Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have posted it before, but seems it could use a reporting. 300 series as said gets WiFi integrated. Next step is Thunderbolt/USB-C(Icelake?) onto the CPU. Assume mainstream platform only.

7p6p9iwx.png

What many people are wondering is whether Coffee Lake-S is compatible with the existing Z270 and Z170. If not, I will buy the 7800X.

Given Nvidia's fuckery with SLI of late, I have a harder time being persuaded by available lanes than I did 4+ years ago. It's why I went with a single 1080 Ti. Looks like we're at the point where we ought to look more at chipsets and features than just cores, clocks, cache and PCIe lanes.

What many people are wondering is whether Coffee Lake-S is compatible with the existing Z270 and Z170. If not, I will buy the 7800X.

The latest I have heard is its not. Its forward compatibility, not backwards. But we will first know for sure later.

Really ?! I'm very excited. I will trust your words.

Just to make it clear, by that I mean SKL/KBL will work in 300 series. But CFL only in 300 series.

Anyway, time will tell.

I'm curious if the leaks have been all making gaping assumptions about Coffee Lake S (Desktop)
Could it be the mobile chips are just moved forward to August and Desktop is still later?

I'm curious if the leaks have been all making gaping assumptions about Coffee Lake S (Desktop)
Could it be the mobile chips are just moved forward to August and Desktop is still later?

Mobile is called CFL-H. Its quite clear CFL-S comes in august.

Intel is showing off 4C/8T mobile CFL too tho, with 4Ghz turbo and 15W. (10nm Cannonlake will be 2C/4T).

then is there any reliable source confirming that it only work on z370 LGA1151 and not older platforms

It's Intel we're talking about, it won't be backwards compatible.
People were trying to run Kaby Lakes on Z170 boards because they were allegedely supported, and they started running into all sorts of problems.

Even if it's the same socket it will only work on the new chipset.

It's Intel we're talking about, it won't be backwards compatible.
People were trying to run Kaby Lakes on Z170 boards because they were allegedely supported, and they started running into all sorts of problems.

Even if it's the same socket it will only work on the new chipset.

KBL is fully supported on the 100 series. You have to talk to the mobo maker if you had any issues.

Potentially exciting times in the CPU space again and really thanks to AMD.

Recently I purchased a x370 carbon and R5 1600 but because of memory issues and a couple wonky bios issues I was having, so my plans and intentions were to take back and swap for a Tachi or Fatality gaming Pro x370 and 1700x. Instead I sold on CL for about a $40 loss... now wait for x299 or z370 before making a decision. Very well still may go Ryzen.

Potentially exciting times in the CPU space again and really thanks to AMD.

CFL die size etc was known long before Ryzen. Its a product you get, AMD or not. And AMD had 8 cores for mainstream since 2011.

If it's supported I'll definitely be buying the 6c/12t. If not I'll probably be holding off for a few years. If I had to wager money on it, I'd guess no. Having 3 CPU generations in a row work on the same chipset would be very, very un-Intel like.

I wonder if the 10nm desktop chips come out in 2018 any time. That might be the only thing that makes me regret a coffee purchase. I mean yeah, it's going to come out entirely, but the coffee lake chips are the first real increase in a long long time of anything substantial.

I am weirdly hoping that the 10nm shrink continues to be delayed and troublesome, making my purchase feel more justified in September.

I wonder if the 10nm desktop chips come out in 2018 any time. That might be the only thing that makes me regret a coffee purchase. I mean yeah, it's going to come out entirely, but the coffee lake chips are the first real increase in a long long time of anything substantial.

I am weirdly hoping that the 10nm shrink continues to be delayed and troublesome, making my purchase feel more justified in September.

10nm+ Icelake for desktop is expected in 2018. But think of late 2018 rather than early.

About WCCFTech's 'rumors' of Coffee Lake being delayed to 2018. The original article from WinFuture.de only provides info about mobile products and a 65W 'S' part (and speculates about the rest), saying Kaby Lake Refresh comes in September and Gemini Lake in late 2017. Basically nothing new because it was already known that mobile Coffee Lake was a Q1-2018 product. To clear up any confusion, the only parts launching in August are unlocked 65W/95W 4C/6C desktop models + Z370 chipset, everything else including traditional locked 65W desktop models, mobile variants (U, H), Xeon E3 and new chipsets will only be available next year. This is the latest roadmap from Intel itself pre-Computex:

a6118c7bd8ecd37035eee5e996127a08.jpg

And here's an article from DigiTimes published today:

DigiTimes said:
ASMedia's revenues will move upward along with the release of Intel X299 series chips in June, AMD X399 series chips is July as well as Intel Coffee Lake CPUs, and Z370 chips in August, Lin noted.

ASMedia has begun developing USB 3.2 controller chips in order to cope with Intel's planned release of 300 series chipsets and expects to roll out USB 3.2 host controller and device controller chips in 2018, Lin revealed.

That was a clickbait article too with no merit in reality.
I made a post about it on Reddit.

Those appear to be the locked/mobile chips. Coffee Lake-S is actually listed twice on the Partner's roadmap above (August and January). Further evidenced by the mention of "Z370" in August vs "300-Series chipset" in January, and the addition 35W chips into Q1.

So the '8700K' and '8600K' (possibly more) will be released Aug~Sept and the rest of the line-up in Q1. I suspect the i7 will be 6C/12T and the i5 will be 4C/8T. The roadmap specifically mentions both 6C and 4C so Intel is going to have to adjust their line-up a bit.

And again to get 44 PCIe you have to pay $999, no thanks. For people with SLI and Crossfire plus additional cards new 6 and 8 core do not give enough PCIe. Having said that, i recommend to skip this Intel generation and a new socket thing is just bullshit. There was no reason to go from 2011 to 2066. I bet you that new CPU will perform slower than Broadwell, because L2/L3 cache setup on new CPU is going to be a problem.

My money goes to AMD which will have everything Intel lacks.

I bet you that new CPU will perform slower than Broadwell, because L2/L3 cache setup on new CPU is going to be a problem.

My money goes to AMD which will have everything Intel lacks.

I feel there's about a 0% chance it performs worse than Broadwell-E. This post is about Coffee Lake anyway, and you seem to be talking about Skylake X.

I bet you that new CPU will perform slower than Broadwell, because L2/L3 cache setup on new CPU is going to be a problem.

SKL-SP completely trashes everything before it as in Nehalem style change. And you expect it to be different on the desktop with SKL-X?

I was set to go x299 but it looks like Intel really gimped the 7800k. Still waiting on reviews before I decide what to do. If coffee lake 6 core comes in faster than the 7800k and the platform is cheaper the only advantage i see for x299 is quad channel memory or if you actually need 8 plus cores. Thats overkill for me. This is why i was surprised to see coffee lake launching in August instead of January. It has the potential to make kabylake-x and the lower end 7800k irrelevant almost from launch.

I was set to go x299 but it looks like Intel really gimped the 7800k. Still waiting on reviews before I decide what to do. If coffee lake 6 core comes in faster than the 7800k and the platform is cheaper the only advantage i see for x299 is quad channel memory or if you actually need 8 plus cores. Thats overkill for me. This is why i was surprised to see coffee lake launching in August instead of January. It has the potential to make kabylake-x and the lower end 7800k irrelevant almost from launch.
The price difference is probably going to be $40, $350 vs $390. Plus the extra cost of X299 mobos.
Depending on how performance pans out, one of them will not have much of a reason to exist...

idk what's going on with kaby lake x. Even without coffee lake.

The price difference is probably going to be $40, $350 vs $390. Plus the extra cost of X299 mobos.
Depending on how performance pans out, one of them will not have much of a reason to exist...

idk what's going on with kaby lake x. Even without coffee lake.

If you figure that the cheaper x299 boards are still going to be roughly 75 dollars or more over a decent coffee lake board, plus another 100 bucks for 2 more sticks of ram and the higher cost of the skylake-x chip itself, the 7800k starts to look a lot less appealing.

Conflicting news, is it August / Sept or January.
It's only 12 weeks away for August, I imagine if it's coming out, it'll be on shelves in less than 16 weeks.

Hope to see more leaks and benchmarks in the coming couple of months.

Conflicting news, is it August / Sept or January.
It's only 12 weeks away for August, I imagine if it's coming out, it'll be on shelves in less than 16 weeks.

Hope to see more leaks and benchmarks in the coming couple of months.

Its august. There isn't any conflicting news. Just clickbaits and worse.

If you figure that the cheaper x299 boards are still going to be roughly 75 dollars or more over a decent coffee lake board, plus another 100 bucks for 2 more sticks of ram and the higher cost of the skylake-x chip itself, the 7800k starts to look a lot less appealing.
The difference between a dual kit and quad kit is maybe $20-$30. The cheapest 32GB kit on Pcpartpicker is quad at the moment.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=32768002,32768004&sort=price&page=1
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#sort=price&Z=16384002,16384004

But yeah the extra cost from CPU, Mobo, and RAM is about $150 for the 6C between the two platforms.
I would actually pay that difference for solder + X299 benefits in a heartbeat. Damnit Intel... :p

As it stands now you're better off saving the money and using it to buy a better heatsink + delid on Coffee Lake (4C and 6C only).

Last edited:
Jesus Christ Intel, could you make your slide any more confusing? Coffee lake release in Aug-Sep AND Jan. Which one is it?? Also, what the hell is a '300' series chipset. My best guess: Z-370 will work with Coffee/Kaby/Skylake 4 core and below and will be released soon. Z-170/270 will most likely be forward compatible. Another chipset (Z-375?) will be need for the 6-core parts with higher TDP - 1151v2 as some have called it.

300 series chipset just covers the family. Z370,H370, H310, Q370, Q350 and B350.

Plenty of information out on it already. Its made on the 14nm process as well.

intel-300-series-pch.jpg

7p6p9iwx.png

Either that, or the 1151v2 will be needed for higher clocked 6-cores since the slide DOES say 6 core for the z-370.

Shintai - I understand that, but just don't get why it is shown at Jan '18.

Either that, or the 1151v2 will be needed for higher clocked 6-cores since the slide DOES say 6 core for the z-370.

Shintai - I understand that, but just don't get why it is shown at Jan '18.

K models (maybe a couple of others too) and Z370 comes in August. The broader selection comes in January.

Ah, thanks. So there is hope for 6-core support on a C-236. Trying to make my SFF build a little more future proof. A 4-core coffeelake makes Kabylake-X seem even more pointless. "Why get Skylake 2.0 when you can get Skylake 3.0 in just 8-weeks" : p

Back