Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wonder if coffee lake will be available for pre order 8/21

Wondering the same thing. I want to upgrade right now, but no point in buying a 7700k for 300 bucks if I can get the same IPC or even better IPC and 2 extra cores for hopefully around 350 bucks.

You make no sense if you have you use for that many cores why are you even looking at 8700k
Because the 8700k is a 6 core 12 threaded CPU and the platform is still cheaper than threadrippers 1900x 8 core 16 threaded part. Also it's a known fact Intel offers faster performance on single threaded apps which I have plenty of.

Last edited:
The question of eight slower cores versus six faster cores is certainly worth pondering.

I think there is little to ponder here. In this thread you can find a comparison between six core i7-8700K and eight core R7-1700X.

In another part I compared the i7 to the R7-1800X

- 14% higher IPC
- 34% higher ST
- 6% lower MT

But those numbers are at stock settings. Considering that i7 will OC surely without problems to 4.5GHz, whereas 1800X hits a 4GHz wall. The above numbers have to be changed to

- 6% higher MT

And the i7 is cheaper and comes with an iGPU as well...

Last edited:
I think there is little to ponder here. In this thread you can find a comparison between six core i7-8700K and eight core R7-1700X.

In another part I compared the i7 to the R7-1800X

- 14% higher IPC
- 34% higher ST
- 6% lower MT

But those numbers are at stock settings. Considering that i7 will OC surely without problems to 4.5GHz, whereas 1800X hits a 4GHz wall. The above numbers have to be changed to

- 14% higher IPC
- 50% higher ST
- 6% higher MT

And the i7 is cheaper and comes with an iGPU as well...

im with intel much faster on ST but 50% sounds too unreal at 4.5ghz. let say intel can go 5ghz, amd can do 4ghz. thats only 25%, even with faster IPC say 10% on intel thats not even close to 40% in ST overall. how do you calculate the 50%?

When DRAM companies ramp up production beyond what the datacenter, mobile and smartphones uses. Samsung for example moved from 12% to 27% server memory alone in the same timeframe. Desktop is last again.
Is this expected any time soon?

8th Gen Intel Core Processor Family (Coffee Lake-S) Possible Pricing and Release Date

MT7wyvr.jpg

Here's the possible prices and release date for the new lineup. I believe they come from a pre-launch listing, so a little gouging is expected. Also, hardware tends to be more expensive in Canada - Core i7-7700K's regular price in NCIX is $484.98 CAD and months after launch it's $429.99 CAD. MSRP (recommended price) should be very similar to the Kaby Lake-S models they are replacing.

Last edited:
USD conversions are never accurate (always too high). The original price being CAD might make them closer though.

USD conversions are never accurate (always too high). The original price being CAD might make them closer though.

That's correct. I edited the post above. $485 CAD is exactly what Core i7-7700K cost in Canada at launch, sow we can expect the same or very similar recommended pricing as their Kaby Lake-S predecessors.

The non-discounted list price of a 7700K in Canada is around $445(newegg)-$485(ncix), and USD is $339-$350 according to Intel. I dunno if there is any source for the actual canadian MSRPs of the 7000-series, but if there is that would be more precise. But regardless, from the above numbers the exchange rate commonly used is about 1.32-1.38. If we split the difference that gives us 1.35, and CA$484.44/1.35 = US$358.84.

This implies that, if the source above is correct, the 8700K's pricing is going to be very close to the 7700K's list msrp of $339-$350 listed above, perhaps $349-$360 or something.

It also implies that Canadians typically get ripped off on retailer pricing given their proximity to the US, but that's nothing new and common knowledge for us ;)

Because the 8700k is a 6 core 12 threaded CPU and the platform is still cheaper than threadrippers 1900x 8 core 16 threaded part. Also it's a known fact Intel offers faster performance on single threaded apps which I have plenty of.
Like I said you still make no sense. Last post you said you couldn't wait that long for 8700k and now Intel is cheaper and faster single thread

Soo either wait and suit your needs or don't wait, pay more and get 1900x

None of that has anything to do with us, only you making a decision of what you really want.

It pretty much has to be $350 MSRP, there's not much wiggle room before they hit the 7800X.

So do we expect the 8700 to outperform the 7800? Both 6 core, but higher clock speeds for the 8700?
Is it just the x299 platform that people don't like?

8th Gen Intel Core Processor Family (Coffee Lake-S) Possible Pricing and Release Date

MT7wyvr.jpg

Here's the possible prices and release date for the new lineup. I believe they come from a pre-launch listing, so a little gouging is expected. Also, hardware tends to be more expensive in Canada - Core i7-7700K's regular price in NCIX is $484.98 CAD and months after launch it's $429.99 CAD. MSRP (recommended price) should be very similar to the Kaby Lake-S models they are replacing.

well gg guys im in canada and yes we get ripped off because we have like 1 or 2 major city in each province filled with nothing but trees and silicon.
sept 16th god damn thats a LONNNNGN WAIT

So do we expect the 8700 to outperform the 7800? Both 6 core, but higher clock speeds for the 8700?
Is it just the x299 platform that people don't like?

Like...

Dislike...

It's a matter of 'right tool for the job'. Main truth is that Intel HEDT has made a place for itself in the gaming community because that's where Intel has been releasing their six-plus core CPUs for the last half-decade, and now that they've run out of clockspeed improvements and IPC improvements, they're putting a six-core CPU into their consumer socket.

So, the main 'dislike' is that X299, no different than X99 that preceded it or AMD's newly-minted X399 that competes with it, are expensive platforms that offer a lot of options that aren't needed for gaming or many other resource-intensive tasks. Only now, with Coffee Lake and Ryzen in consumer sockets, you don't need to move up to HEDT unless you have some heavy requirements in addition to or in place of gaming.

im with intel much faster on ST but 50% sounds too unreal at 4.5ghz. let say intel can go 5ghz, amd can do 4ghz. thats only 25%, even with faster IPC say 10% on intel thats not even close to 40% in ST overall. how do you calculate the 50%?

haha, yes you are right, I did a stupid mistake. Corrected my post. Thanks

The IPC gap is 14%

(218 / 163) * (4.0 / 4.7) = 1.138

Even considering 5GHz for Intel and 4GHz for AMD, the gap is only 42%

1.138 * 5/4 = 1.423

Last edited:
haha, yes you are right, I did a stupid mistake. Corrected my post. Thanks

The IPC gap is 14%

(218 / 163) * (4.0 / 4.7) = 1.138

Even considering 5GHz for Intel and 4GHz for AMD, the gap is only 42%

1.138 * 5/4 = 1.423

a very nice speed boost. this will be a nice upgrade from my 1680v2 8c at 4.3ghz. interms of multi threaded performance it'll be close enough where as ST performance will be much faster.

we don't need to wonder. 8700k will be faster than 7800X, and 7800X is already usually faster than 1800X http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1903?vs=1950[/QUOTE

assuming 8700k can clock just as well as 7800x, i think there should be no problem especially its 14nm++. now just wish intel isnt lying about the IPC gain..

It's a matter of 'right tool for the job'. Main truth is that Intel HEDT has made a place for itself in the gaming community because that's where Intel has been releasing their six-plus core CPUs for the last half-decade, and now that they've run out of clockspeed improvements and IPC improvements, they're putting a six-core CPU into their consumer socket.

So, the main 'dislike' is that X299, no different than X99 that preceded it or AMD's newly-minted X399 that competes with it, are expensive platforms that offer a lot of options that aren't needed for gaming or many other resource-intensive tasks. Only now, with Coffee Lake and Ryzen in consumer sockets, you don't need to move up to HEDT unless you have some heavy requirements in addition to or in place of gaming.
My frustration here is that we're stuck with 16 PCIe lanes + 4 more from the PCH/DMI link.

That's fine for a pure gaming build where a dedicated graphics card is frequently the only add-on card, but you'll start feeling the crunch once you start piling on things like capture cards (high-end framegrabbers use PCIe x4 slots), multi-channel USB cards, NVMe drives, sound cards/audio interfaces, and so forth. At that point, you're stuck paying the premium for HEDT.

For my workloads, I don't feel like I really need more than 6 to 8 cores clocked as fast as possible for maximum single-threaded performance, but the 60 PCIe lanes of X399/Threadripper are already very enticing on their own while Intel's just dicking around with X299, where my CPUs of choice would only have 28 PCIe lanes thanks to artificial market segmentation.

If anything, I think 28 lanes should become the new standard for "mainstream" desktop platforms, particularly as they keep cramming more M.2 SSD slots on modern motherboards, while 44+ lanes can stay on HEDT. However, I don't see that happening for a few years, if ever, given my point about pure gaming builds only using their expansion slots for a single GPU these days.

Now who has a line to some cheap high speed ram? These prices suck.
Trying to decide now if I should get a fast ram kit over a slow one.
3200 MHz 14/16 CAS vs 3000 MHz? Or maybe lower.

This is the price history of a generic 32GB 3200 MHz 16CAS kit.
Nearly doubled in 1 yr.

4SYnMFL.png

Last edited:
An NDA just ended @ 3AM EST. Nothing on CFL-S today.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11738...tarting-with-kaby-lake-refresh-for-15w-mobile

Desktop simply labeled "Fall".

So when is Coffee Lake on 14++ (or Cannon Lake) coming? Intel only stated that other members of the 8th Generation family (which contains Kaby Lake Refresh, Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake) are coming later this year. Desktop will come in the autumn, and additional products for enterprise, workstation and enthusiast notebooks will also happen. As for today's 8th Generation U-series announcement, Intel tells us that we should start seeing laptops using the new CPUs hit the market in September.

Last edited:

"In our pre-briefings, Intel only mentioned Coffee Lake in the context of the fact that today’s launch is not Coffee Lake. Because media were expecting this to be Coffee Lake (and expecting it to be a desktop processor launch), the question ‘is this Coffee Lake’ was actually asked several times, and the answer had to be repeated."

Goddammit Intel. Not even a date?

So seems they went with IMVP9 VRM spec. Unless mobo makers and OEMs demanded it.

Zero.
Apparently, many reviewers thought it was for Coffee Lake, too.
In our pre-briefings, Intel only mentioned Coffee Lake in the context of the fact that today’s launch is not Coffee Lake. Because media were expecting this to be Coffee Lake (and expecting it to be a desktop processor launch), the question ‘is this Coffee Lake’ was actually asked several times, and the answer had to be repeated.

Just so we're clear on today's talking points:

"Thanks AMD" for the upgraded mobile chips & bumping CFL forward a few months. AMD deserves all the credit.
Not "Thanks AMD" for the lack of backwards compatibility. Instead, we say "Guess I'm buying Ryzen". The blame falls entirely on Intel.

Carry on.

Last edited:
So seems they went with IMVP9 VRM spec. Unless mobo makers and OEMs demanded it.

Just so we're clear on today's talking points:

"Thanks AMD" for the upgraded mobile chips & bumping CFL forward a few months. AMD deserves all the credit.
Not "Thanks AMD" for the lack of backwards compatibility. The blame falls entirely on Intel.

Carry on.

so apparently i thought CFL is just refresh and 2nd optimization of skylake but doesnt make sense of the IPC boost. i recall someone told me intel will use CNL's architecture for CFL even though CNL orginally is just a shrink not an optimization so there should be no IPC boost. unless CNL is of a new design then it explains the IPC gain on 8700k. what do u guys think?

The KBL-R chips is 14nm++. 35-45W performance now at 15W. Just freaking amazing.

The CFL-U is GT3e models. CFL models also got the new 14nm PCH unlike KBL-R.

This thread according to our friendly Intel associates:

Prior to NDA - 6 cores on the desktop is going to kick Ryzen's ass
After NDA - These new mobile chips are amazing

This thread according to everyone else:

Prior to NDA - Lets see what Intel has up their sleeve for the desktop
After NDA - Mobile parts? I thought this was about new desktop processors. Thanks for nothing with the generic "Fall" release date and the lack of backward compatibility.

Back