Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if your just gaming pickup whatever ddr4-2666 or better you like the looks and price of.

Just scooped up an i5-8400 (non-K) on Newegg for $199. Still shows in stock.

Building out a mini-ITX rig in a S4-Mini case to replace my virtualized gaming setup through KVM on my NAS.
Other components include:
ASRock Z370M-ITX
500GB Samsung 960 Evo
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 3200 (assuming I won't have any issue with this?)
MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX

Can't wait!

Last edited:
Two to three weeks from now well probably have case loads at microcenter. Ill just wait. But if intel doesnt deliver screw it. No money from me.

Two to three weeks from now well probably have case loads at microcenter. Ill just wait. But if intel doesnt deliver screw it. No money from me.
It's worked out well for me since the mobo I want isn't available yet and I still want to see SL's prices.

If this stretches into Q1 then I'm going for R+ or waiting for Ice Lake.

Lol, all the shills saying "I'm going to buy Ryzen" should go buy a Ryzen if they aren't lying.

You can only yell "I'M GOING TO BUY RYZEN" for so long before it's obvious.

Literally writing "I'm GOING TO BUY RYZEN" every single page for 2 years straight is simply hilarious.

Lol, all the shills saying "I'm going to buy Ryzen" should go buy a Ryzen if they aren't lying.

Literally writing "I'm GOING TO BUY RYZEN" every single page for 2 years straight is simply hilarious.

77e5df1d20903d3a17b049663a127f1168e82d8ca32e296a6c9b003ab4f47fb4.jpg

Ryzen has been around for 2 years already? Time fly's!

Nothing wrong with waiting to see if Intel actually puts something with a good price/performance cpu or whatever.

Ryzen has been around for 2 years already? Time fly's!

Nothing wrong with waiting to see if Intel actually puts something with a good price/performance cpu or whatever.
People been claiming they were going to buy Ryzens since the first leaks that the name for AMD's CPU was going to be called Ryzen or Zen, or perhaps you haven't been paying attention to the entire internet for the past 3 years :D

People been claiming they were going to buy Ryzens since the first leaks that the name for AMD's CPU was going to be called Ryzen or Zen, or perhaps you haven't been paying attention to the entire internet for the past 3 years :D
I am going to buy my own planet someday, but doesn't make it true. :)

Maybe just a small moon.

Where's your Ryzen?

Did my truth hurt so much that it rendered you speechless? :D

I don't have a ryzen chip. Most of the posts here are lamenting the lack of availability. Hence your straw man argument.

To put it in your vernacular, your truth didn't hurt anyone because no one was listening.

I don't have a ryzen chip. Most of the posts here are lamenting the lack of availability. Hence your straw man argument.

To put it in your vernacular, your truth didn't hurt anyone because no one was listening.
Looks like I struck a nerve, all the shills are coming out of the woodwork.

I do t want another... look at my sig rig. I want to get an intel as a second box.

How am I a shill? I'm running an Intel CPU? All I can say is that you've earned your ticket to my ignore list.
This made me laugh. A shill for AMD but running Intel. kirbyrj you are the worst AMD shill!

This is turning out to be a fun discussion!

I did buy a Ryzen for my file server, because plex can make use of the multiple threads pretty effectively. But for my main rig I need an Intel chip, because I do work that's single threaded only, and my cpu's eight cores have poor single thread performance. If AMD had a six core ryzen part that clocked to 5.5ghz+, I would go with that. But they don't. So I shall continue to wait on an 8700k, or possibly an 8600k, if silicon lottery shows a big disparity in clocks.

You miss the whole point in why Ryzen users in the know are spending so much on ram that otherwise only people in overclocking comps would want or need (samsung b-die)

on intel - ring/mesh is independent from core and ram clocks so if your gaming performance is suffering due to core to core interconnect latency you can overclock it without buying anything.

on Ryzen - Infinity fabric is tied to the ram clock speed, due to the more unforgiving IMC in Ryzen the the only ram that can "max out" infinity fabric clocks is the most expensive ram you can buy (b-die, 200+ dollars for any 2x 8gb kit atm, 235+ dollars for good bin kits)

the performance gains in the vast majority of games has little to do with the increased ram performance and has much much more to do with the increased infinity fabric clocks.

on both my intel platforms i current own (z270 and x299) if i'm not going for subbing scores on hwbot i run my ram at xmp and don't care what its clocked or timed at because it has almost no impact on anything, even in most hwbot benches it has fairly little impact but there are some certain ones that are very ram happy like many artificial benches can be.

Honestly A standard kit of 2600 does the job I need, I built my step brother a Ryzen 1200, B350 mortar setup with a kit of 2600's and the rig plays as well as i5 4460 rig i had for my girlfriend, its not overclocked but reaches comfortable 100+ FPS in the games we play with the 1060 6G card in there.

Seeing a friend on a high end custom loop push his 1900X to 4.4ghz and hit around 2500~ on CB, that was pretty impressive.

I'm not trying to be a moron guys but what am I doing wrong?
I never see the CPU exceed 2760mhz?

I went into the Asrock ITX bios (I did get the cheapest one they offer, I admit) and enable a turbo mode.
I don't see multi-core enhancement.

I mean the machine seems ok to me but am I missing out on some speed here?

qdHy3JM.png

I'm not trying to be a moron guys but what am I doing wrong?
I never see the CPU exceed 2760mhz?

I went into the Asrock ITX bios (I did get the cheapest one they offer, I admit) and enable a turbo mode.
I don't see multi-core enhancement.

I mean the machine seems ok to me but am I missing out on some speed here?

qdHy3JM.png

If you have a entry level board your RAM dividers will be limited, 2600 is probably the max. My H97 asrock board only did 1600 max even if the RAM in it is 2133, cannot overclock it, you can tweak timings though

If you have a entry level board your RAM dividers will be limited, 2600 is probably the max. My H97 asrock board only did 1600 max even if the RAM in it is 2133, cannot overclock it, you can tweak timings though

No, I mean the frequency of the cpu?
I thought all core turbo is like, I dunno over 3ghz?

The ram, seems to be working correctly at 3000, but I can NOT seem to get a single core on this damn thing to exceed 2800?surely turbo mode kicks in now and then?

No, I mean the frequency of the cpu?
I thought all core turbo is like, I dunno over 3ghz?

The ram, seems to be working correctly at 3000, but I can NOT seem to get a single core on this damn thing to exceed 2800?surely turbo mode kicks in now and then?

Oh right my bad, is turbo core on in bios?

This is strange that Adored talked about how there is a realistic possibility that boost on the 8400 may be lucky or best case scenario, if it is limited to the board vendor some people may get 2.8ghz CPU's locked with no boost and that would be a major slap in the face.

Okay try checking BIOS but this is very interesting even though it kinda sucks for you :(.

It seems there are no issues running CofeeLake on Z270 boards according Asus. Good old Intel.:LOL:

http://www.bit-tech.net/features/tech/motherboards/asus-interview-andrew-wu-rog-motherboard-pm/1/

(i)
Z370 is not a rebrand of Z270. The specs are different

(ii)
The Asus manager claims that they could support Coffe Lake chips on the Z270 boards. As Intel mentioned the change in chipset was motivated by higher power requirements for extra cores / clocks. Overclocking is pushing systems beyond the standard limits/specs. It is possible that best Z270 mobos for overclocking could manage the power needed by new chips. Also support is not the same than optimal support.

it is still likely that the potential for high clockspeeds and further overclocking headroom may have been limiting for Coffee Lake on Z270 boards and below - in which case, most customers would likely opt for a Z370 board and its enhanced power delivery, regardless.

That some high-end mobos could support the CFL chips doesn't imply that all mobos could do. Users would confront with a weird situation where some Z270 mobos could support CFL chips and others mobos don't. So:

At one point in time, Coffee Lake processors may have been supported across some Z270 boards, but not all, with Intel deciding that the easier - and likely more profitable - option of limited board support to the latest chipset was the best course of action.

(iii)
The Asus manager also hints to the Z370 chipset having some unused power features that could be reserved for more powerful chips. A future 8-core version is in the rumors. Again the Asus representative forget the obvious. Either Intel introduces the new chipset now or introduces one year latter.

REFERENCES:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z370-vs-Z270-What-is-the-Difference-1009/

https://pcgamesn.com/intel-coffee-lake-8-core

http://www.pcgamer.com/coffee-lakes-motherboard-compatibility-hints-at-intel-releasing-8-core-cpus/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-coffee-lake-z270-z370-motherboard,35554.html

Last edited:
The entire performance debate is just so tedious and old to the point I don't actually give many f ks anymore.

AMD caught up considerable ground, and they did that by emulating the front end of Intels generation 2 and 3 core I parts, this is probably why in many single thread domains the Ryzen parts seem to be in the same class as the old Ivy/Sandy parts albeit overclocked. AMD's more modern i/o and prefetches, cache and interconnects make them superior to Sandy/Ivy in work loads and rendering applications by a considerable margin a 1600 clock vs clock and same thread count can outpace a 8700K in CB which is testament to how good a job they did there.

At some point AMD will extend the front end, will trough more ALU's and compute parts onto the uarch and the performance gap will continue to close, the winner here is the consumer, we finally have options to buy, and the only reason everyone acts like bitches is because there is genuine competition now.

I guess I must throw a bitch fit that a friends FX 8350 and his 1060 can out do my 4790K and 980ti in NewZ, oh noes the world is ending, but yeah its true I have drops from 144 down to 90-100FPS range, he is more constant around 120FPS, its very odd.

Repeating the same nonsense and gibberish --e.g., "emulating the front end"-- forever will not make it true. No one denies that competition is good, what some people is tired is of reading the same hype and lies for each new AMD product. People is also tired of suffering the same thread derail on each Intel thread.

I dont' think anyone is hyping up anything lol, that is your common sell line, many are contented with the performance levels across the board, I think most of they hype was about Intel so it was very much on the rails.

(i). For all practical purposes, Z270 and Z370 are identical. It's like a rev. 2 Z270. The biggest change is that it now supports DDR4 2666 memory. Wow...you're right the specs are way different :rolleyes:. There is less difference between Z270/Z370 than there was between Z170/Z270. Z390 is the real next gen chipset.

(ii). The Asus manager clearly stated, "Not really. It [the power delivery] makes a little bit of difference, but not much." You keep carrying on about lower end boards not being able to support overclocking. Nothing has changed. If you want a good overclock, you buy a higher end board with better power regulation. I see no reason why a locked i5 or i7 chip running a 65W TDP couldn't possibly work with a Z270 board because it doesn't have the power delivery pins? Or a milder OC than you'd get with a high end ROG board. You're full of shit (again) and we see through it.

The Asus manager says again that the only reason it doesn't work is because Intel locked compatibility.
bit-tech: So if you wanted and Intel let you, you could make Z270 compatible?
Andrew: Yes, but you also require an upgrade from the ME [Management Engine] and a BIOS update. Intel somehow has locked the compatibility.

This is clearly a strong arm tactic by Intel. Asus basically just beat around the bush and confirmed it.

(iii). I seriously doubt the Asus manager is forgetting the obvious. Essentially, he's telling bit-tech that there is no reason for the Z370 if you read between the lines.

Back