Intel Xeon W3520 vs. Core i7 920 w/ D0 stepping???

undertheradar

[H]ard|Gawd
Whats the difference? If Im one of these people looking to get my hands on an i7/920/D0 stepping, is this the same thing? Can I disable ECC and make it overclock the same?

The Xeon is the server equivalent of the 920. There's alot of speculation on better overclocking and such. Typically Xeon server chips have a tjunction temperature higher than their desktop counterparts.

ECC memory isn't necessary on LGA 1366 xeons. You will be risking the chance that the W3520 may not get recognized by some earlier motherboard bioses, due to different microcoding between the chips. Typically that just means an "unknown processor" message during post, but it can get as bad as a chip operating at the wrong frequencies and/or voltage, etc. This is what happened in older single socket Xeons, but there may be differences in the Nehalem architecture to prevent that from happening. A bios flash normally remedies the problem.

Try it out and let us know what happens. hehehe.. Apparently people have W3520s running on Mainstream OC boards already, so I don't see any compatibility issues.

Last edited:
Back