Intel Xeon L5639 Hexa(6) Core LGA1366 Price:US $79.80 Used Ebay Seller

Can somebody advise if I am going to have to buy i7-920 in order to update BIOS on my Sabertooth that I have in my closet. I assume it might have a pretty old version of BIOS.

I have tried this cpu in 4 different sabertooths and they always worked, I never hecked the bios versions though so ymmv.

If anyone's looking for X58 motherboards i found some for sale here:

http://www.ascendtech.us/intel-lga1366-motherboards_c_mb1366.aspx

However, various reviews from this site are pretty bad...
purchase at your own risk!!

"OEM" boards without I/O plates and according to reviews it's just the board, no cables, squat.

i see a X58 Sabertooth for $129.99 FS
and a rampage II gene for $149 (unsure about the cpu support)

rest of the prices are meh

I bought two Sabertooths from this site, they took my order on 11/22 and charged my paypal I e-mailed them on 12/2 wondering what the status of my order was as on the website it stated that it was an open/pending order still. On 12/3 they e-mailed me and told me they were out of stock and had to refund me. The jerks!!!

Avoid this company.

ssnyder28 where did you finally end up over clock wise? What's you 24/7 stable clock? turbo/ fully loaded/ idle?

I was going to get this CPU but the price was like $150 on ebay australia, I end up getting x5660

Folks done got greedy on selling this chips on EBAY. What is the higher Cinebench score has anyone got on this? Also there is a new one out also to use.
http://www.maxon.net/en/products/cinebench/overview.html

Old one was R11.5 and the new one is R15.

u8h3.jpg

Some of the guys with boards that don't throttle as much score a bit higher, but the majority of us will be around this score. It's buried back idk how many pages but a few were scoring in the middle to upper 800's

I would have figured it would have beaten a 4770k @ 4.6GHz given the other 2 cores on it. But they are on the 930cb+ range. Thanks for the benchmark run.

I would have figured it would have beaten a 4770k @ 4.6GHz given the other 2 cores on it. But they are on the 930cb+ range. Thanks for the benchmark run.

Hey considering the 4770k is nearly 5x times the cost and around 5 years newer tech and only manages to beat our score by around 10% margin...its hard to feel desperate to upgrade or bad at all that our cpus score a tad lower even if we are talking "6 core vs 4 core".

I don't know about everyone else, but the x58 platform has way more stable than i ever imagined possible "even with heavy overclocks".

I'm by no means knocking this chip. I've been trying to get one for the $70 when it started. Just missed it I guess. I'm not really all that crazy about the 4770k myself. High temps are a real killer for this chip. Almost makes me think Intel used the paste instead of the solder to stop all the overclocking.

Hey considering the 4770k is nearly 5x times the cost and around 5 years newer tech and only manages to beat our score by around 10% margin...its hard to feel desperate to upgrade or bad at all that our cpus score a tad lower even if we are talking "6 core vs 4 core".

I don't know about everyone else, but the x58 platform has way more stable than i ever imagined possible "even with heavy overclocks".

I bought two Sabertooths from this site, they took my order on 11/22 and charged my paypal I e-mailed them on 12/2 wondering what the status of my order was as on the website it stated that it was an open/pending order still. On 12/3 they e-mailed me and told me they were out of stock and had to refund me. The jerks!!!

Avoid this company.

Not too bad. I got Formula from them without a box and it came with everything. Quick and painless.

ssnyder28 where did you finally end up over clock wise? What's you 24/7 stable clock? turbo/ fully loaded/ idle?

Just 3.6 but with the most simple oc, I've had no time to tweak and I haven't installed any high end cooling yet.

wow what an awesome OC, i can't get mine over 3ghz on my SR2s with noctua nh-d14

Hey all. Im new to this site. I was looking in upgrading my system and obviously not wanting to spend too much money. I currently run this system:

Intel Core i7 950 (no OC running at 3.07GHz @40-50 Celcius when using After Effects and Premiere Pro)
Asus Sabertooth x58
Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 Ram
Nvidia GTX 550Ti
Corsair Hydro H60 Water Cooling System
Cooler Master HAF 922
Corsiar 750W PS.
Couple of HDDs.

I wanted to upgrade my system. I was reading about Xeon L5639. I am very interested in it. Is it compatible with my motherboard and my system? My main usage is for work (editing, VFX, color correction, sound etc). I found a couple for sale in my country (Im from Pakistan). What is more important: cores or clock speed? Also I would want to run it at at least 3.2GHz or 3 GHZ. Does it do that easily?

Last edited:
What is more important: cores or clock speed?

That depends on what you do. Look at task manager and see if all 8 of your threads are at 100% when you run your applications. If they are not all near 100% then clock speed will most likely be more important.

Hey all. Im new to this site. I was looking in upgrading my system and obviously not wanting to spend too much money. I currently run this system:

Intel Core i7 950 (no OC running at 3.07GHz @40-50 Celcius when using After Effects and Premiere Pro)
Asus Sabertooth x58
Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 Ram
Nvidia GTX 550Ti
Cooler Master H60 Water Cooling System
Cooler Master HAF 922
Corsiar 750W PS.
Couple of HDDs.

I wanted to upgrade my system. I was reading about Xeon L5639. I am very interested in it. Is it compatible with my motherboard and my system? My main usage is for work (editing, VFX, color correction, sound etc). I found a couple for sale in my country (Im from Pakistan). What is more important: cores or clock speed? Also I would want to run it at at least 3.2GHz or 3 GHZ. Does it do that easily?

I would research whether the programs you are using can take advantage of the extra cores and threads the L5639 can provide which a quick google search would provide. Basically this can provide 12 threads which may make a big difference in performance in programs that can take advantage of them.

In my experience the x58 Sabertooths seem to have the easiest time working with the L5639, I have tried 3 different boards and each worked with no fuss, it was also easy to OC with this board. Should be as simple as replacing the 950 with the L5639 and remounting your AIO cpu cooler, I would suggest doing an OC to the chip though which will be very easy on this motherboard. You should be able to reach between 3.2-3.6 with no voltage adjustment and not having to worry about your H60 not being able to handle the heat output.

@ssnyder28 - All of the programs that I use would take advantage of all the cores provided. That is why editors and VFX artists eventually go for 12 core systems, to utilize all of the cores. But I will still research.

@drescherjm - Well, currently I am running an 1080p AVCHD clip in Premiere Pro at the it reached a maximum of 35%.

These are the softwares that I use:
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
Adobe After Effects CS6
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Adobe Illustrator CS6
Adobe Audition CS6
DaVinci Resolve Lite 10
and a few more...

All of them (to my understanding) will take advantage of as many cores as I can provide them.

@ssnyder28 - All of the programs that I use would take advantage of all the cores provided. That is why editors and VFX artists eventually go for 12 core systems, to utilize all of the cores. But I will still research.

@drescherjm - Well, currently I am running an 1080p AVCHD clip in Premiere Pro at the it reached a maximum of 35%.

These are the softwares that I use:
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
Adobe After Effects CS6
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Adobe Illustrator CS6
Adobe Audition CS6
DaVinci Resolve Lite 10
and a few more...

All of them (to my understanding) will take advantage of as many cores as I can provide them.

Then it looks like you're planning on making the right upgrade, believe me the L5639s are the best value out there. I'm not sure what price you can get for them in your neck of the woods but in your application this should be a slightly better cpu than a 4770k and much less expensive. I don't use many heavy threaded applications but I enjoy running multiple applications at once and that is where I see the benefit in the extra cores

So is there any source for a decently cheap motherboard with multiplier control? (After reading this thread I got motivated and was able to score a Xeon x5660 engineering sample for $62 :) )

So is there any source for a decently cheap motherboard with multiplier control? (After reading this thread I got motivated and was able to score a Xeon x5660 engineering sample for $62 :) )

http://www.ascendtech.us/asus-rampage-iii-formula-x58-1366-no-i-o_i_mbasurmpg3frmno.aspx about the best deal I'm seeing here lately...it turbos better than most of ours with less throttle.....but i guess you hoping to find something a bit cheaper..
You might get lucky bidding on ebay and come out a bit cheaper.....amazing these board holding the price like they do......maybe make a post in the wtb/wts section? someone has one in a closet out there somewhere

Yea good luck finding motherboards that are reasonable. DON'T buy OEM boards!!! Boards like Dell, HP, or Compaq will most likely not accept the chip or at the very least not show the correct chip and ram.

http://www.ascendtech.us/asus-rampage-iii-formula-x58-1366-no-i-o_i_mbasurmpg3frmno.aspx about the best deal I'm seeing here lately...it turbos better than most of ours with less throttle.....but i guess you hoping to find something a bit cheaper..
You might get lucky bidding on ebay and come out a bit cheaper.....amazing these board holding the price like they do......maybe make a post in the wtb/wts section? someone has one in a closet out there somewhere

I am quite happy with Ascendtech. I bought Asus Rampage Formula III over 4 weeks ago with I/O and it came with all the accessories. The only thing missing was the box. The board looked and smelled new. :D

Last edited:
I have bought and sold a few Rampage III Formulas lately and they command a high price, its tough to find one under $200. The best bang/buck board is the Sabertooth, they can be found in the $150 range.

Last edited:
Base-model Asus P6T have been going on fleabay for ~$100. Mine's running the Xeon with a bios update quite well.

Well, looks like I stumbled upon this thread rather late :p. So I guess the only question that I should bother asking would be is this CPU worth it with my current setup? It's mainly for gaming & I know that's not what Xeons are meant for. I was already considering upgrading my rig during the summer time anyways to a more modern setup but at the prices these CPU's are going for, a side upgrade may stretch out this system for a little longer. Especially since I plan to pick up a GTX 760 soon or a GTX 770 if the price is right.

Well, looks like I stumbled upon this thread rather late :p. So I guess the only question that I should bother asking would be is this CPU worth it with my current setup? It's mainly for gaming & I know that's not what Xeons are meant for. I was already considering upgrading my rig during the summer time anyways to a more modern setup but at the prices these CPU's are going for, a side upgrade may stretch out this system for a little longer. Especially since I plan to pick up a GTX 760 soon or a GTX 770 if the price is right.
I don't think anyway here regrets buying this cpu for gaming or other tasks....I just cant recall if it works well in msi boards...with that being said only boards i remember hearing problems with are gigabyte boards or the lack of being able to overclock them. You probably would want the latest bios before swapping the cpus just to be on the safe side. Good luck with your purchase

Any thoughts people? Any benefit what so ever going with 48 gigs of ram? I guess if you have to ask the answer is no...but wouldn't it be kool!:) could make a nice ram disk, for what im not sure...but i love shit like that;)

Who REALLY needs over 4GB? Even most 3D FPS games won't use much more than 1.5-2GB at a time. That said, the more the merrier :)

I don't think anyway here regrets buying this cpu for gaming or other tasks....I just cant recall if it works well in msi boards...with that being said only boards i remember hearing problems with are gigabyte boards or the lack of being able to overclock them. You probably would want the latest bios before swapping the cpus just to be on the safe side. Good luck with your purchase

I am running mine on a Gigabyte board. It is not the best at high bclk, but I was still able to get it to 205 bclk for a final speed of 3.69Ghz.

There was a newer model than mine which does do higher bclk, but for the price I got the board for, I am plenty happy with it.

I got my L5639 for $80 with sabertooth x58 for $120shipped. Its been an awesome combo, the only issue ive had is the northbridge heatsink gets SUPER hot. but luckily my cases have had side panel fans that cool it down to 72C.

I have mine clocked at 3ghz, just a bump in the FSB, mining quark at about 800kh from cpu with 11 threads and worldcoins at 1800kh (2 x 290x)

I got my L5639 for $80 with sabertooth x58 for $120shipped. Its been an awesome combo, the only issue ive had is the northbridge heatsink gets SUPER hot. but luckily my cases have had side panel fans that cool it down to 72C.

I have mine clocked at 3ghz, just a bump in the FSB, mining quark at about 800kh from cpu with 11 threads and worldcoins at 1800kh (2 x 290x)

thats one hell of a system for the money;)

Any thoughts people? Any benefit what so ever going with 48 gigs of ram? I guess if you have to ask the answer is no...but wouldn't it be kool!:) could make a nice ram disk, for what im not sure...but i love shit like that;)

I use 48 gigs on mine for virtualization.

But just for the fun of it, I did boot ram disks with Windows 7 and 8.
I used an SSD to house the boot image, took about 3 - 4 mins to boot since it has to copy the image to RAM, but everything was so smooth once it was running. 32GB for ram disk, 16 for everything else.

I didn't do much with it but get some windows index scores and load Tomb Raider and BioShock.

Kinda off topic, but has anyone tested ANY xeons in the acer/gateway Mb.g4109.002 OEM board? I have a quad and hex 1366 xeons I would like to get running cheap. I'm still on c2q!

Looking to confirm it works or not.

Got a Xeon E5540 to boot and run without issue on that board (Mb.g4109.002).
Zero overclocking though. Don't have the board with me anymore, didn't get a chance to mod the bios.

The l5639 works good in the msi big bang as I have tested one before. Gaming wise you probably wont see any difference unless you are running sli/crossfire or if the game/application can take advantage of more than the 8 threads you already have in your 950. Also the 950 should OC better. If you got to the party late its tough to find these at the prices they were going for a few months ago ($70-$80) its tough to find one under $125 now. Whats the point of having a big bang if you aren't running multiple GPUs?

I'd suggest selling the big bang and downgrading your motherboard if you aren't going to multi-gpu. People want these to run mining/folding rigs so you could get a good amount for it, buy a P6T for $100 as someone mentioned and throw whatever the difference is into your GPU purchase. Down the road if you feel like getting a hex-core xeon I have noticed that the Asus boards seem to be the most compatible and easiest to oc with.

The l5639 works good in the msi big bang as I have tested one before. Gaming wise you probably wont see any difference unless you are running sli/crossfire or if the game/application can take advantage of more than the 8 threads you already have in your 950. Also the 950 should OC better. If you got to the party late its tough to find these at the prices they were going for a few months ago ($70-$80) its tough to find one under $125 now. Whats the point of having a big bang if you aren't running multiple GPUs?

I'd suggest selling the big bang and downgrading your motherboard if you aren't going to multi-gpu. People want these to run mining/folding rigs so you could get a good amount for it, buy a P6T for $100 as someone mentioned and throw whatever the difference is into your GPU purchase. Down the road if you feel like getting a hex-core xeon I have noticed that the Asus boards seem to be the most compatible and easiest to oc with.

For once I actually disagree with you ssnyder....why would he want to side grade his 1366 board for another 1366 board? (unless the xeon was incompatible) which apparently its not. Part of the fun is keeping the hardware that's been running so well (for me) heck those extra pci express slots come in handy for a million reasons IMO. Your right about the prices going up..http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-...US_Server_CPUs_Processors&hash=item58a908ef3e but i be willing to be these guys would take offers between 89-100. Also to me at least one game i play frequently does better with a hexa core (BF4) and i wouldn't doubt any of the coming games that use the same engine would as well. Anyways before i went selling board, buying another of same chip set, i think i would take a shot at low balling a few sellers on ebay and try to get one for the price we paid for them:)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For once I actually disagree with you ssnyder....why would he want to side grade his 1366 board for another 1366 board? (unless the xeon was incompatible) which apparently its not. Part of the fun is keeping the hardware that's been running so well (for me) heck those extra pci express slots come in handy for a million reasons IMO. Your right about the prices going up..http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-...US_Server_CPUs_Processors&hash=item58a908ef3e but i be willing to be these guys would take offers between 89-100. Also to me at least one game i play frequently does better with a hexa core (BF4) and i wouldn't doubt any of the coming games that use the same engine would as well. Anyways before i went selling board, buying another of same chip set, i think i would take a shot at low balling a few sellers on ebay and try to get one for the price we paid for them:)

Well its really up to him that's just what I would do. The xeons aren't as readily available on ebay like they were a few months ago by all means if u can find a l5639 for less than $100 its a good buy as having extra cores can help future proof your system more. The only reason I suggested downgrading the board is because I see no benefit based on his explanation there will be nearly a $100 difference between these boards they he could use to buy a better gpu or offset cost going from a 950 to an l5639. It may be a hassle for some people but I frequently change components in my system and my kid's systems.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back