Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

That's some bright marketing right there.

August 21st sounds perfect for me though if true but since there's been over the moon of leaks here and there, I can barely believe any article I read regarding Coffee Lake today. lol Seriously Coffee Lake must be the most mysterious and tightly sealed CPU launch so far.

CPU-Z Benchmark posted on videocardz shows 5~6% single thread perf increase over Kaby Lake which would be quite in the lines where I'd expect, ie. no big jump this time either, mostly from tweaked clock speeds but together with 2 more cores that will still be decent throughput in total.

Last edited:
the unveiling of Intel’s most powerful family of processors for the next era of computing - or for 3 months anyway, until Cannon Lake LOL

(The first CNL chips will be for laptops, so maybe a bit longer until we see "real 300 chipsets" for desktop)

Could be this whole chipset thing be a way to keep used 7700k chips from flooding the market before black friday / holidays? I mean, intel doesn't make appreciable $$$ when you buy a new MB, but the 370 strategy does keep 270 owners from selling bare CPUs.

"It's lame" isn't really a discussion topic though since it's not constructive. I think we can all agree it's lame.
If you just want to resort to whining and name-calling then /r/AMD is a great place for that these days. If you want to express your feelings as memes, then try /r/pcmasterrace.

This is a discussion thread. If you want to talk about why Intel did it, or how you think it'll impact the market, then feel free.

Who said I wanted to do those things? Labeling people amd fanboys at the drop of a hat is cheap and just as bad. Stop

I used to like browsing that sub. Then Ryzen released, was still moderately ok, but every day people felt the need to justify buying Ryzen - a good product. Then the Vega hype came and went and now its just damage control over Vega and a segfault while compiling something on Linux on Ryzen. Like damn that sub never rests.
It infest other sub too, if you say you'd like to buy Intel, because your usage needs differ, they swamp you.

The products aren't too bad, the fans are terrible.

Well as soon as you mention Intel in those places it'll be like being surrounded by sharks. :p I'm the person who still needs great IPC/clock speeds too and don't want to sacrifice that for core count (take emulatiors for example.) If you mention emulators they'd be like, stop being such a hippie and use computers what normal (read me) people uses it for. I'm not willing to pay extra for cores (above 8 at very least) I hardly have good use for (there's only so much space on a CPU die that you must make sacrifices in order to fit more cores in), but I'd be willing to spend extra on a IPC improved 6-8 core performance monster though! Heck, even if on a quad core CPU, the IPC was boosted by say 20~25% costing roughly the same as i7-8700K or thereabouts, that would have been a very considerable next upgrade for me.

Last edited:
I used to like browsing that sub. Then Ryzen released, was still moderately ok, but every day people felt the need to justify buying Ryzen - a good product. Then the Vega hype came and went and now its just damage control over Vega and a segfault while compiling something on Linux on Ryzen. Like damn that sub never rests.

AT is basically an extension of /r/AMD right now, they try hard to make you feel bad about choosing any Intel product, even inside the specific product threads. I feel like H is much more balanced, which is why I'm enjoying a lot more to post my stuff here.

AT is basically an extension of /r/AMD right now, they try hard to make you feel bad about choosing any Intel product, even inside the specific product threads. I feel like H is much more balanced, which is why I'm enjoying a lot more to post my stuff here.
It's a combination of underdog mentality, "we have to prevent AMD from going bankrupt", and the fact that Ryzen is actually a competitive product.
To some people AMD is the clear choice for a lot of reasons. So, to those people, the idea that someone else might want to buy Intel is a foreign concept. Note the same people aren't voraciously trying to convince everyone to buy Vega. Their morals go out the window when the product is a failure.

Can't say I totally disagree with them though. If I were building a rig from scratch today, I'd probably get a 1600 and be done with it.

I think more people will realize how silly the "AM4 will be supported until 2020" argument is when 2020 rolls around and they haven't upgraded their CPU. Or for some other reason you will justify getting a new mobo anyway. I would argue if you need to replace your CPU within 4 years (particularly PC gamers), then you made a really bad choice somewhere along the way!

Oh come on, that is every tech forum ever. The Intel fanatics do the same to the AMD threads. And honestly, how do you not bring in comparisons to the competition in each brand/product threads? Way too much butthurt from both sides these days.

Oh come on, that is every tech forum ever. The Intel fanatics do the same to the AMD threads. And honestly, how do you not bring in comparisons to the competition in each brand/product threads? Way too much butthurt from both sides these days.

Nope. AT drops the ban hammer/infractions on most who dare to question AMD. That place is an :AMDrone haven.

I can't wait to see these benched vs Ryzen. Man exciting times!!

Now if only SSDs battled each other to drive down prices...

Intel fanatics as you say are few and far between.

It's highly ironic for some on here to complain about AT when for the longest time on the AMD side people complained about them.

It's highly ironic for some on here to complain about AT when for the longest time on the AMD side people complained about them.

Forums would be neutral as this one, where different people can give their viewpoints and data, and post their respective wishes. AT is a place where mods ban /infract anyone that doesn't say what they want to hear. It is even more pathetic when mods derail threads devoted to discussing technical specifications of Intel products with posts about finantial data for AMD. I complain about AT independently if it was IntelTech and has now transformed into AMDTECH, because my interest is on technology.

The problem with supporting whoever is making the best stuff is that you sound like a fanboi when the same companies stay on top for a while, you know, to the actual fanbois.

It's kind of sad really.

With respect to the 8700k and what it brings, I agree, I'm interested in the technology. In my case for gaming; anything else I do or would do for the foreseeable future isn't time critical and won't exactly be 'slow' on my current 6700k regardless. An 8700k would likely be the largest leap I could take, assuming that I don't wait for 10nm and AMD doesn't close the gap in both IPC and clockspeeds without resorting to room cooking actual TDPs.

This launch has made me realize what a great investment the 5820K would've been.
6C CPU mostly capable of 4.6~4.7 GHz, the first (?) DDR4 high end platform. It would've cost an extra $100-$200 over Coffee Lake but you would've had it a little over 3 years ahead of time. Also, soldered, and actually better than it's replacement 2 YEARS later (6800K).

The problem with supporting whoever is making the best stuff is that you sound like a fanboi when the same companies stay on top for a while, you know, to the actual fanbois.

It's kind of sad really.

With respect to the 8700k and what it brings, I agree, I'm interested in the technology. In my case for gaming; anything else I do or would do for the foreseeable future isn't time critical and won't exactly be 'slow' on my current 6700k regardless. An 8700k would likely be the largest leap I could take, assuming that I don't wait for 10nm and AMD doesn't close the gap in both IPC and clockspeeds without resorting to room cooking actual TDPs.

There is a big difference between fanboys of botch camps. When I refuted the fake news about DevilsCanyon doing 5GHz on air, absolutely no Intel fanboys attacked me, because they knew the claim was bogus. When I refuted the fake news about RyZen doing 5GHz on air, virtually any AMD fanboy attacked me. Because in their head I was defending Intel, when in reality I was merely stating a technical fact: that 5GHZ on air was not possible for 14LPP.

From a technical point of view the CoffeeLake line is a very nice improvement. We will see the new i3 beating several of the older i7 models still in use.

Nice to see the launch confirmed. Now we just need word on backwards compatibility.

as much as we want that i dont think its possible, with intel's level of greed lol. well mobo OEMs in the past have gone and refute intel on those part so may see some specific mobo possible, technically it is the same socket so shouldnt not be backward compatible.

some of the intel fanbois are beyond retarded, especially the ones on wccftech. same goes for some amd fanboys.

There is a big difference between fanboys of botch camps. When I refuted the fake news about DevilsCanyon doing 5GHz on air, absolutely no Intel fanboys attacked me, because they knew the claim was bogus. When I refuted the fake news about RyZen doing 5GHz on air, virtually any AMD fanboy attacked me. Because in their head I was defending Intel, when in reality I was merely stating a technical fact: that 5GHZ on air was not possible for 14LPP.

From a technical point of view the CoffeeLake line is a very nice improvement. We will see the new i3 beating several of the older i7 models still in use.

this is what im experiencing in notebookreview forum as well. people defending AMD left and right and bring up barely relevant facts like pricing and intel anti-competitiveness when im talking strictly about performance.

btw, anyone know what the iGPU specs are? better than the 7700k?

So what's this 2nd Gen Optane support stuff about? What / when is 2nd Gen Optane? Vaporware Optane? Any chance it'll debut alongside CFL?

btw, anyone know what the iGPU specs are? better than the 7700k?

No expected significant changes. Probably higher sustained clock speeds due to the process which likely isn't relevant for high TDP desktop SKUs.

So what's this 2nd Gen Optane support stuff about? What / when is 2nd Gen Optane? Vaporware Optane? Any chance it'll debut alongside CFL?

If there is anything new specifically with the platform t might likely be something to do with Intel RST Cache being updated. Optane cache would be a much more interesting proposition for enthusiasts if it could be used a cache for the non system drive or even better preferably not drive specific. So this would benefit 1 SSD + HDD setups.

i think its just optane, intel wanted to make it sound better rofl.

This launch has made me realize what a great investment the 5820K would've been.
6C CPU mostly capable of 4.6~4.7 GHz, the first (?) DDR4 high end platform. It would've cost an extra $100-$200 over Coffee Lake but you would've had it a little over 3 years ahead of time. Also, soldered, and actually better than it's replacement 2 YEARS later (6800K).
Agreed. That was pretty much the only thing since the 2600k that got me keen to even consider a new rig.

Now I'm just going for a 6-8c ryzen hold me over till zen2. Then I can have my core cake and eat it with 4-5Ghz zen clocks. Not going to bother with TR this time around, unless a big contract comes through lol.

Oooh man I really want Optane, but a little hard to justify at this point. I'm excited for the next iteration. If they handle it right, it could be a very viable offering.

Optane is out if you can afford it. Its just updated firmware etc on controllers.

Well, I'm waiting till 21st, hoping that launch will be accompanied by reviews, and not have to wait another few weeks for proper [H] review. :)

Need a new build quite fast, as my z97 died and I'm right now on my business laptop. Can do home office from it, but no gaming.

I want to see, how fast is the 8700K and what's the real price in EU. If it's a monster, like expected, I'll get it, but if it's just 7700k speed, I'll go with 1600, and yes - I know it will be slower, but for the price of 8700k I will get board and CPU :) But it's all about the speed. After all in 1440p with 1080 ti, there isn't right now much difference between CPUs, so Intel will have to convince me hard to pay extra. On the other hand no RAM issues, no crashes and no issues with BIOS and overclockong that I read about while trying to determine my x370, is a good point to pay extra for hassle free system.

Oh, and as far as longevity is concerned, my z97 was running from day one of 4790k :) Also I don't get the "but AM4 will be enough till 2020" - we may see some crazy tech in few years, so getting new mobo to have it will still be mandatory :)

8700K wont be much faster in 1-4 threads.

If we ignore any benefit the 12MB cache may have over 8. It will be 0-10%.

1 core 4.5Ghz vs 4.7Ghz.
2 cores 4.2Ghz vs 4.6Ghz.
4 cores 4.2Ghz vs 4.4Ghz.

At 6 cores however you get 4.3Ghz.

Back