Intel Xeon Gold & Xeon Platinum (Skylake-SP) Lineup Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. MS SQL Enterprise list price for 2 cores cost more than a 28C 8180M CPU for example at its list price. And with Oracle for example you can pay ~20% of your purchase cost in mandatory yearly "support".

Hardware is dirt cheap.

There are at least 3 dies to begin with, lowest one with 10 cores.

Due to how software licensing works. Its often cheaper and better to have less fast cores than more slower cores. And some takes performance over cores at any cost (Financial transactions). SQL is a classic example of the licensing issue with between 3700 to 14000$ per core as list price. That's right, 14000 for enterprise SQL for a single core. If you got 28 cores that's 28x14000$.

Scaling of software isn't always what you think it is. More cores can actually give less performance besides the usual diminishing returns.

Example:
chris-hillman-beyond-mapreduce-scientific-data-processing-in-realtime-6-638.jpg

Thats daylight robbery, charging 14k per cpu core for software is nuts, but I suppose if you can afford a 28 core cpu then licensing costs usually wont be a problem.

Thats daylight robbery, charging 14k per cpu core for software is nuts, but I suppose if you can afford a 28 core cpu then licensing costs usually wont be a problem.

Its per 2 cores.

And dont you mean the other way around, if you can afford 200K$ in the SQL alone, then a 13K or less CPU wont make much of an entry in the budget.

If we somehow imagined 7601 and 8180M performing the same. Then you would lose ~15K for picking the 7601 even if it was free.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/...s-xeon-scalable-designed-ground-data-centers/

Xeon-software-testers.jpg

More interesting than Intel’s own benchmarks were performance numbers reported by software companies that were given early access to Xeon scalable. Running its cloud based video stitching application optimized for the new platform, Tencent saw a 72 percent gain, and SAS, running its business analytics stack, reported a doubling of performance over Xeon’s last generation.

Google also reported how Skylake is 40% faster with same binaries and 100% faster with code tuning.

Using your logic, we would conclude that AMD shills and biased sites don't exist, because Intel would pay them more.

AMD shills, Intel Shills makes no difference and I can assure you if there were shills most would favour Nvidia or Intel over AMD because that is where the cookie is. Lets just assume there is a level of professionalism and free for bias or prejudice and leave the tinfoil hat society to their own.

There is a common trend with all your posts all over the internet. If you agree you follow it rabidly, if it is against what you accept as tolerable you bandy up the shill brigade pony. It is hard to take you seriously because of that and your history of anti AMD position makes it even less likely to take you anything more than face value. I guess that is why you venture now into these parts which is notoriously pro Intel/Nvidia, not surprising you have found the bandwagon.

Nice strawman...cute, but boring.

We have had the new Intel CPU's for a while...it's very common for us to have hardware before it is offically launched...hence why I often laugh a rumors threads when we have had the actual hardware for some time, despite it not being officially "launched".
That is for Intel though.
AMD is very abscent...no servers containg AMD CPU's are planned, but we have plans for new servers with the new Intel CPU's.
My bet is that this time next year...we will have +5K servers with Intel CPU's...and zero with AMD hardware.

AMD has got an uphill battle to get into data-centers...and PR slides will do them no good at all...this is corporate-land, not PR FUD hype fanboy-land.

Like I said I think one of our vendors has a AMD file server on their roadmaps...a single server...guess how that shapes AMD's odds of getting into our datacenters?

no doubt that AMD and those with decision making power had the task of walk before run, AMD needs to get in and maybe hedge a certain market segment and earn income on that before actually being a big cheese player in a market they have been absent from for 10-15 years. The eco system is favourable to intel and so are optimizations but the success for AMD is some entry points and perhaps some adaptations and optimizations. This is a very long project and anyone thinking AMD was just going to run in with 50% share gain is deluded. That being said 5-10% is sizeable income given the lesser operation costs and a start.

AMD shills, Intel Shills makes no difference and I can assure you if there were shills most would favour Nvidia or Intel over AMD because that is where the cookie is. Lets just assume there is a level of professionalism and free for bias or prejudice and leave the tinfoil hat society to their own.

There is a common trend with all your posts all over the internet. If you agree you follow it rabidly, if it is against what you accept as tolerable you bandy up the shill brigade pony. It is hard to take you seriously because of that and your history of anti AMD position makes it even less likely to take you anything more than face value. I guess that is why you venture now into these parts which is notoriously pro Intel/Nvidia, not surprising you have found the bandwagon.

I work enterprise...in my book AMD makes PR FUD, Intel delivers...hence why we have ~20 AMD servers (on their way out) and +5000 Intel servers (more comming in).
That is the reality in Enterprise...not matter PR FUD and shills...like it or not.

no doubt that AMD and those with decision making power had the task of walk before run, AMD needs to get in and maybe hedge a certain market segment and earn income on that before actually being a big cheese player in a market they have been absent from for 10-15 years. The eco system is favourable to intel and so are optimizations but the success for AMD is some entry points and perhaps some adaptations and optimizations. This is a very long project and anyone thinking AMD was just going to run in with 50% share gain is deluded. That being said 5-10% is sizeable income given the lesser operation costs and a start.

Then AMD needs to do more than PR FUD...because the PR FUD they are doing ATM...is a sure way to not get any business from our end.
I am one of the guys they need to convice..and they are not even doing a piss-poor job...they are not even doing the freaking job!

I guess if they spent more on vendor relations and less on paid forums-shills the situation would be quite another...but here we are...

Then AMD needs to do more than PR FUD...because the PR FUD they are doing ATM...is a sure way to not get any business from our end.
I am one of the guys they need to convice..and they are not even doing a piss-poor job...they are not even doing the freaking job!

I guess if they spent more on vendor relations and less on paid forums-shills the situation would be quite another...but here we are...

I am sure they are irrespective of what your opinion of the situation is. The general undertow doesn't seem like convincing is possible but there are other fish in the sea.

I agree partially on the first part and disagree violently on the second part. :)

I am not anti-AMD. I am anti-FUD, anti-BS, anti-nonsense. Remember all our discussions about 14LPP and Zen before launch? I was not anti AMD, I was just stating that 5GHz on air was nonsense, and I explained why...

Same when I did fight other nonsenses and BS such as "16CU on Bristol", "Fury X an overclocker's dream", "HBM on Carrizo", "R7-1800X 60% more efficient that Broadwell",...

I continue fighting nonsense, BS, and FUD today, such as that from fanboys and shills pretending that the i9 7900X has a TDP of 400W, pretending that EPYC will get 15% of marketshare in Q4,...

Take the first case. A guy in a SA forum took the 376W that consumes an i9 massively overclocked at 4.8GHz, rounded that value to 400W, and claimed that the real TDP of the i9 is "~400W" and that Intel lied the TDP by "3x", I am not being anti-AMD, when I report he is posting BS, and when I demonstrate that the TDP is 140W.

Last edited:
Michael Feldman impressed by HPC capabilities:

The Linpack numbers are certainly impressive on the high-end SKUs. A server equipped with two 28-core Xeon Platinum 8180 processors, running at 2.5 GHz, turned in a result of 3007.8 gigaflops on the benchmark, which means each chip can deliver about 1.5 Linpack teraflops. That’s more than twice the performance of the original 32-core “Knights Ferry” Xeon Phi processor, and even better than the 50-core “Knights Corner” chip released in 2012. Even the current “Knights Landing” generation of Xeon Phi tops out at about 2 teraflops on Linpack using 72 cores.

I am sure they are irrespective of what your opinion of the situation is. The general undertow doesn't seem like convincing is possible but there are other fish in the sea.

You are right, paid forum shills or PR FUD won't change my mind....so AMD needs to do something differently in order to have a chance..that I agree with you on.

You don't work in Enterprise, that is obvious.
We broker of old servers too...but their re-sale value is a joke compared to the new prize.

And the big cost is not the hardware...it's software licenses that takes the cake there...you need to flip your world view upside down I suspect.
You got me! I confess. I don't work in enterprise. But I appreciate your post.

You don't work in Enterprise, that is obvious.
We broker of old servers too...but their re-sale value is a joke compared to the new prize.

And the big cost is not the hardware...it's software licenses that takes the cake there...you need to flip your world view upside down I suspect.
Cold you elaborate on how software drives your hardware purchases vs cost of electricity etc? I would appreciate a real answer

Yep. MS SQL Enterprise list price for 2 cores cost more than a 28C 8180M CPU for example at its list price. And with Oracle for example you can pay ~20% of your purchase cost in mandatory yearly "support".

Hardware is dirt cheap.
Has all software moved to per core pricing? Or just Microsoft?

Has all software moved to per core pricing? Or just Microsoft?

The majority is based on core pricing one way or the other. If you can avoid core pricing its based on per user pricing.

You are right, paid forum shills or PR FUD won't change my mind....so AMD needs to do something differently in order to have a chance..that I agree with you on.

did you suggest you use forums to assist your choices? like a public forum is ever a great idea to base a decision on. For example the only place more toxic with pro Intel than Anandtech and Toms is this place, some would say SA is pro AMD but given the sheer hits it is such a small inconsequential community.

I normally go around taking everyones word on the internet. I mean the heads in this place are so big I can hit them from 1000m with my mauser 308.

did you suggest you use forums to assist your choices? like a public forum is ever a great idea to base a decision on. For example the only place more toxic with pro Intel than Anandtech and Toms is this place, some would say SA is pro AMD but given the sheer hits it is such a small inconsequential community.

I normally go around taking everyones word on the internet. I mean the heads in this place are so big I can hit them from 1000m with my mauser 308.

AT being pro Intel? Wow that's a new record :)

AMD have a history of buying forum mods if you didn't know. It goes back to XS.

And now we have AMD Advertorials. AT was also AMD sponsored at a time, at least publicly sponsored ;)

Techreport is owned by an AMD marketing employee and so on.

Like I said, no posts from paid forumshills will change my mind.
It might give AMD something to brag about in consumer-market...but it will do them NOTHING in the more profitable enterprise market...infact the opposite...the more FUD I have to read form paid AMD shills...the greater my aversion towards the company.

They are peeing in their pants (paying for shills on consumer-forums) to keep warm in a winternight (does nothing for enterprise).

You can dislike it...but those are the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back