Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
$359~379 there abouts for Intel 8700K is almost a given in comparison to 7800X 6C/12T @ $389 and taking into account Intel's history of release pricing of its x700K SKU for the last generations as well as being part of the performance/desktop segment. I'm personally highly suprised if it's much different than that.

Coffee Lake will be the trumpf card for the typical not so rich PC gamer/casual computer enthusiast in terms of bang-for-buck, would be stupid to price it too high now and hamper its right now what should become their easiest selling CPU now that AMD has stepped up, I don't expect X299 to get that high adoption and a lot of Haswell, Ivy or older etc users are either considering or have picked a Ryzen build, Coffee Lake will offer a natural upgrade path for them on the Intel side that's not silly priced or rushed with compromises like X299 platform but also offer "decent" threaded performance from 6C/12T. Looking at where threaded useability is good as of today, it's roughly 6~8 cores maximum, beyond that it will be rather specific/limited useage cases for majority of people.

Last edited:
So if we have a use-case for a PC that doesn't have any multithreaded apps (or at least apps that don't multithread well(certainly not across 6C/12T)) and have more of a need for sheer clock speed vs core count, I wonder if a 7700K is the way to go. In fact, I wonder if some might want to grab a 7700K while they can. 5Ghz on air x 4 cores plus HT is nothing to sneeze at if that's the workload you have.
An 8700K might actually offer less performance (per core) than the 7700K. How will Turbo Boost 3 overclock? Any way to have individual cores bust through and surpass 5.0GHz?

If there's no new instructions or DRM / 4K compatibility enhancements or motherboard features or additional lanes or IPC gains or...

Guess we'll have to wait and see..

So if we have a use-case for a PC that doesn't have any multithreaded apps (or at least apps that don't multithread well(certainly not across 6C/12T)) and have more of a need for sheer clock speed vs core count, I wonder if a 7700K is the way to go. In fact, I wonder if some might want to grab a 7700K while they can. 5Ghz on air x 4 cores plus HT is nothing to sneeze at if that's the workload you have.
An 8700K might actually offer less performance (per core) than the 7700K. How will Turbo Boost 3 overclock? Any way to have individual cores bust through and surpass 5.0GHz?

If there's no new instructions or DRM / 4K compatibility enhancements or motherboard features or additional lanes or IPC gains or...

Guess we'll have to wait and see..

My primary purpose of my new build is gaming so you're describing my use case. What's holding me back is the upgrade path. It's tough to buy into a zX70 board + 8700/7700k knowing that there really isn't much else. Then the sensible me says, well this is a mature platform that realistically should last me 3-5 years.... Then ryzen jumps into the conversation, "just get a 1600/1700, be happy and see what comes to the AM4 socket in 2 years".

The only hard part about investing in AMD is the question that always lingers- they get close with clockspeed and IPC, but just don't go all the way. Will they catch up? And will they do it without having to resort to drastic TDP's?

If your focus is gaming, I don't expect more than 6C12T to even be particularly useful. That's right about where the limit seems to be, and few games are targeting more than that. Maybe that trend will change and single-core performance won't matter as much as just having the execution resources available, and it will inevitably have to change as computing runs into a wall, but that day isn't today.

The only hard part about investing in AMD is the question that always lingers- they get close with clockspeed and IPC, but just don't go all the way. Will they catch up? And will they do it without having to resort to drastic TDP's?

If your focus is gaming, I don't expect more than 6C12T to even be particularly useful. That's right about where the limit seems to be, and few games are targeting more than that. Maybe that trend will change and single-core performance won't matter as much as just having the execution resources available, and it will inevitably have to change as computing runs into a wall, but that day isn't today.

I feel like the day where having more cores will matter is definitely sooner rather than later now that >4 cores is going into the mainstream CPU lineup (likely thanks to Ryzen). Devs had no real reason to make things take advantage of more than 4ish threads because 99% of the market didn't have more than a quad-core, many of which were likely single threaded i5s as well. It'll still probably be a few years off, but I can definitely see all the extra cores people will have being used to improve performance now.

The only thing that would push me to a higher core count chip is if there were noticeable gains in gaming performance. Hopefully game developers with the release of R5 and R7 as well as upcoming 8700 will begin developing for more cores/threads.

The only thing that would push me to a higher core count chip is if there were noticeable gains in gaming performance. Hopefully game developers with the release of R5 and R7 as well as upcoming 8700 will begin developing for more cores/threads.

Game developers have had access to 8-core consoles for years, the reason why not every game scales to ten threads is because, in general, games don't scale up.

I have a feeling the only way we're going to see great scaling if the graphics API, be it DirectX or Vulkan or OpenGL or whatever would have built-in standards to do certain tasks multithreaded so the game developer doesn't specifically have to optimize the game for multithreaded scenarios, the graphics API would do it automatically for them. Obviously this approach would never work perfect due overhelming many configurations and various graphics engines but even if we could add this way say a 40% dual core, 30% 4-core 20% 6-core, 15% 8-core CPU performance boost (totally made up values) only by coding according to the API multithreaded standards, that alone would be a great start and greatly expand the games multithreaded CPU perfomance advantage. Currently I suppose only certain AAA "bleeding edge" graphics studios seems it worthwile spending extra time to code for a minority amount of configurations to bring that marketing advantage/eyes on them.

There is only so many things that benefit from multithreaded scenarios too I guess without GPU becoming the primary limiting factor, AI would be one good example where CPU performance does matter.

Last edited:
Games consist on one or two main threads. Parallelizing the rendering only improves performance within the limits of Amdahl's law.

Sony gave to game developers the option of a console with up to 16 cores. Game developers rejected anything above 8-cores.

Well, as much as I wanted to go Coffee Lake for my next build, I'll have to hold off a few generations. My son bought me a 7700K for my birthday (Thursday). That, and 16GB of good RAM. I just need a motherboard and a GPU and I'm back up to kicking some major ass in games again!

I'm shocked my son bought those for me. I was telling him about Coffee Lake and he started getting jumpy about it. Then, he had to show me what he bought for me. That's why he was jumpy. :) My upgrade is coming much sooner than expected! :) WHOO HOO!

I still would love a higher core/thread CPU, but it really doesn't matter. Coming from an old CPU to a 6C/12T CPU would be amazing. Going from a 7700K to a 8700K? Not so much at all. I'm happy. Very happy. :)

Can't wait for Coffee lake to happen, all these high core ryzens make me so tempted to get a high core system ( i don't need it at all )

Can't really afford to change mobo/ram/cpu but a 450$ CAD 6 -core isn't too bad if it fits in my z170

Well, as much as I wanted to go Coffee Lake for my next build, I'll have to hold off a few generations. My son bought me a 7700K for my birthday (Thursday). That, and 16GB of good RAM. I just need a motherboard and a GPU and I'm back up to kicking some major ass in games again!

I'm shocked my son bought those for me. I was telling him about Coffee Lake and he started getting jumpy about it. Then, he had to show me what he bought for me. That's why he was jumpy. :) My upgrade is coming much sooner than expected! :) WHOO HOO!

I still would love a higher core/thread CPU, but it really doesn't matter. Coming from an old CPU to a 6C/12T CPU would be amazing. Going from a 7700K to a 8700K? Not so much at all. I'm happy. Very happy. :)

Nice! My brother is wanting to upgrade from his Ivy Bridge i5, and I've convinced him to wait a few months for Coffee Lake before he does anything. He's only in it for games, so a 7700k would be a pretty nice jump for him, but I figure worst case scenario, he can probably get one for a bit cheaper after CL drops. Best case, he'd be getting some extra cores for hopefully about what a 7700k costs now.

You are clearly an outstanding father. :D

Or more like $500 if a "Z370" chipset is required. XD

Hey Shintai, you seem like a guy in the know. Could I expect to to see 7700K prices on promo anywhere with CFL's launch?

As such no, but there may be some cases since its up to the retailer themselves. Same with Microcenter prices regularly for example. The products dont get discounted. They get EOL and replaced.

That's the cpu, not the chipset
There are two chipsets.
You can't launch a CPU without a chipset since old chipsets, Z270 in this case, won't work without a bios update. You can't sell mobo+CPU combos that don't work together out of the box.

Z370 will launch with Coffee Lake CPUs and Z390 will come in Q1. The other option is that the entire launch was delayed to Q4~Q1, which is unsubstantiated (debunked, mostly). The last credible rumor was "August - September 2017".

There are two chipsets.
You can't launch a CPU without a chipset since old chipsets, Z270 in this case, won't work without a bios update. You can't sell mobo+CPU combos that don't work together out of the box.

Z370 will launch with Coffee Lake CPUs and Z390 will come in Q1. The other option is that the entire launch was delayed to Q4~Q1, which is unsubstantiated (debunked, mostly). The last credible rumor was "August - September 2017".

There is at least 1, if not 2 articles, claiming the z370 will be delayed until Q4.
I realise that implies the 8700k doesn't have a chipset if it launches in August, it might also imply, the 8700k is announced in late August, for Oct release, 5 weeks later? Regardless those rumours are about the 370, not the 390.

There is at least 1, if not 2 articles, claiming the z370 will be delayed until Q4.
I realise that implies the 8700k doesn't have a chipset if it launches in August, it might also imply, the 8700k is announced in late August, for Oct release, 5 weeks later? Regardless those rumours are about the 370, not the 390.

Do they provide proper documentation or is it just....I heard from a random person on a random forum? ;)

Named Z370 boards from Supermicro for example have leaked on Sandra long ago.

Delaying Z370 doesn't make sense either, since Z370 is Z270. There is 0 change. And Z390 and all the other real 300 series chipsets comes in Q1.

As such no, but there may be some cases since its up to the retailer themselves. Same with Microcenter prices regularly for example. The products dont get discounted. They get EOL and replaced.

Yeah,
good example try to find a cheap 6950X or 6900K from a reliable/reputable source, Intel is also very resistent to having retailers reduce the price significiantly.
Cheers

IMHO Core i5-8400 has the potential to become the gamer's choice for mainstream builds if it can sustain 3.8-4.0 GHz during CPU-intensive games. Hardware.fr puts (regular) Skylake cores at ~20% faster per clock than Zen in CPU-intensive titles at 1080p, so even when OCed Ryzen 5 1600 would be slower. We have yet to see the price of the MBs, but it wouldn't surprise me if Core i5-8400 ends up cheaper than a 6C Ryzen as well, at $180-190.

I'm surprised so many websites are trying to put expensive productivity oriented Skylake-X models into questionable (often GPU-bound) comparisons instead of focusing on the products that most gamers will actually buy and are looking for.

IMHO Core i5-8400 has the potential to become the gamer's choice for mainstream builds if it can sustain 3.8-4.0 GHz during CPU-intensive games. Hardware.fr puts (regular) Skylake cores at ~20% faster per clock than Zen in CPU-intensive titles at 1080p, so even when OCed Ryzen 5 1600 would be slower. We have yet to see the price of the MBs, but it wouldn't surprise me if Core i5-8400 ends up cheaper than a 6C Ryzen as well, at $180-190.

I'm surprised so many websites are trying to put expensive productivity oriented Skylake-X models into questionable (often GPU-bound) comparisons instead of focusing on the products that most gamers will actually buy and are looking for.

Yep, 20% per clock and 25% clock speed advantage. And we are to believe they are "equal" :D

8700K will be the gamer king, and I agree the 8400 looks like the budget gamers choice.

Welp, no Coffee Lake for me. Time to start shopping for that 7700k... XD

I would wait if I was you. First of all its an ASRock customer support person, not an engineer. Also mobo makers may choose or not choose to make BIOSes for CFL if its supported.

We know for a fact that CFL supports IMVP8 so it can work with 100 and 200 series chipsets. And that Z370 is a rebranded Z270 with zero changes.

I would wait if I was you. First of all its an ASRock customer support person, not an engineer. Also mobo makers may choose or not choose to make BIOSes for CFL if its supported.

We know for a fact that CFL supports IMVP8 so it can work with 100 and 200 series chipsets. And that Z370 is a rebranded Z270 with zero changes.
Yeah, it's not like I've got long to wait.

Do you think the 200 series motherboard will support Coffee Lake-s?

I'm wondering what the Wattage will be on the 6 core if you can still air cool the chip.

All the information is already in the thread. Its a 95W part. 4.3Ghz all core turbo4.4Ghz 4 core turbo, 4.6Ghz 2 core turbo and 4.7Ghz single core turbo.

Let me post you the proper information with SKUs. because the one you linked to is...wrong.

3VwfB5q.jpg

D47AYP3.jpg

Do they provide proper documentation or is it just....I heard from a random person on a random forum? ;)

Named Z370 boards from Supermicro for example have leaked on Sandra long ago.

Delaying Z370 doesn't make sense either, since Z370 is Z270. There is 0 change. And Z390 and all the other real 300 series chipsets comes in Q1.
It's always a "heard from a person a random forum" like the dude who posts on HardOCP and Anandtech and keeps getting his stuff posted all across the internet......

It's always a "heard from a person a random forum" like the dude who posts on HardOCP and Anandtech and keeps getting his stuff posted all across the internet......

So your posts about a delay is unfounded so far.

Double standards. When RyZen 1800X was 20--25% behind Broadwell-E or Kabylake on games, the excuse was that it was "mostly a workstation CPU that also played games". Now that SKL-X beats RyZen on workstation applications and is only 8% behind Kabylake on games, the same people claims that SKL-X is a fail. No one of them claim that SKL-X is a workstation CPU that also play games better than RyZen.

Back