Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You've been pretty forthcoming with information so look, why don't you tell us, if you know

Will there be a regular Z390 chipset _FOR DESKTOP_ users?
Example
ROG Strix Z270I
ROG Strix Z370I
ROG Strix Z390I <---- == ????? (for example)

Cause if that's a wrap, for sure, I'll do my best to hold out till Feb 2018.

Z390 at this point looks non existent if not moved to Icelake in late 2018. The main benefit of CNL-PCH is for laptop users.

The main benefit for desktop users seems to be USB 3.1 G2. But that can always be added by 3rd party.

Power management, SDXC 3.0, Wifi/BT integration, TB3 with DP1.4 and a 14nm chipset is laptop features.

The quad core audio DSP isn't going to be used much at the start. Its more something that will see broad adoption around Icelake.

Intel-Coffee-Lake-and-300-Series-Platform-Details_4.jpg

Last edited:
Z390 at this point looks non existent if not moved to Icelake in late 2018. The main benefit of CNL-PCH is for laptop users.

The main benefit for desktop users seems to be USB 3.1 G2. But that can always be added by 3rd party.

Power management, SDXC 3.0, Wifi/BT integration, TB3 with DP1.4 and a 14nm chipset is laptop features.

The quad core audio DSP isn't going to be used much at the start. Its more something that will see broad adoption around Icelake.

Intel-Coffee-Lake-and-300-Series-Platform-Details_4.jpg

So there's no confirmation of the chipset confirmed as a coffee lake "real" chipset after all?

Like the chipset will come, but maybe a different package or pin out for laptop oems? It may nerve truly be placed on a desktop motherboard and therefore waiting for it, may be stupid?

If you do wait for it, may as well wait for coffee lake 2.0 at 10 nm (ie: ice lake?)

I really want a new pc

So if Icelake is 10mm and a new architecture, does that mean that they switch both platform and architecture at the same time next ?

So there's no confirmation of the chipset confirmed as a coffee lake "real" chipset after all?

Like the chipset will come, but maybe a different package or pin out for laptop oems? It may nerve truly be placed on a desktop motherboard and therefore waiting for it, may be stupid?

If you do wait for it, may as well wait for coffee lake 2.0 at 10 nm (ie: ice lake?)

I really want a new pc

There is no Coffee Lake chipset. There is a KBL-PCH and a CNL-PCH (CNL=Cannon Lake). ICL may or may not use the CNL-PCH as well.

ICL is NOT CFL 2.0. ICL is a new uarch at 10nm+. TGL is ICL 2.0 if you like and CFL being SKL 3.0.

For laptop CPUs the chipset is part of the package. Else its the same.

All the 300 series chipset, minus Z370 will use the CNL-PCH.

Last edited:
So if Icelake is 10mm and a new architecture, does that mean that they switch both platform and architecture at the same time next ?

The platform will likely be the same. ICL is also LGA1151 and TGL(10nm++ ICL) for that matter from the information gathered so far. ICL may or may not have PCIe 4.0 from the CPU tho to the direct connected part. But still 3.0 to the chipset.

Last edited:
The platform will likely be the same. ICL is also LGA1151 and TGL(10nm++ ICL) for that matter from the information gathered so far. ICL may or may not have PCIe 4.0 from the CPU tho to the direct connected part. But still 3.0 to the chipset.

Which makes all the sense in the world <sarcasm>. Moving from Skylake to Kabylake to Coffeelake all on the same architecture and node requires a new platform only for the last generation, but magically the new architecture and node along with possibly PCIe 4.0 will work with the new platform (which is still Z370 KBL-PCH at this point).

Kind of easy to see why people think Intel is screwing us into buying a new platform for no reason. Of course, this is the same song and dance we heard about 6 months ago from our Intel apostles about Z270 support for CFL.

The ITX and Taichi are identical, though. The rest have more phases.

Unless they use the exact same components its hard to tell from an above picture alone. I tried myself with the ITX board and its identical as you say.

But I agree, the rest is pure copy/paste designs for most. And I wonder how many mobo makers make no to little change.

Last edited:
I like that ASRock is keeping the front-mounted M.2 slot, better cooling for M.2 NVMe SSDs...?

Last edited:
Did anyone end up making a z270 itx board with dual displayport or dp + dldvi?

This hdmi bullshit isn't for me, not going to own a vr unit any time soon and hate the idea of wasting USB c port on display port adapter.

I just upgraded in June to the Z270. Now we need a new board to go with Coffee lake? Fuck me. I just hope a bios update will hold me over on my current board to jump on the 8700K.

I just upgraded in June to the Z270. Now we need a new board to go with Coffee lake? Fuck me. I just hope a bios update will hold me over on my current board to jump on the 8700K.
This is pretty much not going to happen - it's, I think - 100% confirmed now, sorry.

My advice to people for about 20 years hasn't changed - buy your CPU and motherboard assuming they are a matched set. And heck I personally put memory in that as well - when I upgrade, I always end up getting all three anyway.

This may speak to my stingy ways more than anything, but still, I'd say it's prudent advice.

Gawddammit! To hell with it, I'll run my current rig into the ground before my next upgrade.
How do you think I feel, I have a 4 year old laptop and IT has better video outputs to my 2 30" monitors than a z370 board, because of this ridiculous HDMI 2.0 fad for Oculus and Vive customers.

How do you think I feel, I have a 4 year old laptop and IT has better video outputs to my 2 30" monitors than a z370 board, because of this ridiculous HDMI 2.0 fad for Oculus and Vive customers.

Dayum. That's just....sad. I feel for you bro.

Yea I almost pulled the trigger on the 7820x sale, glad I didn't! Can't wait to see the tests from these new chips. Hoping for good pricing too.

Ugh intel would prolly release Coffeelake and Icelake with less than 10 months apart? Oh my goodness now it puts more pressure for me to either buy a chip on Jan-Feb or wait till Q3 for a much better cpu. I would really love Ice lake for my incoming Dan case.

Ugh intel would prolly release Coffeelake and Icelake with less than 10 months apart? Oh my goodness now it puts more pressure for me to either buy a chip on Jan-Feb or wait till Q3 for a much better cpu. I would really love Ice lake for my incoming Dan case.
According to this roadmap Icelake won't be out until 2019.

Surely Intel wouldn't release Z390 in H2 2018 when Icelake is meant to drop (probably in late q4) and not have it support it. Sounds idiotic to me. Also notice how 370 and 270 overlap yet they don't support the same chips, could be a similar situation with Icelake and Coffee lake.

Professional membership allows instant access to the entire site and all content. It includes immediate access to all news, analysis, and summaries of the news. It also includes access to all regularly published analysis, all news, white papers, and related materials. Pricing is $1,000 for a year’s worth of access.
Okay, Charlie.

I wouldn't mind if Ice Lake is noticeably faster. Else, 9700k better have 8 cores or just stick with the 8700k.

I am so confused. So the z370 board will not be coffee lake chipset at the start but actually kaby lake chipset? Am I reading this all correctly? If so, really puts a damper on my potential purchase.

I am so confused. So the z370 board will not be coffee lake chipset at the start but actually kaby lake chipset? Am I reading this all correctly? If so, really puts a damper on my potential purchase.

There is no Coffee Lake chipset as such. The 300 series is called Cannon Lake chipset and its very laptop focused for obvious reasons. For desktop the single thing missing on Z370 vs other 300 series may simply be USB 3 G2, unless you are into integrated wifi instead of the regular M.2 slot.

Here are the changes, the only change not listed is the chipset goes from 22nm to 14nm to save power and size.

077382dc-f61f-46b6-9fee-0e16bc3f7534.jpg

Back