Intel Xeon L5639 Hexa(6) Core LGA1366 Price:US $79.80 Used Ebay Seller

The reason these are really cheap right now is because was a mountain of old Dell servers with these chips in them that went off-lease and were sold off to resellers and they're all trying to dump them at the same time. I've watched them drop in price from about $150/chip only a month or two ago and wouldn't be surprised if they dropped even lower. The same thing happened to the L5520 last year and they're in the $30 range now. =)

There WERE selling for ~$65-70 a piece a few months ago, then people caught wind of them and demand jumped. Prices went up to about $90-95 before sales quieted down. It looks like this price drop was brought on by a bunch of Chinese/HK sellers dumping a bunch of listings at $79 on eBay.

There WERE selling for ~$65-70 a piece a few months ago, then people caught wind of them and demand jumped. Prices went up to about $90-95 before sales quieted down. It looks like this price drop was brought on by a bunch of Chinese/HK sellers dumping a bunch of listings at $79 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=L5639&_sop=15
I have been following these chips for 6 months and I haven't seen them sell for $65-70.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone got a top three list of what motherboards were best in the socket 1366 category?

Anyone got a top three list of what motherboards were best in the socket 1366 category?

Look up the [H] review of the Gigabyte x58 ud5:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/09/21/gigabyte_x58aud5_motherboard_review/

Note, according to Gigabyte, they didn't officially support 6-core processors till BIOS revision F9.

I just picked up a "new" one of these processors for $85 shipped from the US.

Hope to either sell my W3565 and make a few bucks or maybe put another system together since I will have all the needed parts. bleh.

Does anyone have experience running these stock? There seem to be some pretty decent deals on complete servers like these:
I have a one in my SuperServer SYS-7046A-HR+F and looking at adding another now that the price has gotten so low (I bought mine for $123 a few months ago). But this is an awesome performer for the price. I was going to go with a 2011 server build but 12 core/24 thread for what is looking like less than $200 is just too good for me to pass up.

There's also a pretty extensive thread on AT about this chip. Been thinking about this as an upgrade to my 920 since it's about the only way to go without a complete overhaul. Not entirely sure it would work with my X58A-UD3R v1.0 and I just don't know if I'd really get anything out of it as I don't do much media conversion or other heavy lifting multi-core tasks. I think my next overhaul will mainly be to get up to speed on power savings and SATA3 ports but this could be a good stopgap, $80 isn't a lot to ask for. Decisions...

In for 2. I bought 2 of these before people knew wtf they were. The CPUID screenshot on the previous page is mine actually. I ran it in an asus consumer board at 3.4ghz. the Bclck was the limiting factor if i remember right because the multiplier is so.

Once overclocked these are going to eat a ton of power, right? If I remember when hex core first gen i7's were near their voltage limit they used like 100 watts more than hex core phenom 2's at similar clock speeds. They had similarly high idle power usage.

At stock 60 watt TDP sounds great though.

Once overclocked these are going to eat a ton of power, right? If I remember when hex core first gen i7's were near their voltage limit they used like 100 watts more than hex core phenom 2's at similar clock speeds. They had similarly high idle power usage.

At stock 60 watt TDP sounds great though.

we'll find out. I plan to compare it against my FX-8320, based on what im reading it should outperform my FX8320 in multithreaded tasks despite a 1ghz clock difference. *fingers crossed that it works in the sabertooth board i ordered...*

any decent mobos? I'd like to overclock this to at least the turbo clock frequencies. I might just wait a bit and pick up a SR2..

There's also a pretty extensive thread on AT about this chip. Been thinking about this as an upgrade to my 920 since it's about the only way to go without a complete overhaul. Not entirely sure it would work with my X58A-UD3R v1.0 and I just don't know if I'd really get anything out of it as I don't do much media conversion or other heavy lifting multi-core tasks. I think my next overhaul will mainly be to get up to speed on power savings and SATA3 ports but this could be a good stopgap, $80 isn't a lot to ask for. Decisions...
I wouldn't, especially if you have an i7 920 running at 4GHz since you don't need the extra cores/threads.

With turbo. The turbo multiplier is 20, so in lightly threaded loads you'll get to 4 ghz with a 200 BCLK. Some motherboards are also capable of locking processors into the higher turbo, although I don't know if there are any that would do it with this processor.

Also, some motherboards are capable of reaching 220+ BCLK.

Hmm this has me drooling. If only my ecc ram could handle that. Did the SR2 have a divider?

For those wondering on capability, if your board accepts a L5640, it should work with these, they are the same chip, only the multi is down one.

@gigatexal - If you have specific questions for this on an SR2 let me know, I ran two of them in my SR2 for 2 years or so I think. I can try and answer questions, what divider are you talking about (I am blanking atm, shoot me a PM for it if you want info)

Hmm this has me drooling. If only my ecc ram could handle that. Did the SR2 have a divider?

In for 2. I bought 2 of these before people knew wtf they were. The CPUID screenshot on the previous page is mine actually. I ran it in an asus consumer board at 3.4ghz. the Bclck was the limiting factor if i remember right because the multiplier is so.

So the odds are good it will work in Asus p6t delux v1? lol Were you surprised to see your screenshot posted again from long ago?

Last edited:
How would these compare to 1366 i7 quads? I'm assuming they're Gulftown, so the IPC should be roughly the same at the identical clocks?

So for the guys that are running 4ghz i7s it wouldn't be much of an upgrade unless they push the chip to 3.6 to 4.0 range?

Will not be much of an upgrade unless you need a 6 core over a 4 core. The same argument has been hashed out plenty of times. Clock for Clock they will perform the same, but unless you have a need, or undying want, for a hex core, I would say dont both (if you have a 4.0 ghz i7 quad)

The deal is dead. Move this thread to discussion if you girls want to keep talking about it.

The deal is dead. Move this thread to discussion if you girls want to keep talking about it.

On the contrary, there are other users contributing eBay links with the item still in stock (at the time of this posting) for a similar price.

So, the deal continues and so does the talk. ;)

deal is not dead...i posted a new link in op although shipping from HongKong now

I caved and bought one. Never thought I would be getting a hex core for around $80. Heck, I just bought an i3 a few days ago for $140!

Now I hope my board is compatible, haha.

These are a great part..they are 32nm Gulftowns (aka Westmere-EP), the same as the 970/980/990 design...I almost bought a pair of them for $85 each back in July, along with a used SR-2 for $300 for a friend's budget ($$ wise, not power wise) server build...

They should do 3.4~3.6Ghz on a decent MB that will lock the turbo multiplier in (every Asus board I ever used did this) and the "average" BLK range (188-200) and up to 3.8/3.9 on a board that loves high BLK...Both my Asus Rampage II and III did 218/222 using a chip just like these but was only a QC...

You will have to play with Vtt and not be afraid to push it farily high for most boards once you get over the ~210 BLK mark from what I remember..IMPORTANT: For those of you that have been outta the 1366 O/C'ing seen, PLEASE remember to keep your IMC voltage(Vtt on Asus boards) and your RAM voltage within .5V of each other at all times, or you will cook the IMC of the chip quite fast..This shouldn't be that big a deal now that we have such lower power DDR3 DIMMs, unlike the older 1.65V+ stuff which required a Vtt of at least 1.05V..

Unlike SB/IB and even Haswell, these chips will LOVE high memory speeds...Don't worry about using a divider, just push for the highest speed you can while still keeping a 1T Command Rate..

Don't bother paying a high price for old triple channel DDR3 kits..I would get either a pair of dual channel kits, and just run 3, or if you are worried about the DIMMs working together, then get a quad channel kit and just use 3..I did this when I jumped up from 6GB to 12GB of ram..It was much cheaper to buy the 4 channel 4x4GB (2133Mhz) kit then a 3x4GB (1600) kit, that I couldn't reuse later on without buying another single DIMM:rolleyes:...

SR-2 (for dual CPUs), Asus Rampage III, Rampage Gene and the Asus Sabretooth X58 were excellent boards..The S.tooth X58 especially, since it O/C'd very well, and was much cheaper then the ROG branded boards despite being equal in quality/features..IF you want to push this puppies to the max BLK wise, then I would stick with these. It pains me to recommend an Asus product since their warranty support has taken such a huge shit, but since these boards are all going to be used anyway, there is no sense in not buying the best you can..

Yes, you can use a memory divider to keep your ram in spec, but if you ran has no O/C'ing headroom, you are going to be limited to how much you can push the BLK, since there are predefined straps for memory..Most 1333 *Should* be able to do at least ~1500, which should give you plenty of headroom..

I would also suggest a decent AIO WC for these, like the H80 or better, since they can get a lil toasty with a lot of voltage..Luckily most seem to o/c in the 3.4Ghz range with hardly any Vcore..

Done. I found my next project!

I'm definitely going to get some H80s.

24 threads at 3.6ghz+ can't wait.

I think I will sell of my Z68X 1155 setup for a 1366 rig again. The prices of the 3770k is just too damn pricey atm and I hate the way Intel cpu's overclock (through K variant proc) only after 1155.

Just bit on one. Figure I can sell my 920 to recoup the cost of this anyways, so I figured why not. :cool:

Will not be much of an upgrade unless you need a 6 core over a 4 core. The same argument has been hashed out plenty of times. Clock for Clock they will perform the same, but unless you have a need, or undying want, for a hex core, I would say dont both (if you have a 4.0 ghz i7 quad)

I think it will be a HUGE upgrade for programs like bd_rebuilder that shrink Blur rays to dvd5 size. Should reduce time by 30% and save at least an hour from those type of projects

If I'm not overclocking, what motherboards might I look at for either 1 or 2 socket in an ATX form factor? I'm still rocking a q9550 which is due for an upgrade at some point.

Looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182192

$T2eC16hHJGMFFo,U!BKuBSShg1n+S!~~60_12.JPG

Only thing that comes to my mind...but $400 dollars:mad:

I'm wondering if there is still anywhere besides eBay one can buy a new socket 1366 consumer board? Anyone know if there are some businesses still selling these boards?

The only new board I see (that's not off eBay) is that SR-2 which at $400 for older tech just doesn't seem worth it IMO.

I'm wondering if there is still anywhere besides eBay one can buy a new socket 1366 consumer board? Anyone know if there are some businesses still selling these boards?

The only new board I see (that's not off eBay) is that SR-2 which at $400 for older tech just doesn't seem worth it IMO.

I don't know if any business ever used SR-2s, but I have used several Supermicro dual cpu boards, have to watch out though as some are extra extended atx size. But you can find some on Ebay used for 100-250$.

I think it will be a HUGE upgrade for programs like bd_rebuilder that shrink Blur rays to dvd5 size. Should reduce time by 30% and save at least an hour from those type of projects

Thanks for proving my point, I said it would be an upgrade IF you need the extra cores, the majority of users here would not benefit (on average), if your doing video stuff, yes it will probably be better

PIC OF SR2

Only thing that comes to my mind...but $400 dollars:mad:

Far from affordable, however if OC'ing its the only way

I don't know if any business ever used SR-2s, but I have used several Supermicro dual cpu boards, have to watch out though as some are extra extended atx size. But you can find some on Ebay used for 100-250$.

No, I dont think SR2's were ever used on "production" equipment, however the SM's your referring to would be a good choice. You can find them in SSIEEB, E-ATX, possibly ATX.

Back