Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OrangeKhrush Notice that I used a review favoring RyZen chips. For instance in the graph I gave the R5 1500x is slightly above the i3 7350K and the R3 1300X is on pair with the i3 7100. In other reviews RyZen chips are slower, for instance PcGamer found that the R5 1500x is slower than the i3 7100

rLcqFkhHwHm3CU8gmEoc4b-650-80.png

Lets hope for hard launch and not just paper launch and without prices jacked up hard, like with Vega recently.
Personally, I'll put launch availability and price on the altar for sacrifice if the silicon deities bless Coffee Lake with Z270 compatibility. XD

OrangeKhrush Notice that I used a review favoring RyZen chips. For instance in the graph I gave the R5 1500x is slightly above the i3 7350K and the R3 1300X is on pair with the i3 7100. In other reviews RyZen chips are slower, for instance PcGamer found that the R5 1500x is slower than the i3 7100

To be fair, they all seem to be ok. Certainly any cpu from the top half.

To be fair, they all seem to be ok. Certainly any cpu from the top half.

I was talking for people with 'sources' that before RyZen launch did spread in forums the idea that RyZen 1800X was going to kill the i7 7700k on games thanks to fantasies like 5GHz on air, IPC above Kabylake... The same people that immediately after launch did start posting that the problem was on the BIOS used in first reviews, and promised us that a magic BIOS update would put RyZen at the Kabylake level within a pair weeks, because 'sources' said so. Five months after launch that promised magic BIOS doesn't exist, and 4C Ryzen is usually slower than Sandy Bridge 4C. But that people cannot still accept reality.

Note this is the same people with 'sources' that pretends now that SKL-X is a "disaster" for gaming whereas RyZen is "good enough", still the PcGamer graph demonstrates that SKL-X play games much better than RyZen.

Last edited:
It's particularly painful to Kaby users because Intel has been pretty much stagnant for nearly a decade. Now that they're making a real generational improvement (since AMD's got them scurred), we miss out because we pulled the trigger on an upgrade less than a year too early. =P
Adding more cores is now considered a "real" generational improvement? That's sad. The reality is until Kaby Lake IPC has been increasing about 5-7% per generation since Sandy Bridge. While certainly not as impressive as to 50-70% we see in video cards, improvements on the CPU side are not as easy to come by and it still shows Intel has not been stagnant. Meanwhile, it took AMD 5 years to catch up to the single core performance of Intel's 6-year old processors.

Yep, sick of this crap myself - I'm an ITX guy and I can't buy nice quality high end ram without ramsinks and everyone knows (HardOCP ? Anandtech?) that it's been tested YEARS ago that ramsinks are a waste of time.

I don't wanna buy $350 of memory and delicately remove idiot ramsinks :(
Corsair Vengeance LPX?

Adding more cores is now considered a "real" generational improvement? That's sad. The reality is until Kaby Lake IPC has been increasing about 5-7% per generation since Sandy Bridge. While certainly not as impressive as to 50-70% we see in video cards, improvements on the CPU side are not as easy to come by and it still shows Intel has not been stagnant. Meanwhile, it took AMD 5 years to catch up to the single core performance of Intel's 6-year old processors.
Comparatively, yes, upping the core count by 50% is a real improvement over Intel's languishing in their cozy desktop processor monopoly over the last 6 or 7 years. This is speculation, but I'm betting Coffee Lake would be 2c i3, 4c i5, and 4c+ht i7 if it weren't for Ryzen. By the same token, I'll bet you Skylake could have been 4c i3, 6c i5, and 6c+ht i7 if Intel had any incentive to improve their products at that point. But they didn't.

You won't pull me into the fanboy fights, because I don't care. I'll buy either or both brand as they suit my needs. I'm just pointing out the obvious from a market competition standpoint.

Even though the 6C /12T i7 mainstream processor was on the roadmaps long before Ryzen was a product?

Haven't we known about this since late 2015 / early 2016?
If that's the case, then, like I said, it's just speculation on my part.

Either way, it will suck to have bought a Kaby Lake processor if Intel doesn't allow Z270 compatibility on their first fundamentally different product stack in years.

The sting will be especially sharp if, as many have said, Z370 is identical to Z270 in everything but name. =/

Last edited:
Cant believe this launches on Monday, really excited to see the cost/performance. Might actually get me to buy one!

Same here, I am extremely excited to see what is actually brought to the table here. I almost purchased a R7 1700 but I just feel like the IPC isn't where it needs to be yet. But I also didn't want to invest in Kaby Lake since they are still just quad cores. Most of my upgrades have been an increase in core count, thats part of the reason i'm still using a 3570k.

Some people also feared the 1080TI would be 899. 350 is the price segment, doesn't matter what SKU. Just as 699 is on the GPU front.
Hope you're right, we'll know in a week or two.
Intel do change things up from time to time, Intel love profit

The most discouraging possibility for me is forcing Z370 purchases and then shipping the actually-upgraded Z390 only a few months later. That is actually insane if that's their plan.
I was under the impression they would both coexist and the Z390 would be a more expensive premium platform?
It'd be serious b.s. if the Z390 is just a same-tier replacement for the Z370 for the same price ~6 months later.

I was under the impression they would both coexist and the Z390 would be a more expensive premium platform?
It'd be serious b.s. if the Z390 is just a same-tier replacement for the Z370 for the same price ~6 months later.

That's because the z370 is the z270 but Intel wants to bilk you for a new motherboard.

My assumption is changing socket to accept 6c. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense but following closely with z390 would mean it has been rushed.

Either way it's BS

That's because the z370 is the z270 but Intel wants to bilk you for a new motherboard.
Do mobos with built-in WiFi cost more than others atm? Not everybody needs it, but if Intel plans on offering it as a "free" upgrade (ie, same price as Z370) then people are gonna be mad.

All the AMD fanboy accusations aside, if the rumors that it's just a rebadge z270 and the z390 comes later, how idiotic is that they may force people to buy a platform when the z270 could be fine?!.. It's an arbitrary rule.

I for one, don't NEED the z390 but damnit, I'd prefer "the proper one" when I upgrade, you know?
It's pretty weak, even for intel,...

Do mobos with built-in WiFi cost more than others atm? Not everybody needs it, but if Intel plans on offering it as a "free" upgrade (ie, same price as Z370) then people are gonna be mad.

It depends. WiFi boards usually have other features (higher end vrm, additional sata ports) added so it's not "just" adding wifi. IMO, it's just another point of failure when you can add a wifi module on an add-on card for cheap. I don't know why people are so afraid of add-on cards. There are all those PCIe slots on an atx motherboard. Why not use them? If the card fails, replace the card and not the whole motherboard.

I'm sure it'll be something like Z170 = 48$ US per 1000, Z270 = 51$ US per 1000, Z370 = 51$ US per 1000 and Z370 = 54$ US per 1000 - some idiot thing like that. (guess numbers, of course)

Whatever they do with chipset, let's hope that all the cooling from 115x will work without needing additional mounting kits and that the 115x blocks will work with this cpu.

I was talking for people with 'sources' that before RyZen launch did spread in forums the idea that RyZen 1800X was going to kill the i7 7700k on games thanks to fantasies like 5GHz on air, IPC above Kabylake... The same people that immediately after launch did start posting that the problem was on the BIOS used in first reviews, and promised us that a magic BIOS update would put RyZen at the Kabylake level within a pair weeks, because 'sources' said so. Five months after launch that promised magic BIOS doesn't exist, and 4C Ryzen is usually slower than Sandy Bridge 4C. But that people cannot still accept reality.

Note this is the same people with 'sources' that pretends now that SKL-X is a "disaster" for gaming whereas RyZen is "good enough", still the PcGamer graph demonstrates that SKL-X play games much better than RyZen.

It's irony that the SKL X does make a poor gaming proposition, so they were right. Given a much cheaper 7700K destroys the value of a SKL X for gaming only.

If gaming yeah probably by a frsme here or there but since the 1500X has more utility beyond just gaming id rather take the threads than just a couple fps in gaming

Wifi cards used in the M.2 slot usually cost 20-25$.

It's irony that the SKL X does make a poor gaming proposition, so they were right. Given a much cheaper 7700K destroys the value of a SKL X for gaming only.

And here we go again... with the irritating double standards. When RyZen is ~15% behind, the excuse is that "it is a workstation CPU that also can play games decently". When SKL-X, a workstation CPU, is ~5% behind, then it is a "poor gaming proposition".

And the funny part is that SKL-X is not a replacement for Kabylake. The replacement for Kabylake is CoffeeLake.

If gaming yeah probably by a frsme here or there but since the 1500X has more utility beyond just gaming id rather take the threads than just a couple fps in gaming

And now changing the goal posts...

I only point it out because I have seen people who own 7700K's complaining about Intel's release cycle being too fast.
... Then when Coffee Lake comes out people will say "Thanks AMD" so it seems Intel can't win no matter what they do.

The chipset complaints are pretty much valid though.

people really should thank AMD for it, its a good thing intel finally moving to 6c. those greed stagnation bastard.

Same here, I am extremely excited to see what is actually brought to the table here. I almost purchased a R7 1700 but I just feel like the IPC isn't where it needs to be yet. But I also didn't want to invest in Kaby Lake since they are still just quad cores. Most of my upgrades have been an increase in core count, thats part of the reason i'm still using a 3570k.

yep still using 1680v2 4.3ghz ivy 8cores. waiting for coffeelake 6c 5ghz.

I wonder, how Intel will deal with TIM and IHS. I know, that in old days Kyle and crew checked if cheese can be a thermal paste :), but the recent ideas of Intel go a step ahead. Some of 7700ks are getting mad temp spikes to 90c and Intel says "ye shall not oc".

But if they have such issues with 4 cores, won't 6 cores have even bigger issues? After all it will be much densely packed die with crap TIM, because I doubt that they will solder the lid. So it might have issues with becoming OC king.

And here we go again... with the irritating double standards. When RyZen is ~15% behind, the excuse is that "it is a workstation CPU that also can play games decently". When SKL-X, a workstation CPU, is ~5% behind, then it is a "poor gaming proposition".

And the funny part is that SKL-X is not a replacement for Kabylake. The replacement for Kabylake is CoffeeLake.

And now changing the goal posts...

Didn't say that, I just said given the relative closeness of a 1500X to a 7100/I5 7400 I would rather take the 1500X and the threads it offers because there is more versatility in chip and given in my Country a 7100 costs 2400 while a 1500X costs 2700 I would go for total package rather than just a one trick pony.

Nobody said X was a workstation but would suggest SKL X and TR are more suited to that purpose than gaming hence I would recommend a 7700K over a SKL X for gaming.

I think you turned it upside and seemed to put words in my proverbial mouth.

SKL X vs Kaby in gaming can be from 5% to 20% slower stock vs stock depending on the game per GamersNexus, the other strange anomaly was the 1700X being substantially faster than all other Ryzen parts, maybe XFR but it likely was hitting the sweetspot with memory timings and bios on that particular suite. In general the Ryzens cluster up well with the more expensive 7's beating the 5's and so on.

All of their tests showed 100+++ on FPS so yeah not really an issue for gaming considering I could kill most people on a potato computer with 30-40FPS. FPS has become the excuse to subsidize lack of skill.

Back