Intel Xeon L5639 Hexa(6) Core LGA1366 Price:US $79.80 Used Ebay Seller

I'm having trouble finding anything other than the SR-2 mentioned and server boards....lol.
I just want a normal single socket 1366 board, new, if possible (from a legit store if possible).
Appears to be I'm asking for too much.

I'm having trouble finding anything other than the SR-2 mentioned and server boards....lol.
I just want a normal single socket 1366 board, new, if possible (from a legit store if possible).
Appears to be I'm asking for too much.

There's a few on eBay ;/

keep in mind....most of us paid over 300 for single socket boards when we bought them long ago.....doesn't surprise me their sill expensive

Hmm, this looks interesting, might be upgrading my 920! :)

Now, to build an extra box or 2, does anyone know is this motherboard supports a xeon CPU?

I know these aren't the best...

I'm pretty tempted to grab one of these... i'm scouring craigslist and trying to get people to sell their old X58 motherboards only. If i hit the jackpot i'll be on my way.

I ran an asus sabertooth x58 board with an L5640 hex.

Better be glad the [h] orde folding crew didnt see this. They would have prolly all been sold out to one buyer. Lol.

good question...but thats a hell of a fine price imo:)

The price is what caught my attention, 1366 mobos are probably some of the rarest mobos out there. But the idea of putting together a hex core + mobo under $250 is NICE! And why not add a new R9-290x all in a small box.... :cool:

But being a Dell Alienware mobo, and Dell being....well Dell; I don't know if they included xeons in the bios.

-

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Lol I have over a dozen x58 boards and even more cpu's. I picked up a pair of these cpu's for 150 shipped from a us seller. Time to make a sr2 breath. I have found almost all x58 boards work with the hex cores, even most have worked with my lousy A0 stepping l5640's. Also for people with sli and tri sli the nvidia drivers are very thread aware. Back when I used to run tri gtx 470's my l5640 at 3.6 crushed my 920 at 4ghz fps wise.

Lol I have over a dozen x58 boards and even more cpu's. I picked up a pair of these cpu's for 150 shipped from a us seller. Time to make a sr2 breath. I have found almost all x58 boards work with the hex cores, even most have worked with my lousy A0 stepping l5640's. Also for people with sli and tri sli the nvidia drivers are very thread aware. Back when I used to run tri gtx 470's my l5640 at 3.6 crushed my 920 at 4ghz fps wise.

Watch the PMs start to roll in. They'll read something like this...

"Hey man, you want to sell one of those extra X58 boards you posted about having? You know that stuff is OLD AS THE HILLS so I can take it off your hands real cheap, right?" :)

This thread alone is going to be responsible for a surge in eBay prices for X58 mobos.

BTW, for anyone that might be interested, there is an Asus Sabertooth X58 for sale over on OCN. Don't know anything about it other than the asking price is $140.

Lol ya ill sell them for 100 plus shipping with a CPU lol see them line up.

I ran an asus sabertooth x58 board with an L5640 hex.

Better be glad the [h] orde folding crew didnt see this. They would have prolly all been sold out to one buyer. Lol.

12 cores for 2p? pfft :p

:D

Last edited:
Hmmm I have been meaning to replace my I7 930 (4ghz) for a while now, but not quite ready to commit to a full rebuild. I found a L5639 BRAND NEW IN BOX for $85 from a US seller on eBay (with a good track record).

Going to probably sell my i7 930 or make another build out of it as a side project. Will post updates with benchies and overclocking results once i get it.

:D

The rumor I've heard is that these (and the L5520's) come from Facebook datacenter upgrades - there are literally *thousands* of them out there.
If you know where to look there are $25 2P motherboards for them on eBay...

Heres mine Ebay

Seller says he has a few more

The rumor I've heard is that these (and the L5520's) come from Facebook datacenter upgrades - there are literally *thousands* of them out there.
If you know where to look there are $25 2P motherboards for them on eBay...

I would be interested in finding out more about these motherboards? Cant seem to find anything.

Watch the PMs start to roll in. They'll read something like this...

"Hey man, you want to sell one of those extra X58 boards you posted about having? You know that stuff is OLD AS THE HILLS so I can take it off your hands real cheap, right?" :)

This thread alone is going to be responsible for a surge in eBay prices for X58 mobos.

BTW, for anyone that might be interested, there is an Asus Sabertooth X58 for sale over on OCN. Don't know anything about it other than the asking price is $140.

I know, right? Of course you already found my FS/FT thread. :D

There's no time like the present!

Mobos: There is an Intel NIB overclocking 1366 for $75 somewhere on the web.

I'll see if I can find it when I get to work.

Had an extra Xeon ES hex, so I built my daughter one a month ago. Nice board.

Be aware some Dell mobos iz funky.

It was a dx58og mobo. Not getting any hits anymore though. There was a lot of them.

The price is what caught my attention, 1366 mobos are probably some of the rarest mobos out there. But the idea of putting together a hex core + mobo under $250 is NICE! And why not add a new R9-290x all in a small box.... :cool:

But being a Dell Alienware mobo, and Dell being....well Dell; I don't know if they included xeons in the bios.

-

The whole 1366 motherboards being hard to find at a good price is why I grabbed a Gigabyte EX58 UD5 when I saw it for $130 shipped.

I bet the other people that had it watched on Ebay are kicking themselves for not grabbing it.

I have an extra motherboard; EVGA x58 SLI LE. Can only use the first 4 memory slots though. The other two don't work. Hasn't been used in 1.5-2 years, but worked the last time it was used. It could be yours. :p

I think anyone with an AMD or 1366 quad core is crazy not to grab one of these. You can sell your setup and get one of these probably without any cost out of pocket. Just before this deal was posted I was about to drop $275 on an AMD FX8320 + motherboard.

Now i have an L5639 + X58 sabertooth for $200.

I currently have a i7-950 on a Sabertooth Oced to 4Gigs. Its a gaming only rig, how much, if any, improvement will i see with one of these Xeons?

I did not read the entire thread but I have a EVGA x58 3x SLI board that I believe could handle Xeons, it's in my spare gaming box. Currently got a i7-920 and do some Blu-Ray um, backups/converting and gaming on it, would this possibly improve that? And what are i7-920's even going for these days?

I currently have a i7-950 on a Sabertooth Oced to 4Gigs. Its a gaming only rig, how much, if any, improvement will i see with one of these Xeons?

Barely any unless your running sli or better, but you'll also see a drop in power consumption which means less heat.

I want to hear some success stories with people replacing their i7 920s with these before I jump on one.

I have an older 1366 board that only lists one supported server part (W3520). Don't really have the budget to buy one and hope that it works.

I think anyone with an AMD or 1366 quad core is crazy not to grab one of these. You can sell your setup and get one of these probably without any cost out of pocket. Just before this deal was posted I was about to drop $275 on an AMD FX8320 + motherboard.

Now i have an L5639 + X58 sabertooth for $200.

Maybe but be careful. The sabertooth doesn't support VT-d properly :(

Most of the X58 vt-d bios implementations are broken.

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/VTd_HowTo

Given that a lot of us would want these for home servers, it's something to consider.

Seems like that's only a problem with Linux..?

That's from the Xen wiki. It's likely to be an issue with VMware hypervisors as well. I remember people complaining about the board before with ESXi.

The bad VT-d implementation is at the bios level and often causes either bugs, crashes, or security concerns when it doesn't work properly.

It's possible that it might work in some instances with certain visualization implementations but it's definitely better to start with something that you know will work. You may want to look into it further, people may have manual patches to fix it. It may be listed as IOMMU instead of VT-d.

As someone who will be just browsing the internet, playing games, and doing Blender/Maya rendering, should this be of concern?

As someone who will be just browsing the internet, playing games, and doing Blender/Maya rendering, should this be of concern?

Nah, VT-d has to do with virtualization, like Virtual Machines. Unless you're going to be doing all those things inside a virtual machine, you're in the clear.

any one of you wants to buy an ASRock x58 Extreme6, pm me and we'll talk price :)

you also try an alienware area 51 motherboard such as
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Dell-Al...108744786?pt=Motherboards&hash=item232ec87652

I have one, when in use it had a 980x cpu. only supports 12GB memory though. the price seems to have doubled since last april. Side story (I was looking for replacement 1366 and they were still expensive back then so upgrade to RIVE with 3960x sold the 980x and still got the mb)

you also try an alienware area 51 motherboard such as
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Dell-Al...108744786?pt=Motherboards&hash=item232ec87652

I have one, when in use it had a 980x cpu. only supports 12GB memory though. the price seems to have doubled since last april. Side story (I was looking for replacement 1366 and they were still expensive back then so upgrade to RIVE with 3960x sold the 980x and still got the mb)

way too much $$$ for what it is and i'm gonna go ahead and guess it doesn't OC

also worth noting that there are quite a few x58 boards that are known to work with 8gb dimms, so with 6 memory slots, you could be up to 48gb ram.

way too much $$$ for what it is and i'm gonna go ahead and guess it doesn't OC

also worth noting that there are quite a few x58 boards that are known to work with 8gb dimms, so with 6 memory slots, you could be up to 48gb ram.

agreed back in april they were less than 70. Also I had my 980x OC to 4.5 but ymmv.

The 980x has an unlocked multiplier, these do not.

Going rate for a 980x is also about $200 more. From what I've read most of these l5639 xeons will do around 3.8ghz and some will go past 4ghz pretty awesome value imo.

Back