Intel Xeon W-3175X Is the Fastest Workstation Processor on the Market

The 9900K can't do AVX512 either, however, no one that reviewed and praised it ever mentioned that. Because... It can do 5GHz, and that's all that matters. Honestly, the 9900K is the only CPU worth buying from Intel. Their entire Skylake-X lineup is a hot mess that's not really worth buying. Objectively, if you want the best mid-range CPU, go 9900K, for HEDT, go 2950X. If you want to save $300, get a 1950X. You have a use case for high core count, the 2970WX is a good value at $1100.

Well said although I don't care about 5GHz, I care about the performance and IPC. If AMD can offer 9900k or better perf for 8 cores or more in most general use then I'm definitely in. I think we will see a lot more variation in product stack from AMD and I'm praying the Opteron 165 makes a comeback in form of cherry picked chips for WS/OC use.

keep-calm-and-stay-on-topic-2.png

This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time, that a product took a while to become available at retail.

That doesn't make his point anymore valid.

You still didn't get my point. You need a special motherboard, cooling and case. This is not your average release.

So releasing the chip won't really do much.

The people buying this aren't going to be concerned with building it themselves just as much as they wont be buying used hardware off eBay.

The people buying this aren't going to be concerned with building it themselves just as much as they wont be buying used hardware off eBay.

You are right. But you can't built it right now even if you had the CPU.

while Intel edges power at the cost of a nuclear reactor and 6$k premium pricing both of which would be paid by high end workstation segment companies or business,large or small ones with deep pockets.

High end workstations are 2p systems which the W3175X isn't. So I'm not really sure who this the target audience of this CPU actually is. Those with truly deep pockets for workstations with parallel workloads get things like the HP Z8 or Lenovo P920 which can run 2p Xeon's, pushing upwards of 56 cores in a single system. Configured with such they are insanely expensive, obviously, but that's your actual top end from Intel in the workstation market. Not the W-3175X. Even in a more "conservative" price bracket dual Xeon Gold 6138's is "only" $5200 and that gets you 40 cores.

So what even is the W-3175X then? It's too expensive & weird for HEDT but too limited for proper high-end workstation. Seems like it really just exists because it could, not really with any actual market in mind.

You are right. But you can't built it right now even if you had the CPU.

That's irrelevant. You can't build the new AMD processors as they haven't been released yet, either.

Also, those new AMD GPUs, can't buy them yet either.

We can do this all day.

Someone who needs a system right now obviously wouldn't be in the market for a W-3175X setup. However, someone who is in the market for a W-3175X setup will be able to tell you how much more money they can earn per day/hour/minute using that rig and thus will wait until it is released.

High end workstations are 2p systems which the W3175X isn't. So I'm not really sure who this the target audience of this CPU actually is. Those with truly deep pockets for workstations with parallel workloads get things like the HP Z8 or Lenovo P920 which can run 2p Xeon's, pushing upwards of 56 cores in a single system. Configured with such they are insanely expensive, obviously, but that's your actual top end from Intel in the workstation market. Not the W-3175X. Even in a more "conservative" price bracket dual Xeon Gold 6138's is "only" $5200 and that gets you 40 cores.

So what even is the W-3175X then? It's too expensive & weird for HEDT but too limited for proper high-end workstation. Seems like it really just exists because it could, not really with any actual market in mind.

It exists so Intel can claim they still have the fastest CPU in the world.

Hence why they only sent it to specific review sites who have been known to suckle from their scrotum in years past.

That's irrelevant. You can't build the new AMD processors as they haven't been released yet, either.

Also, those new AMD GPUs, can't buy them yet either.

We can do this all day.

Someone who needs a system right now obviously wouldn't be in the market for a W-3175X setup. However, someone who is in the market for a W-3175X setup will be able to tell you how much more money they can earn per day/hour/minute using that rig and thus will wait until it is released.

No idea what you are talking about. Reviews are out. It’s available from system integrators. It’s already released. It’s not available in retail and may never be due to special requirements. You can do this all day. Comparing apples to oranges. What GPUs are you talking about what CPUs are you talking about for AMD? Ones that haven’t launched yet? On intels new room page it doesn’t even mention retail availability. It’s all up in the air.

This is a product that’s launched. No ifs and buts about that.

Very. Good point

No idea what you are talking about. Reviews are out. It’s available from system integrators. It’s already released. It’s not available in retail and may never be due to special requirements. You can do this all day. Comparing apples to oranges. What GPUs are you talking about what CPUs are you talking about for AMD? Ones that haven’t launched yet? On intels new room page it doesn’t even mention retail availability. It’s all up in the air.

This is a product that’s launched. No ifs and buts about that.

You said, and I quote, it's not available yet. My response was based on that.

I didn't know the "whole package" was already available, but JUST the CPU wasn't for sale individually.

Which kind of brings me to this. What's your point that you can't buy the CPU individually? Someone buying this, as I have said before, doesn't care about building a system. They just want the fastest system available for their workload. This offers it. Period.

The fact that it's not available individually for retail or may never be available individually for retail isn't relevant.

You said, and I quote, it's not available yet. My response was based on that.

I didn't know the "whole package" was already available, but JUST the CPU wasn't for sale individually.

Which kind of brings me to this. What's your point that you can't buy the CPU individually? Someone buying this, as I have said before, doesn't care about building a system. They just want the fastest system available for their workload. This offers it. Period.

The fact that it's not available individually for retail or may never be available individually for retail isn't relevant.

People would deep pockets would actually get a real workstation with dual Xeon’s. This is just intel’s desperation move to have something against amd in HEDT platform but it’s not as accessible AMD. On top TDP is a lie again when it’s actually close to 350w out of the box vs stated 255w. I feel like this product just exits to show off more than anything by giving it as much power as it needs lol.

People are buying threadripper and epic cpus...even rome cpus, right now. But that's not the topic of this thread.

I dont think we need a review of Intel's Xeon W-3175X 28-core CPU nuclear reactor....and also not the boards that cost almost as much as a 2990WX

Show them our cold shoulder for being that nasty to us to offer such an inferior CPU in every aspect. Yaahh it's a max10% faster...who cares...you can almost buy 2 2990 + boards for 1 Intel setup. No, thank you Intel ! A CPU for idiots or the super rich, or both

A side effect of this CPU is that i am reading peltier chilled water build logs from a decade ago. all of a sudden there is a reason to use the most extreme of the cooling solutions that can run 24x7.

Last edited:
A side effect of this CPU is that i am reading peltier chilled water build logs from a decade ago. all of a sudden there is a reason to use the most extreme of the cooling solutions that can run 24x7.

I still have my 226w peltier on a waterblock from a barton 2500 :D, though I doubt that would do much for this beast

I'm curious to see a comparison with the power draw even between the two. Judging by the performance and power draw delta between the two, the Xeon doesn't look terribly efficient.
Also, the motherboard for the Xeon is listed at $1800. I know that Gordon said in the video that he would've written the Xeon off at $4k but at $3k it's not too had, however the price difference for the platform is still $2.4k. Wonder if that changes his calculus.
https://www.compsource.com/pn/ROGDO...0g-Lan-ROG-DOMINUS-EXTREME-ROGDOMINUSEXTREME/

You have to get a special permit to use it with an RTX 2080 and some believe it could cause the whole earth to collapse into a singularity if somebody actually does it.

But most believe the whole thing will stop working before any real damage is done.
Illegal in California, lol.

....I intended for this to be funny, but for the ones who don't know, you can't run two beefy power supplies on a 15 or 20 Amp circuit (depending on how your house/business is wired) and expect it to work. It will either trip the breaker every time it exceeds it's load, or if the breaker is faulty, then it will eventually start an electrical fire. One might call the Intel W-3175X "The Firestarter".
The person mentioning using 240v lines actually had a good point. At 240v, amps go way down.

Lol @ "two-pole 20 Amp AFCI breaker and 100 Ft. of Romex NM 3/12 wire as a kit"

Reactions: STEM
like this
Back