Intel X299 Chipset and Intel Core i7-7740K Spotted in the Wild [Rumor]

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Videocardz has found an Intel i7-7740K paired with an ASRock X299 Professional Gaming i7 motherboard in the Sisoft database. Some of the features are a new socket LGA2066, and the lack of an integrated GPU. The new i7-7740K has a 100 MHz higher base clock and thus an increased TDP from 91W to 112W. Is a quad core going to become the entry level processor for Intel's HEDT platform?

Intel Kaby Lake-X is the first architecture that will launch in Intel X299 chipset. Later on, Intel will release Skylake-X with 6, 8 and 10-core configurations. Those processors will have more PCIE lanes than Kaby Lake X (up to 44, versus 16 lanes for KBL-X) and quad-channel memory support.

I think you borked the main page with this rumor...
getting 520 error on main page for the last 30 min or so.

edit: it working now

Last edited:
I thought the exteme cpu's come out one year after the regular cpu's come out. or did they stop doing the delay?

Videocardz has found an Intel i7-7740K paired with an ASRock X299 Professional Gaming i7 motherboard in the Sisoft database. Some of the features are a new socket LGA2066, and the lack of an integrated GPU. The new i7-7740K has a 100 MHz higher base clock and thus an increased TDP from 91W to 112W. Is a quad core going to become the entry level processor for Intel's HEDT platform?

Intel Kaby Lake-X is the first architecture that will launch in Intel X299 chipset. Later on, Intel will release Skylake-X with 6, 8 and 10-core configurations. Those processors will have more PCIE lanes than Kaby Lake X (up to 44, versus 16 lanes for KBL-X) and quad-channel memory support.

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel-x299-motherboard-spotted-with-an-i7-7740k-cpu.1928346/

Show me that rumored 200W chip from Intel!! the K chips on the HEDT platforms have fewer pci-e lanes than the X or Xeon chips..

By the way first one to make a 12 core chip with a base clock of 4.0ghz gets my money (I mean Intel or AMD unless of course ARM wants to make desktop/workstation class chips).

7740 seems shifty, 4 core...move on already. Nobody wants a 4 core high end platform for the next what 6 years? Lets move it to 6/8+, optimize for that and lets move forward.
After ryzen nobody will want to pay for an intel 8 core.

LOL. I'll just wait and see what Intel has coming since I' not a fanboi of anything. Competition is good.

Intel has the single core speed advantage, this just plays on their strength. High end gamers should be all over this. Higher TDP concentrated on only four cores and nothing wasted on a GPU... this is the gamer dream CPU that we've been wishing for since Sandy Bridge.

^ Yeah prolly right. Intel is just playing to their strengths. Going all-in on Joe Gamer.

Intel has the single core speed advantage, this just plays on their strength. High end gamers should be all over this. Higher TDP concentrated on only four cores and nothing wasted on a GPU... this is the gamer dream CPU that we've been wishing for since Sandy Bridge.

No it is not it should have more pcie lanes for one and should be 6 cores. What is the point of this chip over a 7700k 100 mhz? However if this thing clocks a bit higer and gets a bost form the quad channel ram it might be a good gaming cpu depending how its priced

Looked in to what information was available on the Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X...made it worthwhile to pull the trigger on a Broadwell-E build.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
No it is not it should have more pcie lanes for one and should be 6 cores. What is the point of this chip over a 7700k 100 mhz? However if this thing clocks a bit higer and gets a bost form the quad channel ram it might be a good gaming cpu depending how its priced
Even if it clocks a little bit higher, it's still crap unless it costs a hell of a lot less, which it very well might assuming the x299 boards cost more due to the inclusion of support for the skylake-x CPUs that will supposedly have more PCI-E lanes.

With the same 4 cores, I don't see this being noticeably faster than a 7700k. A 100mhz boost is only around 2% faster.

As for the quad channel ram, unless you are running benchmarks, I don't see it being much faster than the dual channel DDR4 3200 CAS 14 memory I'm running on my 7700k.

You might be able to use that extra memory bandwidth if this had 6 or 8 cores, but with just a quad core, it's a waste of bandwidth.

It's the same die wired on an X package.

Dual channel memory, 16x to slots, 4x to chipset, dual channel memory. Just more power pads and package tweaks with a soldered IHS.

Any changes to the die and it may as well be true Kaby-x they wont go to the expense of developing a truly new core for such a niche product.

LOL. I'll just wait and see what Intel has coming since I' not a fanboi of anything. Competition is good.
Waiting for your preferred Co. = fanboi of everything!
Buying the best at any given moment = thoughtful consumer.

I thought the exteme cpu's come out one year after the regular cpu's come out. or did they stop doing the delay?
They're allowing the latest 4/6 cores to move up early to have fewer barriers for people to buy the $1500 HEDT cpu upgrades (sales haven't been great but they don't want to lower the price). 8/10 cores still come out a year later.

Seems better to wait for Purley platform and its supported CPU's if you really want a big step up on platform features + Intel HEDT.

Basin Falls really looks like it should've been out in late 2015 or early 2016.

Seems better to wait for Purley platform and its supported CPU's if you really want a big step up on platform features + Intel HEDT.

Basin Falls really looks like it should've been out in late 2015 or early 2016.
Purely (Lewisburg PCH) has the same DMI 3.0 x4 lanes. Remember though that motherboard manufacturers will add USB 3.1/Type-C controllers in addition to what Intel shows (sharing the DMI bandwidth). At least with either option there are enough cpu lanes to add some PCIe cards for missing features (not using DMI) if you have enough room in your case. http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-e5-2699-v5-32-core-geekbench-score-leaked/

Last edited:
Purely (Lewisburg PCH) has the same DMI 3.0 x4 lanes.
That is because its not a limitation nor something you should really care much about at all.

The integrated 10Gbe controllers, 100Gb (Storm Lake) bus, and possible FPGA support is what makes Purley so damn interesting and a real step up from the current X99 platform.

Seems to me like two steps back on HEDT. We already had 6 core entry level for two previous generations. WTF Intel?

You really want me to go AMD that badly do you?

I could only see this work if they position the 4 core below the the previous 6 core entry processors. Thereby creating a new lower tier entry into the HEDT platform.

Thats been the problem with HEDT, its high end on last years tech. You'd think high end would be the latest of everything now.

untitled-2.png

A quad core on an hedt board?

Why? Just for fun? Cause you need quad channel memory but six cores is overkill?

Back