Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I saw an article today implying the Z3xx chipset coming in August is a shitty Z270 rebrand and the good version of the Z3xx will come out next year with the rest of coffee lake, including the USB 3.1 Gen 2 support.

Correct. the real deal is the Z390, not Z370.

Oh gawd, that sucks if true. Then backwards compatibility support should be a given decision on current mobos, otherwise it'll make them look too greedy and it'll hit their image more than it's worth delaying new chipset features to next year. I'm sure even Intel can see that.

Edi: already posted by sweeper.

This was a 3.2ghz clocked 6 core. Could be several 6 core options. No doubt only the highest SKU will be unlocked. Intel will have a tough time matching the platform cost (cpu & mb) of a locked 6-core against the 1600x/1500. The unlocked version wouldn't really have any competition if it can hit even 4.5 ghz.

Intel will have a tough time matching the platform cost (cpu & mb) of a locked 6-core against the 1600x/1500

The locked version maybe. The unlocked version is intended to match up against the Ryzen 7 CPUs. I would expect when the mainstream 6C /12T i7 is released AMD will have to lower the price of the 1800X.

So.....with my current setup with a 3770k at 4.4-4.6, I guess since my rig is solely used for gaming, I should just hold off until next year for coffee and not go for a sky lake X chip? My 3770K seems to work fine with my 1080 Ti's in SLI and I game at 4K on a Samsung JS9000. Just like everyone else though, I have that huge upgrade itch as I have been rolling with my trusty 3770K overclocked 24/7 since 2011! I hope that Intel doesn't gimp these coffee lake CPU's though like they did with the lower mainstream sky lake x sku's....

So.....with my current setup with a 3770k at 4.4-4.6, I guess since my rig is solely used for gaming, I should just hold off until next year for coffee and not go for a sky lake X chip? My 3770K seems to work fine with my 1080 Ti's in SLI and I game at 4K on a Samsung JS9000. Just like everyone else though, I have that huge upgrade itch as I have been rolling with my trusty 3770K overclocked 24/7 since 2011! I hope that Intel doesn't gimp these coffee lake CPU's though like they did with the lower mainstream sky lake x sku's....

I'm in the same boat, 3770k @ 4.5, 1080, asus PG279Q. have the itch to upgrade CPU too. Was eyeing a 7820x, but decided I can wait to see what coffee lake brings to the table. I'm pretty satisfied with my current set up. Wish I had waited for 1080 ti as my 1080 does well (boosts to 2000mhz) but would be nice to play BF1 on high/ultra and get 120+fps. Probably better to wait for the next round of xx80ti cards.

looking forward to seeing what y'all who bought skylake-x think.

I'm in the same boat, 3770k @ 4.5, 1080, asus PG279Q. have the itch to upgrade CPU too. Was eyeing a 7820x, but decided I can wait to see what coffee lake brings to the table. I'm pretty satisfied with my current set up. Wish I had waited for 1080 ti as my 1080 does well (boosts to 2000mhz) but would be nice to play BF1 on high/ultra and get 120+fps. Probably better to wait for the next round of xx80ti cards.

looking forward to seeing what y'all who bought skylake-x think.

Well that makes 3 of us. Itching to go upgrade.

CFL-S is a August release. And the entire point of Z370 is to have a "refresh" for mobo makers and OEMs.

They can't release CFL-S without Z370 though right? Seems hard to believe they will support Z270.

They can't release CFL-S without Z370 though right? Seems hard to believe they will support Z270.
Yeah that's the idea, thought it was obvious.
Z370 in Q4 = Coffee Lake in Q4.

It's just one rumor though. Intel themselves show CFL-S+Z370 in August/Sept.

I really wonder if an August release is still even remotely logical to expect if the new chipset doesn't come at that time, it would be quite an exception if Intel would still release it anyway for current Z270 chipset, I would have absolutely no problem with that personally as the Z370 is pretty much the same but can one really expect that to happen though, sounds very unlikely. I'm sure Intel wants the processors out for August launch but to go ahead and launch it without a new chipset still seems very far-fetched.

I know I will have a hard time waiting for end of the year, that's for sure. Even AMD Threadripper would become an option to consider for me (despite I don't expect to see much im terms of IPC improvement where I'd still want AMD to improve as well as clock frequencies) since emulators that I occasionally use need the fastest IPC + clock frequency they can get as they are typically not very multithreaded whatsoever. Also the Intel highend platform has never been interesting for me as I'm the bang-for-buck seeker and X99 and the new platform will never fit that description.

Last edited:
Assuming they are backwards compatible, Z270 would probably need a bios update. Intel won't launch a new CPU series that requires a bios update for all existing mobos to work properly.
Z370 being delayed means the CPUs are delayed. Why would they need to delay the 3rd rebrand of a chipset?

Assuming they are backwards compatible, Z270 would probably need a bios update. Intel won't launch a new CPU series that requires a bios update for all existing mobos to work properly.
If Z370 is delayed, CPUs are delayed too. Why would they need to delay the 3rd rebrand of a chipset, anyway?

Yea that's what I was thinking too. Shintai still seems to think otherwise though... :p

Z370 being delayed means the CPUs are delayed. Why would they need to delay the 3rd rebrand of a chipset?
Its not a 3rd rebrand.

Z170-vs-Z270-2.jpg

Never fully understood that.
So where are those 8x extra PCIe lanes? In the PCH? ISn't the PCH DMI 3.0 and the same speed as 4x?

8? Do you mean 4 extra? It comes from the PCH and it's just shared on the DMI 3.0. It´s no different than how PLX chips for example work or any other chipset.

8? Do you mean 4 extra? It comes from the PCH and it's just shared on the DMI 3.0. It´s no different than how PLX chips for example work or any other chipset.
z270 has 24 while z170 has 20. 16 from CPU and 8 from PCH?

Intel really needs to break those charts down better.

I would love 24 from the CPU :/

3x8 or 1x 16 2x4 would be grand for mainstream :/ but i assume it is 8 from PCH?

This is a useful set diagram and especially chart:

r_600x450.png

HSIO.JPG

Cheers
so 16x CPU and 24x PCH? But there isn't enough bandiwdth correct? There is only 4 or 8x BW in DMI 3.0?

has anyone compared the latency yet of CPU vs PCH?

so 16x CPU and 24x PCH? But there isn't enough bandiwdth correct? There is only 4 or 8x BW in DMI 3.0?

has anyone compared the latency yet of CPU vs PCH?

Latency isn't the issue, its around 100-125ns added like with PLX chips.

Shared bandwidth isn't the issue for the parts you tend to place there.

Latency isn't the issue, its around 100-125ns added like with PLX chips.

Shared bandwidth isn't the issue for the parts you tend to place there.
again making up a number that you have zero proof of....stop spreading bad information.

putting 2 NVMe drives would clog it, 10GbE, HBMs, and plenty of other things would clog DMI 3.0 If it still is only 3GBps

again making up a number that you have zero proof of....stop spreading bad information.

putting 2 NVMe drives would clog it, 10GbE, HBMs, and plenty of other things would clog DMI 3.0 If it still is only 3GBps

You can lookup PLX chips, that's their latency. If you think its somehow different with PCH chips that you dont seem to understand, prove it. PLX chips have been used for a real long time in all segments.

Example of one of the most used for gaming boards:
https://www.broadcom.com/products/pcie-switches-bridges/pcie-switches/pex8747#specifications

Yes, you can saturate it bandwidth wise if you want. But that doesn't mean its useless by any means.

DMI 3.0 is ~4GB/sec. So you would need to pull 3GB/sec on the NVME drives while more or less saturating the 10Gbit. All in one direction as well.

Last edited:
You can lookup PLX chips, that's their latency. If you think its somehow different with PCH chips that you dont seem to understand, prove it. PLX chips have been used for a real long time in all segments.

Example of one of the most used for gaming boards:
https://www.broadcom.com/products/pcie-switches-bridges/pcie-switches/pex8747#specifications

Yes, you can saturate it bandwidth wise if you want. But that doesn't mean its useless by any means.

DMI 3.0 is ~4GB/sec. So you would need to pull 3GB/sec on the NVME drives while more or less saturating the 10Gbit. All in one direction as well.
as i have stated mutliple times...and keep getting banned for calling you out for it.

You are making a massive assumption.

Memory channel vs PCIe both have massive differences in latency due to distance and how it connects to the CPU. Thanks to intel we know exactly the difference is in regards to Optane.

PCH connects to the CPU differently and could very well have different latency than a simple PCIe+PLX chip latency due to it connects to the CPU differently.

Find me someone testing Optane in PCH vs PCIe and show me there is only 100ns difference.

Your pulling this out of your butt again.

waiting to get banned again for calling you out on spewing unfounded info........

as i have stated mutliple times...and keep getting banned for calling you out for it.

You are making a massive assumption.

Memory channel vs PCIe both have massive differences in latency due to distance and how it connects to the CPU. Thanks to intel we know exactly the difference is in regards to Optane.

PCH connects to the CPU differently and could very well have different latency than a simple PCIe+PLX chip latency due to it connects to the CPU differently.

Find me someone testing Optane in PCH vs PCIe and show me there is only 100ns difference.

Your pulling this out of your butt again.

waiting to get banned again for calling you out on spewing unfounded info........

I dont get all the fuss you make out of it. The PCH in terms of PCIe is nothing but a PCIe switch. Also its connected the exact same way. DMI 3.0 is PCIe 3.0 x4 (Lane 16 to 19 on the CPU).

You even got a PLX chip shown with exact latency added for the switching.

If you think its different, then feel free to prove it. It cant be that hard for you if you are so sure its wrong. Because then it must be because you know otherwise.

Last edited:
I dont get all the fuss you make out of it. The PCH in terms of PCIe is nothing but a PCIe switch. Also its connected the exact same way. DMI 3.0 is PCIe 3.0 x4 (Lane 16 to 19 on the CPU).

You even got a PLX chip shown with exact latency added for the switching.

If you think its different, then feel free to prove it. It cant be that hard for you if you are so sure its wrong. Because then it must be because you know otherwise.
buy me an optane drive and i'll test it.....

additionally, I dont need to prove anything. Find a source that has tested intels PCH or stop spreading bad info.

Any intel testing showing latency?

If not what your saying is pure conjecture.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for an i5-8600K Hex-core that clocks like the Kabies do.

...and, as if that's not wishing for too much, that it's LGA1151/Z270 compatible. XD

Last edited:
buy me an optane drive and i'll test it.....

additionally, I dont need to prove anything. Find a source that has tested intels PCH or stop spreading bad info.

Any intel testing showing latency?

If not what your saying is pure conjecture.

You also need to appreciate AMD with Zen/Ryzen uses heck of a lot of switching/contention between various channels/functions and PCIe.
I linked a nice diagram showing this in the past but will take time to find it.
Cheers

Yes it is. You can also find CFL tested on 2 platforms. Kaby Lake and Cannon Lake.

Not that I wish you ill will, but no idea why 2 people liked your post, if anything, it's terrible news.
So what's the diff?
Is z370 v1 the one with wifi and usb 3.1 gen 2 or what?
what will z370 v2 have different?
ugh ugh ugh intel, just UGH

EDIT:,............

Z370 is nothing but a rebranded Z270. Its the exact same silicon. So chipset wise its not the issue. If anything it would be socket design.
Are you suggesting that z370 v1 does NOT contain the rumored wifi module?

Edi: already posted by sweeper.

This was a 3.2ghz clocked 6 core. Could be several 6 core options. No doubt only the highest SKU will be unlocked. Intel will have a tough time matching the platform cost (cpu & mb) of a locked 6-core against the 1600x/1500. The unlocked version wouldn't really have any competition if it can hit even 4.5 ghz.
Agreed, a 4.5ghz CFL-S / K would be just a ridiculous good CPU - probaby g
oing to put out serious heat though

Back