Intel Xeon L5639 Hexa(6) Core LGA1366 Price:US $79.80 Used Ebay Seller

MrSneis here is my settings.....not a record overclock by any means...but its cool and stable and still has power savings

ree3.jpg
[/IMG]

qhs5.jpg
[/IMG]

v2ac.jpg
[/IMG]

zktm.jpg
[/IMG]

Are they capable of hitting 220? I may have to pick up one of these and see what my P6T6 WS Revo can do with it, it clocked better then my Rampage II.

I've only seen one guy on the Anandtech thread hitting 220. And yeah, I think hitting 220 or not depends entirely on your board. The best way to figure out your board's limit is to lower the multi by as much as possible then increasing the bclk until it stops booting, and finally dropping it by one or two to get the stable bclk. At least that's what I can recall. Overclocking x58 is a real pain.

Mine while stress testing
Snip

After stress testing
Snip

So when idle it drops as low as 2400MHZ do to the multiplier dropping to 12x but changes to 3200MHZ at 16x when being stressed. The after image includes max temps during the test in real temp. All in all this will work for me:)
Anyone else multiplier dropping to 12x when sitting idle?

Change your windows power plan mode to performance or try disabling speedstep, that'll disable the underclocking. You can re-enable it after finding a stable clock.

I've only seen one guy on the Anandtech thread hitting 220. And yeah, I think hitting 220 or not depends entirely on your board. The best way to figure out your board's limit is to lower the multi by as much as possible then increasing the bclk until it stops booting, and finally dropping it by one or two to get the stable bclk. At least that's what I can recall. Overclocking x58 is a real pain.

Change your windows power plan mode to performance or try disabling speedstep, that'll disable the underclocking. You can re-enable it after finding a stable clock.

speedstep has always been disabled...so it must be c-state power savings..but im fine with it for now as I doubt it could really effect performance because it jumps to 3200mhz as soon as cpu is needed. funny thing is you would never know it was doing it unless watching it with HWiNFO64...cpu-z doesn't even see it stepping down its so fast.

Has anyone here getting higher stable blck freq from disabling c-state? As in higher than 200? possibly I can try it

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idle power draw numbers?

I'd be curious to see how much more power efficient these are compared to the 130w standard CPUs.

I'll hook up my kill-a-watt tonight. I can't remember the exact number I was getting with the 920 @ 3.6ghz, but I believe with two 5850's it was 400-450ish. I had my three monitors on the kill-a-watt too though. :eek:

speedstep has always been disabled...so it must be c-state power savings..but im fine with it for now as I doubt it could really effect performance because it jumps to 3200mhz as soon as cpu is needed. funny thing is you would never know it was doing it unless watching it with HWiNFO64...cpu-z doesn't even see it stepping down its so fast.

Has anyone here getting higher stable blck freq from disabling c-state? As in higher than 200? possibly I can try it

I have disabled all of my power saving features.

Currently at 3.8ghz 212x18 multi 1.25vcore and 1.337 QPI. This chip is WAY more QPI dependant than vcore.

After I find my sweet stable spot at 3.8 im going to test 3.6/3.7 and see how low I can get my volts.

Im wondering what would be some advantages of using TURBO?

Last edited:
I'll hook up my kill-a-watt tonight. I can't remember the exact number I was getting with the 920 @ 3.6ghz, but I believe with two 5850's it was 400-450ish. I had my three monitors on the kill-a-watt too though. :eek:

that would be awesome - thanks

is 400-450w your idle wattage? That sounds pretty high - even with the monitors + 5850 in cf

MrSneis here is my settings.....not a record overclock by any means...but its cool and stable and still has power savings

Thanks!

Indeed it was, ah the memories.

Go into the Real Temp folder, and open the RealTemp_GT.exe. That will show all your cores.

Is it IntelBurnTest passing and stable? I managed to reach 200 now

88ua.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Have not had time to do stress testing yet. Out of town this week so it willhave to wait till I get back.

I see others are able to use an even higher bclk, so I may have to tweak settings more.

Not sure how high I want to push the QPI voltage though. I may be at the limit for my board.

Went ahead and disabled all power savings suck as c state type settings and put the multiplier back to 18x, despite the fact the cores will drop back down to 16 when loaded (almost the exact reverse of c state lol) Now I have noticed if hyper-threading is disabled it will lock into 18x but when i tried BF4 for example it actually seemed to hitch and stutter easily twice as bad. Just an fyi the power savings only seemed to save around 20-30 watts so not a big jump in usage there. For a system easily over 4 years old, I can't help be impressed it still handles new games like bf4 well, and with a newer video card in the next few weeks, it can only get better.

1rqn.jpg
[/URL]

I hear people crying left and right their cpu is 100% fully loaded playing bf4 beta...heck I could actually encode bluerays with bd-rebuilder while playing at the same time.:)

So, I have mine clocked to 3.2ghz with all six cores.. When it goes up to 3.6ghz is that on just one core, or two?

Went ahead and disabled all power savings suck as c state type settings and put the multiplier back to 18x, despite the fact the cores will drop back down to 16 when loaded (almost the exact reverse of c state lol) Now I have noticed if hyper-threading is disabled it will lock into 18x but when i tried BF4 for example it actually seemed to hitch and stutter easily twice as bad. Just an fyi the power savings only seemed to save around 20-30 watts so not a big jump in usage there. For a system easily over 4 years old, I can't help be impressed it still handles new games like bf4 well, and with a newer video card in the next few weeks, it can only get better.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/1rqn.jpg/][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img41/5821/1rqn.jpg[/IM G][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

I hear people crying left and right their cpu is 100% fully loaded playing bf4 beta...heck I could actually encode bluerays with bd-rebuilder while playing at the same time.:)

So what was your max CPU load with HT disabled? Was it close to double (I see 40% max with HT enabled in the screen)? Does BF4 even utilize more than 4 cores/threads? I'm wondering if it will benefit more from clock speed or more cores/threads. I suppose it doesn't matter much either way though because if you're playing at any decent resolution your GPU is going to be your largest bottleneck by far. That GTX 280 definitely isn't doing you any favors in BF4 too, hah. What res are you playing at in the screenshot? Looks something like 1024x768 and the IQ looks pretty low, so 45 FPS with all that is pretty bad, heh. :p

So what was your max CPU load with HT disabled? Was it close to double (I see 40% max with HT enabled in the screen)? Does BF4 even utilize more than 4 cores/threads? I'm wondering if it will benefit more from clock speed or more cores/threads. I suppose it doesn't matter much either way though because if you're playing at any decent resolution your GPU is going to be your largest bottleneck by far. That GTX 280 definitely isn't doing you any favors in BF4 too, hah. What res are you playing at in the screenshot? Looks something like 1024x768 and the IQ looks pretty low, so 45 FPS with all that is pretty bad, heh. :p

lol that screenshot really doesn't do it justice.....i play at 1080p.all med or off completly ...waiting for the new cards to land so the old ones will retire very soon..and tbh the hole maps looks kinda bad once the tower falls and dust is everywhere like fog....i will upload a better shot...that one was just for showing cpu usage...

and yes....if i disable hyper threading...the cpu usage doubles to 80%...so i guess it uses more than 6 cores...tbh it could just be load balancing.....i can do a shot showing the task manager in better detail latter tonight...maybe some way to tell

gyfe.jpg
[/URL]

0rz1.jpg
[/URL]

wc6b.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
So, I have mine clocked to 3.2ghz with all six cores.. When it goes up to 3.6ghz is that on just one core, or two?
thy all go up...but they go back down seperatly as there being used....tbh it really depends on what mb your using...the asus p6t series work but do have little issues

Would the ASUS Rampage III Formula work with this CPU? If so, I'm definitely going to buy it.

I just got my chip yesterday and threw it on a sabertooth x58. Got everything setup at 1am, but havent done any overclocking yet. Im very happy with the performance im seeing already, but my last system was a core 2 duo E6600.

Wowza!. Wanna buy all of them at once?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Rotfl!!! Wow, no piecemeal with that one! If I had a Tad over a quarter million in pocket money I'd negotiate that one...

Rotfl...

But just think of all the good overclocking cpus you will get in that lot. Reefa_Madness will buy it. Just tell him he will not or dare him.

Rotfl!!! Wow, no piecemeal with that one! If I had a Tad over a quarter million in pocket money I'd negotiate that one...

Rotfl...

I imagine if you offered $100,000 you could get the lot. You can probably come close to tripling your money if you have the patience to sell them individually at the current going rates and don't mind multiple daily trips to the post office and dealing with potential returns.

I imagine if you offered $100,000 you could get the lot. You can probably come close to tripling your money if you have the patience to sell them individually at the current going rates and don't mind multiple daily trips to the post office and dealing with potential returns.

Hmm, wonder if I can get a personal load for 100k...? :p

anybody got this to 4ghz stable yet? ... 4ghz is pushing it, probably not many will hit it... i bet i will :)

ffuccckkk got mine today from hong kong. One looks trashed. Contact pads are scratched to hell. Definitely not happy. See picture below. The grey marks are indents...

ffuccckkk got mine today from hong kong. One looks trashed. Contact pads are scratched to hell. Definitely not happy. See picture below. The grey marks are indents...

Who was the seller u bought from? I have 2 otw from hong kong too and now I'm worried :/

Wow free/cheap shipping is quite slow. My chip "shipped" 10/5 and is still floating around Hong Kong.

Aaaand I fail hard, seller is in California @ same price :(

The link in my earlier post above is not where I got mine. When I bought mine there weren't any Sellers in the US selling them for $80, or under (or at least none that I found at the time), so mine were purchased from Hong Kong also (see my post in page 3 of this thread with a link to that Seller.

It could very well be that when you bought yours there weren't any US listings either.

I wonder why they would even attempt to send something out that looks that bad. I hope you get it fixed from them. Curious to see what the outcome is on this. Keep us updated on it.

"image snip"

Back