Intelligent Car Seat Detects Driver's Stress Level

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have to wonder how much a car seat that monitors respiration and heart rate to determine stress levels will add to the sticker price of your car. :eek:

The "Active Wellness" seat is the world's first health-monitoring car seat, according to automotive suppliers Faurecia. It uses a biometric sensing system built into the seat lining that can detect if the driver has a drop in energy levels or is under stress and responds with a specific massage pattern, along with air flow through the seat's ventilation system.

Personally, between my twitter feed, youtube videos, and cell phone calls I can't be bothered to monitor my own stress level while driving.

:rolleyes:

How about a seat that automatically deploys chainguns and missiles when some jerk cuts you off? I think that would sell better. :D

article said:
The "Active Wellness" seat is the world's first health-monitoring car seat, according to automotive suppliers Faurecia. It uses a biometric sensing system built into the seat lining that can detect if the driver has a drop in energy levels or is under stress and responds with a specific massage pattern, along with air flow through the seat's ventilation system.

great, because that's JUST what we need....something else to make people get sleepy behind the wheel..... :rolleyes:

"...along with air flow through the seat's ventilation system."

what...3 posts and no fart joke?

I feel like it is a software update from detecting drunk or influenced driving? Maybe posture change while texting?

So, you buy a car that has these fancy seats and then someone or a dog has a diarrhea attack and ruins the seat. How much to replace it? I bought some bucket seats for my truck and seats are not cheap anymore. Fully manual factory seats are $2500 each because they have airbags. Recaros start at about $600 and have no airbags. There are some cheap Chinese seats on Ebay that I wouldn't trust at all and they look terrible.There are computers, occupancy sensors, position sensors, seat belt sensors, motors, air bladders, etc. I think we can go simpler with a seat.

So, you buy a car that has these fancy seats and then someone or a dog has a diarrhea attack and ruins the seat. How much to replace it? I bought some bucket seats for my truck and seats are not cheap anymore. Fully manual factory seats are $2500 each because they have airbags. Recaros start at about $600 and have no airbags. There are some cheap Chinese seats on Ebay that I wouldn't trust at all and they look terrible.There are computers, occupancy sensors, position sensors, seat belt sensors, motors, air bladders, etc. I think we can go simpler with a seat.

At that price, who needs a seat at all? Just go to a thrifty type store, buy a stack of used books, wrap them in a lot of packing tape so they don't slide around on top of one another and sit on them to drive. Problem solved. :)

Back