. He ended up putting a deposit down on an ex-demo box above, everything top of the range and normally 5.5k down to 3k (NZD so ~2K USD). I'm going to be hiding my credit card when I go back there next week. God damn steal of the century.

I finally upgraded my computer from an i7-920 to an i7-8700k. I did a few graphic benchmarks to show the differences between the two processors. 3dmark showed barely an increase in frame rates except for the cpu test, Superpositon benchmark showed about a 7% increase, and Rise of the Tomb Raider had a little increase in the overall frame rates but the min rates were a lot better in the geothermal section. These test were all done with no overclocking of the cpu or the graphics card on both systems The graphics card is a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, the 920 had 12 GB of ram and the 8700k had 16 GB of ram.. I thought I would get a little better increase in performance in these benchmarks but it doesn't look like it. The biggest increase in performance happened with X-plane 11 using Flyinside and Oculus. I went from about 20 FPS to around 55 FPS.
Here are the results:

Tomb Raider benchmark- all maximum settings except ambient occlusion on hbao+. Resolution 1440p.

i7-920
mountain peak 47.42 FPS (min 20.48, max 79.36)
syria 32.51 FPS (min 16.22, max 48.71)
geothermal 35.66 FPS (min 9.96, max 49.89)
overall 38.88 FPS

i7-8700k
mountain peak 53.08 FPS (min 23.22, max 111.53)
syria 33.26 FPS (min 22.43, max 62.71)
geothermal 34.97 FPS (min 23.75, max 49.75)
Overall 40.85 FPS

View attachment 40539 View attachment 40540 View attachment 40541 View attachment 40542 View attachment 40543

Jesus, that's pretty underwhelming.
I guess may as well just drop another 4.5Ghz+ 2600k in my rig for now and wait it out for Zen2.

Jesus, that's pretty underwhelming.
I guess may as well just drop another 4.5Ghz+ 2600k in my rig for now and wait it out for Zen2.
He either has SSAA on in Tomb Raider or his system is jacked up. Essentially he is running at over 4k if he has SSAA maxed at 1440p. Of course at those settings the cpu is not going to make any difference and was a very stupid test to show.

I cant find any of my backplates or screws for 3 different cpu water blocks. As I sit here looking at this 8700k mounted in socket on an itx board its making me want to abandon this build and return everything. I already have a kick ass hedt Threadripper build and just really am having buyers remorse in the 8700k and Strix ITX.

I still have to get RAM and other supporting crap and just dont feel motivated to spend any more money.

I guess I can borrow ram from my 1950x and toss in my extra ssd and 1080ti and give it a run.

I can always get screws from Home Depot too.

Last edited:

What hype? Did you miss all reviews or something?

Lol it will be q1 before cfl is readily available despite being the 3rd node refresh for intel.
The only place Ice Lake launches 2018 is

In
Your
Dreams

How does the 7820x compare to the 7700K or even the 8700K in benches? I am curious how gaming performance is. Obviously multithreaded apps the 8 core 7820 is going to beat the 6 core 8700k.

its been fine overclocked in all games i have ran on it thus far. nanotube above scored pretty well in timespy but i outscore him in CPU and even though i'm using a 980 Ti at this moment i'm only 500 points behind his 1080 for example https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2587625 and here is a 1080 Ti run i did earlier in the week when i was only running at 4.7 / 3 mesh https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2556116

here's RotTR bench run on the 980 Ti beat nanotube here, pretty sure hes got something going wrong though his scores are way too low in the game. i copied his settings of 1440p maxed hbao+ as you can see the game also leveraged all 16 threads but never even came close to needing them though.

RotTR980ti-7820x.jpg

did a run on Ashes as well, that game loves cpu threads.
AotS.jpgAotScpuuse.jpg

Last edited:
See misterbobby's post. He's hammering his GPU so hard the CPU is irrelevant.

I get that, but at this point CFL or SKL-X would cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. My current X58 setup costs me nothing and probably gives me 75% of the performance.

Most would have thought the CFL i7 would compete with the Ryzen 7. As the motherboard and CPU prices stand right now, the i5 cpu/mb combo is inline with Ryzen 7. (Expensive z370 / cpu markup
An i5 should have competed against the Ryzen 5, but right now even an i3 combo is more than a Ryzen 5 setup.
$200 for an i3 8100??

Most would have thought the CFL i7 would compete with the Ryzen 7. As the motherboard and CPU prices stand right now, the i5 cpu/mb combo is inline with Ryzen 7. (Expensive z370 / cpu markup
An i5 should have competed against the Ryzen 5, but right now even an i3 combo is more than a Ryzen 5 setup.
$200 for an i3 8100??

just looked... computer store down the street from me still has i3-8100's for 130 dollars, i5-8400 for 200 and i7-8700 for 330 dollars (no K skus still) if your finding inflated prices online its due to etailers cashing in on the shortage and demand.

Consider yourself lucky. I don't have a brick and mortar pc parts retailer anywhere close to me.
They are pretty rare throught the midwest from what I have seen.

Back