Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
$660 - Looks like the only ones not sold out are the top tier. $430 for a 5.3 Ghz 8600k is not that bad of a deal. Especially considering some people are really getting burned on those clocks after spending $300+.

yea the 5.3 isnt that bad, HT isnt an issue for me as it benefit little on some of the things i do, sadly i know I will need the extra L3 cache so had to go for 8700k. well even if there was one 5.3 8700k it'll be $1000 and i wouldnt buy that anyway, so 5.2 it is.

8600k for $229 or 8700k for $~380-$450. hmmm

I remember buying my 2500K awhile back and regretting not buying a 2600K or 2700K with hyperthreading.

i plan to get that 8700k and disable HT :)

8600K for $230 is a much better deal.

In the US, i have never seen it for this price. Always $300 or above. Even then, you risk getting a dud.
If clocks are your primary concern, the 7740x is always an option. Yeah, it has HT, but 5.2 Ghz is almost guaranteed and you have a pretty nice upgrade path to Cascade X.

Well, I finalllllly got my i7 8700K for my music/gaming computer. Got it on sale at MC for $379! The computer is mainly for music and I was having trouble with audio clicks/pops on CPU-intensive synth sounds before this. Now, they are but a distant memory because the 8700K is SEARING through audio tasks like a folkloric legend with my DAW set to multithreaded live FX processing mode.

Here's some pics from the destruction/reconstruction/testing. Fully stable overclocked to 5.0ghz My computer is flaming hot right now, but only figuratively, not literally. Goal acheived. The specs are hard to see but I'm hovering in the mid 30's~low 40's most of the time. It went up to a blazing 65C (cooler than the i3 I had in there before!) on a short Prime 95 test.

For some reason it runs cooler than the i3. I used Grizzly liquid metal Conductonaut and super glue to reseal on both delids. Weird. I'll take it!

Cheers guys.

MIDIBoss.

Attachments

• IMG_9135-1.JPG
    IMG_9135-1.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9136-1.JPG
    IMG_9136-1.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9137-1.JPG
    IMG_9137-1.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9138.JPG
    IMG_9138.JPG
    627.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9139-1.JPG
    IMG_9139-1.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 12
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok sure. I said $300 or above.

Microcenter just went on sale - and that is always in store only.
Amazon - $280 was the first I have seen this price and availibility.
Honestly the first I have heard of B & H - they look promising.
Newegg - you got me on the $1

Ok sure. I said $300 or above.

Microcenter just went on sale - and that is always in store only.
Amazon - $280 was the first I have seen this price and availibility.
Honestly the first I have heard of B & H - they look promising.
Newegg - you got me on the $1

And where are the 300 and above? Its not Best Buy either for example.

If the 8600k has been under $300 for any period of time, it comes to a real surprise that they only have 21 reviews on Amazon and 31 reviews on Newegg.
Compare that to the R5 1600x which has 139 reviews on Amazon and 107 on Newegg.

There is an even bigger gap between the 8400 and R5 1600.

Yes, the R5 has been out longer and reviews do not equal sales. However, the 8600k and 8400 are only #12 and #39 on the best seller list. Surely, they would sell more if they were available for the price promised.

I whopping 5 verified purchased reviews for the 8600k on amazon. Lol, something tells me this price and availability has not been around very long.
You are trying to be cheeky with me saying $300 instead of $299, but bottom line is, hardly anyone has bought this CPU for under $300, err $299 - sorry.

Why do you hate performance so?

thats cause the extra heat is not good in a laptop. the fan and heatsink is literally 1/3rd size of a desktop heatsink.

Better off clocking 200-300mhz higher than having HT right now. Thinking about doing it myself.

SL says 5.2ghz and HT only reduces heat, prob still stuck at 5.2 max. i donno i do feel HT makes thing faster from time to time but mostly just added extra 10-12C for a 4 core when overclocked, i could only think how much more temperature it'll add for a 6 core to enable HT.

I whopping 5 verified purchased reviews for the 8600k on amazon. Lol, something tells me this price and availability has not been around very long.
You are trying to be cheeky with me saying $300 instead of $299, but bottom line is, hardly anyone has bought this CPU for under $300, err $299 - sorry.

And your comment was what, above 300? Nice try.

If the 8600k has been under $300 for any period of time, it comes to a real surprise that they only have 21 reviews on Amazon and 31 reviews on Newegg.
Compare that to the R5 1600x which has 139 reviews on Amazon and 107 on Newegg.

The number of paid reviews only proves how desperate is certain brand.

At time of writing this, the 8600k is in position #12 of the Amazon best seller list. The 1600X is in position #17.

Yeah and the more common 1600 is #2 while the 8400 is.... #40.

Nice try Juangra - The 1600 has 206 VERIFIED reviews while the 1600x has 118 Verified reviews.

thats cause the extra heat is not good in a laptop. the fan and heatsink is literally 1/3rd size of a desktop heatsink.

SL says 5.2ghz and HT only reduces heat, prob still stuck at 5.2 max. i donno i do feel HT makes thing faster from time to time but mostly just added extra 10-12C for a 4 core when overclocked, i could only think how much more temperature it'll add for a 6 core to enable HT.

In a thermally constrained situation, HT is actually even better. Consider a pretty conservative assumption of 10% improvement from HT (typically higher than that, but this makes the next part easy to explain).
With that in mind, you'd get equivalent performance from 4.5 GHz HT-enabled and 5.0 GHz HT-disabled. The chip in the former case will run much cooler than the latter.

It is generally a poor tradeoff to get tiny bump in clockspeed but no HT. The exception is of course for strictly single-threaded workloads.

And do remember - HT is not adding much silicon (and heat) for itself. It is really just getting the existing cores to be active more often. That's the entire reason it was invented - we were seeing execution units sitting idle, which is performance left on the table.

The number of paid reviews only proves how desperate is certain brand.

At time of writing this, the 8600k is in position #12 of the Amazon best seller list. The 1600X is in position #17.

So after being proven wrong you change the chips.

It doesn't 'prove' anything. These Amazon best selling CPU lists are most likely the last month. You would expect the newer chips to do better. Still, AMD is selling more in the mid range at #2 and #17 than #12 and #40.

It doesn't 'prove' anything. These Amazon best selling CPU lists are most likely the last month. You would expect the newer chips to do better. Still, AMD is selling more in the mid range at #2 and #17 than #12 and #40.

Steam revealed that Ryzen is a huge sales flop and cant retain their base in any way. But again, Ryzen users doesn't game, right? Must be a reason why AMD is reporting a downturn for Q4.

On the other hand Intel is a great gaming CPU ;)

o77b2nqd9q001.png

Steam don't sell processors and when I had a Ryzen system it never asked me to do the hardware survey...

Cool story though

Steam don't sell processors and when I had a Ryzen system it never asked me to do the hardware survey...

Cool story though
When dealing with juangra and shintai it helps to have a shovel and some waders because it gets deep. ;)

Intel does make a good cpu, so does AMD. Is Intel faster and more FPS? Yes. For the most part will it make a difference? No. Not unless you need it for 120hz+.
Is AMD the better price to performance for the most part? Yes. Who is the winner? We are the winner! Competition is good.

Cool story though
Well I got 3 other Intel rigs in my house that never got asked either, so we outweigh you. :p
As long as the poll is random and they're using a high enough sample size it doesn't matter if every person gets asked.

According to Steam, Intel's marketshare continued to rise at a steady pace even AFTER Ryzen's launch this year. So yeah the numbers are a bit hard to believe.

Steam is like 75% Chinese. The most popular GPU is the 750ti, so no surprise Ryzen will take some time to gain ground. Ryzen is increasing while the rest of AMD is rapidly decreasing so a net loss.

Well I guess Intel magically started selling more CPUs after Ryzen's launch. Or Ryzen is selling the same/fewer CPUs as Vishera.
Talking about pre-CFL obviously. Jan-Oct.

I think that intel did finally manage to get some people with the older core CPU's to finally upgrade due to the increase in core count same as AMD managed to get their users finally something new and worthwhile and may have boosted sales this year somewhat, question is, will it last.

LOL. When RyZen did launch. People used best selling list to pretend that it was selling as hotcakes. Now that CoffeeLake is beating most Ryzen models, then now the excuse is that "newer chips do better".

I always enjoy those double standards.

At time of writting this there are only two AMD models among the top-ten list. The remaining eigth best selling CPUs are models from Intel. So stop the "AMD is selling more" nonsense. 8:2 for Intel:AMD is also the ratio reported by Passmark

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html

Who knows what kind of algorithm they're using. Raw sales data would be much better, like MindFactory.
Newer chips do sell better but for AMD to outrank Intel is a huge step.

Cool story though

The technical name is sampling. It is a standard concept in statistics. That you are not being asked to form part of the sample means nothing.

And no one here said that AMD is selling more than Intel, but thanks for posting Steam and CPU benchmark stats, my wondertwins.

What I have been saying is that CFL has been doing pretty crappy compared to Ryzen, at least here in the US.

1) Amazon shows Intel is outselling RyZen by 8:2 ratio.
2) Passmark shows Intel marktshare outpaces AMD by a factor of about 8:2
3) Steam shows that Intel sales outpace RyZen even by large ammounts, in a gaming context.
4) Q3 numbers show that RyZen sales have almost zero impact on Intel finances.
5) CFL i7 is selling more than R3 1200, R5 1500X, R5 1600X, R3, 1300X, R7 1700, R7 1700X, R7 1800X.
6) CFL i7 is #2 in the most wished list

Conclusion? "CFL has been doing pretty crappy compared to Ryzen". LOL

Back