Intel Xeon W-3175X Is the Fastest Workstation Processor on the Market

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Feb 1, 2019.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Gordon Mah Ung of PCWorld has reviewed the new Intel Xeon W-3175X; a 28-core 56-thread behemoth from Intel for workstations. They pitted the Intel Xeon W-3175X ($2,999) against the best from the competition in the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX ($1,799). In most tests, the Intel 28C/56T offering bested the AMD 32C/64T offering by single digit percentages to barely 10%, but in the V-Ray 1.08 test there was a 30% performance uplift shown by the Intel processor. In some testing, the Coreprio utility helped uplift the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX performance to a virtual tie with the Intel Xeon W-3175X. When it comes to pricing, the Intel Xeon W-3175X is a $2,999 processor while the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX will only set you back $1,799. The Intel offering is currently only available for purchase from system builders, while the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX can be found at NewEgg, Amazon, Microcenter, etc. During testing the Intel system was observed pulling over 550 watts at the wall while only using a single power supply. Yes, Intel recommends feeding the beast with 2 power supplies! When overclocked to 4.1GHz on all cores, the Intel Xeon W-3175X pulled over 700 watts at the socket! Meanwhile the AMD system was much more pedestrian at 350watts.

Check out the video.

With a price of $3,000 and an actual demonstrable performance advantage in a lot of areas though, it’s actually a contender. It’s not a knock out by any means but for those who do want it all and don’t mind paying for it, it’s going to be really hard to find a faster CPU out today than the Xeon W-3175X.

DejaWiz likes this.
  2. gxp500

gxp500 Gawd

At double the price(cpu+mobo) of the competition I would expect it to be.

3. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

How about some phoronix tests instead.

Stimpy88 likes this.
  4. ConnerLeo

ConnerLeo n00b

Does Intel offer a free power plant at those prices?

5. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

GN did some benchmarks too. Trades blows with a 2990, but anything that it's not tied, it generally blows the 2990 out of the water, with a few favoring the 2990 (especially taking power into consideration).

And of course, if you want 5GHz, you'll want a chiller.

6. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

Honestly, I would call this a win on both sides of the fence, AMD does well enough at that TDP and price point, while Intel edges power at the cost of a nuclear reactor and 6$k premium pricing both of which would be paid by high end workstation segment companies or business,large or small ones with deep pockets.

Nightfire likes this.
  7. Evil Timmy

Evil Timmy [H]Lite

The fact that a part costing $1200 more is neck and neck with with AMD on any of these tests, plus having to deal with that much extra heat...kinda reminiscent of some of AMD's old "upgrades" where it was the last processor architecture just pushed to its thermal limits. We can only hope that Intel's new president finally makes some significant steps forward, as AMD's been crushing it on price/performance across the board, from budget to HEDT and workstations, and without a new socket/required mobo upgrade every 18 months.

DukenukemX likes this.
  8. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Intel needs 10nm (I mean full production on all products not just the 1 SKU) and 7nm to both happen before 2021.

9. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Did they use anything like Coreprio?

dvsman likes this.
  10. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

Wanting only "the best", Tesla's new dashboard will feature the speedy W-3175X, however, note that it changes the unit for driving range from "miles" to "feet".

Flapjack, Calavaro and Hruodgar like this.
  11. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

Please, don't forget the need for a $1500 motherboard vs a $400 motherboard as well :p so the systems are not just $1200 apart, they're $1200 + the $1100 for motherboard. ( You could buy a whole other TR 2990, with board for that price)

12. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

In a few years when this CPU is obsolete, at least you can still use it as a space heater :p

DukenukemX likes this.
  13. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Good on the -6F (-21C) nights. We had one of of those this week.

14. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Probably not...don't remember him mentioning it anyway.

DukenukemX likes this.
  15. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Newer CPU barely beats the older TR while sucking almost 150% more juice.. Zen2 had better come packed in a gallon of lube for Intel.

16. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

It wins by a few percent for over grand more, but you might want to run 240v power line for it good job Intel. :rolleyes: CONVINCING WIN

17. Randall Stephens

Randall Stephens Limp Gawd

18. lightsout

lightsout Gawd

700 watts, wow! Thats pretty crazy for a cpu.

DukenukemX likes this.
  19. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

Can't wait to see Intel pull all the stops beating 7nm Epyc with like 8 PSU's requirement and costing 4 grand more at the same time.

They should package and ship it inside a cheap 700 watt microwave. The real benchmark for this CPU though is what you can cook with it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  20. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Low of 55 here in California this morning :D (The weather is about the only reason to live here any more)

However, it's supposed to get down to 41 by Wednesday, so I'll probably see a lot of people dressed like they are going on an artic expedition.
    As for me, I guess I'll have to give up the short pants an flip-flops for a few days :p

21. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Reminds me I need to call my intel rep. Time to cave and let them stand up their kubernetes demo thing.

22. Glock24

Glock24 [H]Lite

I'll say it's the hottest computer product ever!

23. STEvil

STEvil 2[H]4U

No, they didnt.

24. Glock24

Glock24 [H]Lite

The post says:

" In some testing, the Coreprio utility helped uplift the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX performance to a virtual tie with the Intel Xeon W-3175X."

dvsman likes this.
  25. STEvil

STEvil 2[H]4U

Try reading closer. Question was about Gamers Nexus tests

26. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Gawd

But was this not tested in Windows? And did it not come out recently that that there were issues with the Windows scheduler that severely handicapped 2990WX performance?

dvsman and c3k like this.
  27. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

If microsoft can get off its ass and implement a better scheduler for windows then may be we have a fair competition. I would like to see the damn thing in Linux for a fair competition. Had this been the other way around AMD would be hammered for even having this product on the shelf lol.

So pretty much intel is lying to your face again. On paper 255w but in reality pumping 350w. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is boosting way past stock speed all core on the chip. Hahaha. I am not sure how they get away with shit like that.

Darth Kyrie, dvsman, c3k and 3 others like this.
  28. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

You have to get a special permit to use it with an RTX 2080 and some believe it could cause the whole earth to collapse into a singularity if somebody actually does it.

But most believe the whole thing will stop working before any real damage is done.

Flapjack, dvsman and Glock24 like this.
  29. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

GN did a good review for the CPU. They said before you jump on board, considering the cost, they recommend looking at the specific workload. In some cases the TR4 platform is equal in performance and cost significantly less.

30. Glock24

Glock24 [H]Lite

My bad. I stand corrected.

Aioeyu, Shmee and AceGoober like this.
  31. Skull_Angel

Skull_Angel [H]ard|Gawd

I was about to mention something similar; all the testing in the video seems to have been done on windows, where we know there are scheduler issues for these AMD chips. Lets get some apples to apples done under linux until windows can handle these chips properly.

Flapjack, Darth Kyrie, dvsman and 2 others like this.
  32. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

yup they need do test both in linux until MS can fix windows.

33. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

It's alright, I was technically kinda off topic anyway.

34. andrewaggb

andrewaggb Limp Gawd

Amuses me that a system pulling 500w is seen as crazy... meanwhile we have 1500 watt PSU's and high end graphics cards that can pull 250-300W stock. If you had to own one today, and you are running windows, it sounds to me like the intel chip is faster and has more consistent performance - but it costs more and uses more power. I'd say there is a market for both.

35. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

The xeon was pulling 750 ish according to the vid.

Flapjack likes this.
  36. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

500 stock, 700 overclocked. It's an impressive amount of power for a single CPU, but then it does have 28 cores (for about 18-25w per core). Note that that's the power at the wall.

...err, well 500 at the wall stock, 700 at the socket overclocked.

37. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

Titan X pulls about 225-250w average for a typical peak gaming workload. I'm blown away at the power draw of this Intel CPU.

38. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Congrats you missed the whole point. Its not the issue. Chip is labeled as 250w to make it seem like it uses the same amount of power as AMD but AMD CPU does not go above 250w while intel is using 350w and has special cooling from the box. So pretty much boosting itself past stock speed and using 100w to boot and performing faster. Power ain't the problem here, it is how intel is bullshitting the paper specs while only selling it to system integrators with special cooling and special boards.

oh wait you just compared to GPU power. SMH.

Flapjack, dvsman, FlawleZ and 3 others like this.
  39. STEM

STEM Gawd

Intel has the YouTube shills pushing this product for them. There is nothing reasonable about this platform, no matter how you look at it. I'm surprised that it doesn't ship with a two-pole 20 Amp AFCI breaker and 100 Ft. of Romex NM 3/12 wire as a kit. That's about what you need to run a fully loaded system safely with two power supplies, one PSU on each pole. That's insane for a workstation, just insane.

I intended for this to be funny, but for the ones who don't know, you can't run two beefy power supplies on a 15 or 20 Amp circuit (depending on how your house/business is wired) and expect it to work. It will either trip the breaker every time it exceeds it's load, or if the breaker is faulty, then it will eventually start an electrical fire. One might call the Intel W-3175X "The Firestarter".

Flapjack, Darth Kyrie, dvsman and 6 others like this.
  40. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Yea I do feel though intel has so many people by the balls they just simply cant say it like it is. That video was weird. Its like they were trying to be critical but had to be nice about it lol.